Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » Welcoming new litter

Old 07-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Isn't this the same dog that had pups in maybe December? What are you doing? Breeding at every heat cycle?

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Isn't this the same dog that had pups in maybe December? What are you doing? Breeding at every heat cycle?
Yes Belle had a litter in December, no we dont usually breed every heat cycle! Belle is 5.5 years old now and the next time she will go into heat she will be 6 (she cycles every 10 months) As you may know the risk for pyometra increases with age, and most commomly occurs in older females that are not bred. Between my vet, my mentor and I it was decided that it would be better to breed her now, and spay her after this litter, than to wait. the pros outweighed the cons.

Also just so you know I have a full waiting list for these pups, I did not just breed just because she was in heat! I am looking for my next show dog out of this litter, plus I have a couple other show homes lined up, and several pet homes, 2 of which are 4h kids looking to show the pup next year in our club, and 1 that already owns one of my pups. More than likely I will not have enough pups since Belle doesnt have big litters.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

So sorry, JessicaR. My comment wasn't aimed at you, but at the pug breeder, who apparently has two females, sisters?, and produces puppies as fast as possible.

I don't dig into breeders practices as it often infuriates me, but from what I've seen here, you're one of the very few that do things the right way.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Momto3
Been Around A While

0h yuck. Puppies are awesome until you realize how many gave up their lives for your new littler. Sorry.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
So sorry, JessicaR. My comment wasn't aimed at you, but at the pug breeder, who apparently has two females, sisters?, and produces puppies as fast as possible.

I don't dig into breeders practices as it often infuriates me, but from what I've seen here, you're one of the very few that do things the right way.
No problem I dont breed very often, even though I do have 2 females, also I wont breed unless I have a waiting list.

I know a lot of people on this site does not agree with breeding even if it is for show/performance. So i do get a little defensive sometimes when it feels like everyone is against what you do.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I have no issue with breeders who do genetic testing, who proof their dogs as best as possible to ensure they aren't passing on defects or problems with the dogs they are breeding. If it weren't for quality breeders, "types" of dogs would fade away and there would be ONLY mixed breeds or POOR quality purebreds.

But someone cranking out 4 litters in less than a year from two females, doing no genetic testing, just smacks of a business decision.
People using their "pets" to make money irks me. And that's putting it mildly.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I understand that completely! I have been called a hypocrite many times because I do breed, but I do not advocate breeding for 99% of the people I meet. I refused a lady early on in the year, she wanted to breed her pet sheltie to Dusty. She didnt like that I said her dog shouldnt be bred. Or I have people like my relatives that cant believe that I would take a puppy back if the owner no longer wants it. They think that once money exchanges hands, your done with them. Oh well I just ignore people like that. I am lucky i have found several friends that show and understand the way breeding should be handled!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #18
Momto3
Been Around A While

I took Maxim to work one day. He was missing an eye, skin problems, really a mess but I loved him. One guy who just got a free-to-good-home had a black/white lady. He near salivated over Max. He wanted to borrow him to impregnate his new dog. Really? Do you see Max has only one eye, do you see he has no family jewels, really guy? Really????? Max was gorgeous but thanks to me learning how to trim to disguise some problems. No disguising the fact he had no cojones.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #19
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I sure hope his girl dog was spayed. Otherwise I'm sure he found a dog somewhere to breed her with. Ignorant owners are often hell-bent on having puppies to sell. Even when they know all the reasons not to do it.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care