Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies » Evaluation!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Evaluation!

I finally heard back from the trainer and she is going to evaluate Baloo on June 5th to see if he's ready for Rally classes. If so, we start in early June. If not, we do some more work first, possibly some individual training classes. I think he's ready but we'll see what Jenn thinks.
I've done a lot of groundwork and then had to sit and wait until the right class came available, so I've been kind of antsy for the past month. It's a busy time of year for training classes but I think the timing is good for Baloo! He still can't do any jumps for awhile yet, but the rest should be a blast! I'm so excited!

Next weekend we will be going to the American Working Dog Federations tracking trials in Indianapolis. Hopefully Baloo will come home with a tracking dog title, but even if he blows it (and he might!), we'll be watching the pros compete for variable surface tracking titles that same day. Someday he may be out there with them!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
bootscar1
Been Around A While

We never stop learning with our dogs. Good luck with the Rally courses I hope you get in and the tracking tournament, that must be so much fun to do and to watch ! I have always been fasinated with those types of tournaments ..

Judy
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

We started training for the tracking trial as soon as he came to live with me at 9 weeks old, so he's actually pretty good at it. The problem comes at the end, when he finds the article. Sometimes he picks it up and runs with it like he's carrying the olympic torch, sometimes he picks it up and slings it into the air, and sometimes he gets it right and simply sits by it to mark it.
He's 7 months old now and beginning to leave some of the puppy antics behind him. This particular event is only held once a year, so we'll just do the best we can and learn from it.

The Rally thing...I think he's ready, but I'm his Mama. The class begins the second week of June, and he has to have the basics in obedience down, which I think he does. All depends on what the trainer thinks though.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

Pretty darn cool for a young-un! Go Baloo!!!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Good luck on the upcoming trials and classes ... Baloo is such a great pup!!! No matter what, you have every right to be proud.

Savor the "puppy antics" they will be a distant memory soon enough!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

I am delighted to read about some other type of competition. I really get tired of reading a dog shouldn't be bred unless it is a successful show dog. Go for it.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Rally is a relaxing and fun experience. You can talk to your dog in the ring and stuff. I think Baloo will excel in it.

The tracking sounds awsome. I am sure yall will do great and meet lots of people and learn lots of things.

Most importantly have fun! =) And dont forget to get pics! Haha!
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDog4U View Post
Savor the "puppy antics" they will be a distant memory soon enough!!!
Oh, but I have been! It's been WAY different...working with a pup as opposed to an adult dog. I have to say that an adult dog is easier to train, even an unsocialized dog with no manners. A puppy's attention span is a formidable opponent and was hard for me to adjust to! I'm so glad to have experienced a pup though!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
Rally is a relaxing and fun experience. You can talk to your dog in the ring and stuff. I think Baloo will excel in it.

The tracking sounds awsome. I am sure yall will do great and meet lots of people and learn lots of things.

Most importantly have fun! =) And dont forget to get pics! Haha!
Yeah, I think Rally is perfect for Baloo! And it will lay groundwork to go in any number of directions later. I'm pretty excited about it!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #10
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I went out this morning and laid tracks at two completely new (to Baloo) locations, worried that he does well here because he knows the yard so well and also worried that I have habits I'm not aware of when laying a track, so had my daughter do a third one for me in a field near her house. He did fine on all 3, and only threw the article once. lol

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies