Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Renting with dogs

Old 09-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Howler
Been Around A While

Renting with dogs

So i have just downsized into a small 1 bed flat with my charlie now that my mum is hospitalised full time and what a lot a fun and games it was finding somewhere else that accepted pets!

I didnt realise landlords were so 'anti-dog', I could provide references from my vet and current landlord attesting to the fact that my dog is well behaved, and he is crated when alone so no worries about 'destruction of property' but still the answer was always no.

Is it like this everywhere or just where i am in the uk? Have y'all had problems finding somewhere that takes dogs? I've only a short tenancy on this place as it has no garden so its lots of on lead pee breaks for my boy, and it needs loads of work to make it half way decent.

Why are they so worried about dogs though? I even looked on a pet friends letting site, and there were hardly any properties on there. Sad times for dog owners who rent

Howler and her CharlieBoy
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

unfortunatly its the bad pet owners that ruin it for everyone. I know where I live it is hard to find a place that will rent to people with pets, and the ones that do usually require a higher rental fee and/or pet deposit.

That may be something you could do is offer a pet deposit to ease the landlords mind about damages.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
elsasmom
Been Around A While

So sorry to hear you're having a hard time with housing. I always had the idea that the UK was more enlightened about dogs than we are here in the USA. When I was there in 2003, I saw dogs everywhere; in restaurants and retail stores and on beaches. Have things changed so much or is it just where you live? I hope you're able to find a nice place for you and Charlie to settle in. I'd hate to be looking for a place here in Midwestern US to rent with my crew. It would never happen

PS- sorry to hear about your Mum being in hospital.

Last edited by elsasmom : 09-26-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: postscript
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Yes, it's very difficult to find a place to rent even with a very small dog or even a cat. So many people don't take adequate care to make sure there are no messes in the house and the damage from pet waste is expensive to repair.

Many years ago I had a cat and no one would rent to me. I literally searched for a place where the landlord lived hundreds of miles away and told him I had no pets.

It would be much more difficult to hide a dog.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Momto3
Been Around A While

Moving can't take pet...see it all the time. Got two of mine from rescue for just that reason.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Moving can't take pet...see it all the time. Got two of mine from rescue for just that reason.
...so sad for people to be presented with the problem of not being able to find a roof over the heads of themselves with their pets Bless you for taking them in.
If I ever lost my home, where would I go with a dog, 4 cats, 3 chickens and 2 ducks? I couldn't bear to think of it.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
JessicaR
Been Around A While

This is whats happening in my city. Lots of people are loosing their homes/jobs. when it comes down to feeding your kids or pets the pets loose. Our humane society is full, they are turning people down.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion