Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » Welcoming new litter

Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Red face Welcoming new litter

So excited! Today my Nikki gave brith to 5 happy healthy puppies 4 boys and a girl. They're so beautiful! Unfortunately this is her second litter and her nothing instinct has not kicked in so she may have to be spayed. Her sister is so great though, she goes in and cleans them and tries to nurse them. Her and her sister just have had to litters so close to each other it's been a lot of work around here, but we couldn't be happier besides from all the excitement were a little sad as we will not be breeding again for at least another year. The girls have each had two litters now and they deserve a break. We went out and bought Nikki a little pair of under pants with ruffles she looks so cute. They're called "Fancy Pants" they're adorable! As soon as I have some better pics I'll share them. I've been so busy since the last litter was born April 29th that I've hardly had time for anything, but I just wanted to say hi and announce my happy news
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Sounds like she needs to be spayed. Make sure you force her to nurse the puppies for at least the first 48 hours so the puppies can get the all important colosterum.

I too have been very busy, but things are starting to wind down. My kids baseball and softball tournaments are soon, 4h is done at the end of this month, Emily goes back to the guide dog school next month, and Belle is going to have a litter of puppies (hopefully) August 23rd.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
Momto3
Been Around A While

Am all for spay/neuter but then I take the ones no one else wants...too many bred equals too many homeless and too many killed. JMO
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Am all for spay/neuter but then I take the ones no one else wants...too many bred equals too many homeless and too many killed. JMO
Yes she will have to be spayed. She didn't care for her first litter but I wanted to give her another chance. I'm al for spaying/neutering too, all my pups have spat/neuter contracts and of course they all have homes before they're even born. In always careful too in selecting a home. I do everything I can too, to assure none of my pups go into a shelter, ever! My prospective owners all sign contracts that star they can never give up ownership, that a puppy is a life long commitment and that if for any reason, any at all they cannot care for the puppy I will take it back at any age. I'm sure most breeders do this too. Any hiw we need sometime off, not just the girls but me too, I've been on pain management for years but the last few months I've been really suffering so besides the girls I need a break too. In the next couple years I'm planning to spay the girls and take in a couple more, hopefully, to keep breeding. As long as my health improves and I can find suitable girls to breed. Anyway thanks guys it was nice chatting
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Sounds like she needs to be spayed. Make sure you force her to nurse the puppies for at least the first 48 hours so the puppies can get the all important colosterum.

I too have been very busy, but things are starting to wind down. My kids baseball and softball tournaments are soon, 4h is done at the end of this month, Emily goes back to the guide dog school next month, and Belle is going to have a litter of puppies (hopefully) August 23rd.
Yes, Ive been holding her down to allow them to nurse which is more difficult this time because of the size of the litter. She protest, but I know how important that colostrum is, so I do everything I can. Her last litter I actually had a pump, and would pump the milk for them. She never produced a lot but it was good enough just for them to get some.

Boy you sure have a lot on your plate too! I'm just glad it summer and my kids are visiting with their father. Except my 5 year old, he keeps us pretty busy too, plus with him starting school in the fall we've got a lot of info to get together. My kids used to play basketball and soccer, they weren't that into it and only played a few seasons, honestly though I don't miss it. Sitting out in the heat watching those games. Anyway I'll be sure to get pics up as soon as i can. They're adorable and the one girl, I've named Pinkie, she is so tiny and sweet ) I'm always in my iPhone so I can't post pics from it. I have to wait until I have time to get to the computer. Well thanks guys and I'll talk to you soon
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggie_momma View Post
I do everything I can too, to assure none of my pups go into a shelter, ever! My prospective owners all sign contracts that star they can never give up ownership, that a puppy is a life long commitment and that if for any reason, any at all they cannot care for the puppy I will take it back at any age.
Only once did I have a litter of Cocker puppies. I did the due diligence thing in finding them homes. My boss adopted one of them. Home for life I thought. She was the first one killed. Before her first b-day even. No more breeding for me when I found out how many cockers are in rescue. LOVE puppy breath but until they ALL have a home...I will rescue.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Only once did I have a litter of Cocker puppies. I did the due diligence thing in finding them homes. My boss adopted one of them. Home for life I thought. She was the first one killed. Before her first b-day even. No more breeding for me when I found out how many cockers are in rescue. LOVE puppy breath but until they ALL have a home...I will rescue.
Its kind of a catch 22. People want puppies and a lot dont care where they get them from... byb, puppymill, pet store, reputable breeder. as long as they get a puppy! Puppy mills and BYB are all to happy to keep up with the demand of pups, where reputable breeders have waiting lists, and dont breed as often. So then you end up with people buying a poorly bred pup that will end up with health and temperment problems and ultimitly be sent to rescues, if they are lucky!!

Breeders (reputable) also hate to see their breed become popular! Nothing brings PM's and BYB's out of the woodwork faster than a popular breed

As usual education is the key
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

It is a catch 22 but frequently you can find pure bred puppies in rescue. But they will be neutered before they go home. There's always that *get rich quick* thought in peoples' minds...just let my dogs breed and breed and I won't ever have to work again. Mostly rescuers get to clean up the mess or the leftover dogs are killed.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
JessicaR
Been Around A While

yes you can usually find puppies in the shelter, but if you are looking for a non popular breed, good luck finding one. I know around my area (probably different state to state) sheltie puppies are hard to find. We do have several rescues (thanks to all the amish puppy mills) but finding a puppy is almost impossible!

I am really considering not letting this litter of puppies go until they are neutured. I found a low cost clinic in the county next to us that does pediatric neutures. As much as you screen and state in a contract no breeding, you never really know what a person will do.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Momto3
Been Around A While

Cockers aren't in the top ten anymore but I guarantee you a little research and I can find you one for free or waaaay less than a pet shop in less than a half hour! It's the not knowing what will happen to the pup that really got me when I found out my boss killed little Reba. You do due diligence and absolutely trust someone and still the dog dies.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care