Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies » Protection Dog Breed???

Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Protection Dog Breed???

I am considering moving and I always said if I was to move out on my own single, I would have a protection dog.

I know german shepards are known for being protection dogs, but what else would be a good breed to get? I do not want anything bigger than a GSD.

Any suggestions? I want a breed that will protect me when something is wrong, as in a bugular...

I also love Dobermans...? But I think they are too big???
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Lyka_01
Site Regular

Rottweiler is another suggestion...

Rottweilers make great guard dogs and family companions. Their protective instincts ensure their immediate action once a family or 'pack' member is threatened by an intruder or a dangerous action. Massive in size, these dogs grow to a height of 24 to 27 inches (61 to 69 cm) and weigh between 93 to 110 pounds (42 to 50 kg)....

another one is Bull Mastiff...

Bull Mastiffs are crossbreeds composed of 60% Mastiff and 40% Bulldog. Their appearance alone is intimidating. These dogs are tall, standing at a height between 25 and 27 inches (63 and 69 cm), and heavy, weighing from 110 to 130 pounds (50 to 60 kg). Wonderful guard dogs, Bull Mastiffs usually knock intruders down and stand above them, baring their teeth and growling threateningly....Because of their sheer size, Bull Mastiffs also serve as guard dogs by preventing aggressors from moving past them. These dogs are fiercely loyal to their people and regard strangers warily. Hence, early socialization is crucial to ensure that Bull Mastiffs do not become aggressive against people they do not know.
Lyka_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
bootscar1
Been Around A While

So many variables when you ask that question ...... lol you have to look at what you want for the future also ie .. grooming , energy level , good with kids, size etc etc etc .. On a dog breed site that I visit sometimes I just did a search for guard dogs and here is a link to some that they recommend.. I would probably lean towards a bull dog although they are a strong breed to train they are compact and loyal and love kids .

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/guarddogs.htm

Good luck on your search let us know what you decide..
Personally I believe that mostly any dog will protect the master if in danger and is a deterent for burglars ....
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootscar1 View Post
Personally I believe that mostly any dog will protect the master if in danger and is a deterent for burglars ....
I'm with ya on that! Had a mail lady once who refused to deliver my mail (box on the front of the house) because two cockers were barking ferociously inside the house. The neighbor even told her the dogs were indoors yet she refused to deliver. She actually threw the mail over the fence and took off! One of my boys sounds much larger than what he is so he's a good deterrent even though he'd only lick the intruder to death.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootscar1 View Post
TOTALLY AGREE. Both Elsa and a Springer that I had went from "love everybody and lick their faces" to "barking, growling, hackles raised" in situations that were actually threatening to me. Both times, I was absolutely taken aback by the out of character protective behavior of my always easy going dog. As soon as the threat passed and the questionable men went in the other direction, they returned to tail wagging normality.
It's amazing to see. I prefer this type of dog to a "Guard" type of dog so there is less danger to benevolent strangers that we meet on the street or who come to my house._Marie
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I also agree with bootscar1 and others. The most inportant thing is to get a dog that fits your lifestyle and that works for your schedule.

There is a HUGE difference between a "Guard Dog" and a "protection dog". IMHO, any medium, large or XL dog can make a great protection dog if you follow the above guidelines. Chip was great at it, and so is Neka and Patchs in their own and different ways.

While Neka looks much more intimidating, Patchs is much more vocal and tends to "Show" more protections signs. Neka can just look at ppl and make them think twice before coming close. On the other hand, Patchs gets the hair on her back, neck and tail up, and combined with her body language, it gives a much clearer sign that ppl should not come near.

The bottom line (IMO) is: A protection dog can be any breed as long as it loves and respect you. That's what makes it "want" to protect you. Building a proper bond with a dog will ensure a lifetime of loyal service to you.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Momto3
Been Around A While

LOL - the most aggressive dog I ever owned was....a CHIHUAHUA!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
LOL - the most aggressive dog I ever owned was....a CHIHUAHUA!
I have a friend that has a Yorkie that will take you if you open the door and the owner is not standing there!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Yall are great!

I just know Tigger wouldnt hurt a fly, and Shara would be hurt if she tried to protect me. Tigger has been around strangers his whole life and has been taught to accept strangers, I dont think he would do anything. Come up and wag his tail and jump up and lick em.

I have had stalkers, people break in my car, ect...and other stuff happen...so I really do want a dog that will do something if I am in trouble.

I always carry pepper spray as it is.

~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I've seen Cerbie get pretty protective of both me and his wieners. You should see his face if somebody picks Brigit up without asking me at the dogpark. They have a Cerbie in their face with his hackles raised, and he'll be giving them that wonderful herding dog eye.

The point was: I think unless you'll be doing protection training, it's a gamble whether or not the dog will "instinctively" know to guard. I've walked into ppl's houses with shepherds, rottis, pit bulls, and all kinds of big dogs that are considered guardians, to have them sit in my lap and let me rub their belly. Usually just the sight/sound of a dog is enough to deter people

Another thing: It'll be harder to rent with a large protective-type dog when you move. Just something to think about.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies