Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum » Rescue dogs, how many of you actually own one?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Cerbie is a rescue from a shelter, and he had distemper when we adopted him. Brigit was handed to me by an older couple who didn't want her, and didn't want to take her to a shelter, or give her back to the breeder. I know she wouldn't get all the love and attention she gets with us anywhere else. And with her potty training issues, she probably would have ended up in a shelter.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
Shells_k
Been Around A While

OK so Im long winded sometimes, but heres my story
I got Jessie 5 years ago from a rescue shelter. She is my heart and soul and I love her to bits. I had never experienced unconditional love until I happened upon her. My husband says he knows he comes second to Jessie and hes ok with that LOL. When Jessie was almost 1, before my husband and I moved in together he asked me if I would give Jessie away if he asked me to (he wasnt a big dog person). I looked at him straight in the eyes and said he would go before Jessie would. I meant it
I have spent thousands of $$ on her in the last few years. Survived parvo as a pup-2 week stay at vets, emergency er vet visit for eating a lb. of chocolate 3 years ago, and last year she was diagnosed with Addisons disease when I woke up New Years Day and found her laying unresponsive but breathing on the floor. $2k alone for that initial diagnosis and vet stay for 3 days, plus daily medication and a shot once a month for the rest of her life.
She is worth every single penny and I wouldnt trade her for anything in the world. She is the sweetest, most cuddly, loving, obedient and affectionate dog I have ever seen. I have been told by many people that she has better manners than most kids!!! LOL She is my angel with 9 lives and we were meant for eachother

2 years ago my husband bought me a puppy from a pet store, thinking he was doing a nice thing. I had not schooled him on the importance of rescue. Sugar has come with some problems as well (shes allergic to just about everything and OMG shes a stubborn brat LOL), but we love her and she's our baby too.
Nowadays my husband is a huge supporter of shelters and of dogs in general after seeing what they can contribute to your lives. Just yesterday he was talking to his brother who wants a puppy, and went on the rescue shelter speel. I was SO proud of him, and whats even better is he meant every word he said about those poor dogs needing a chance to have a loving home, older dogs get tossed back because they are no longer puppies and arent "fun" anymore, etc etc. His brother is going to go to a shelter now!!

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

I know what you're saying about older dogs. OMG I have 2 puppies and I'm ready to trade them in on 2 older dogs. They are so demanding! I'm glad you found your canine soul mate!
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogscrzy4ball View Post
I know what you're saying about older dogs. OMG I have 2 puppies and I'm ready to trade them in on 2 older dogs. They are so demanding! I'm glad you found your canine soul mate!
Thanks 2 dogs
I have all ready declared to my entire household that I am not bringing any more puppies into my house, ever!!!!! (much to my kids chagrin) LOL - I dont have the energy for them, and can't justify it when there are so many gentle souls out there that need help.

I dont envy you right now!!! LOL

Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
. .))
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Spunky was our first dog bought from a pet store. We were 16 years old. I should have known the hundreds of dollars in medical bills to follow, but I wouldn't change it for anything, he's my little angel, my little shadow. Kipper was bought from breeder at an older age, he was given to them. So I concider us rescuing him. Now that I am older and better educated I will only adopt. I adopted my baby Raja-Minx from our local humane society!

Don't let him fool you, he's rotten! LOL LOL
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #16
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Weesha, I luv kitties too (I have 4 besides our 2 pooches lol). Raja sure is a handsome boy!!

Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
. .))
Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shells_k View Post
Weesha, I luv kitties too (I have 4 besides our 2 pooches lol). Raja sure is a handsome boy!!

Haha yeah Raja is a typical Siamese cat, meows when he wants something.
If I say "treat" to the dogs he follows right behind them and meow's while they bark. My friend just recently saw him sitting in the window basically trying to bark. A barking cat??? He fits in as one of the dogs! He wrestles and plays with them; he was the perfect addition to our family. I got him as a very tiny kitten; he was curled up in his cage at the humane society shaking. I had to have him, but worried that he would not get along with the dogs, that he would be very skittish and scared all the time. But, NOPE exact opposite a couple weeks later BOOM he was cat that thinks he's a dog! The dogs treat him as another one of them. Kipper even plays with the cat toys! The both sit around the little spinning mouse and take turns swatting at it!?? We live in a crazy house! LOL.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weesha1717 View Post
Haha yeah Raja is a typical Siamese cat, meows when he wants something.
If I say "treat" to the dogs he follows right behind them and meow's while they bark. My friend just recently saw him sitting in the window basically trying to bark. A barking cat??? He fits in as one of the dogs! He wrestles and plays with them; he was the perfect addition to our family. I got him as a very tiny kitten; he was curled up in his cage at the humane society shaking. I had to have him, but worried that he would not get along with the dogs, that he would be very skittish and scared all the time. But, NOPE exact opposite a couple weeks later BOOM he was cat that thinks he's a dog! The dogs treat him as another one of them. Kipper even plays with the cat toys! The both sit around the little spinning mouse and take turns swatting at it!?? We live in a crazy house! LOL.

Funny you should say that. My only male cat, Angelo, hangs out with the dogs. He's the only one that will lol. He wrestles like crazy with Jessie, people cant get over it when they see it! As far as Raja trying to bark like a dog - its the exact opposite with us. I all ready had the cats when I got Jessie as a little puppy, so they were he example of what to do lol. She grooms herself like a cat, cuddles like a cat and when she really happy you can hear her making noises in her throat like shes trying to purr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband thinks its the funniest thing.

Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
. .))
Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shells_k View Post
Funny you should say that. My only male cat, Angelo, hangs out with the dogs. He's the only one that will lol. He wrestles like crazy with Jessie, people cant get over it when they see it! As far as Raja trying to bark like a dog - its the exact opposite with us. I all ready had the cats when I got Jessie as a little puppy, so they were he example of what to do lol. She grooms herself like a cat, cuddles like a cat and when she really happy you can hear her making noises in her throat like shes trying to purr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband thinks its the funniest thing.
HAHAHAAAA, it's so funny how they learn from each other!! Do you wanna know how naughty Kipper is?? Well, he's in trouble so much my Quaker Parrot now Yells "Kipper!!!!!!" at the top of her lungs!!! She is so used to hearing us say his name! We never even taught her that!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #20
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weesha1717 View Post
HAHAHAAAA, it's so funny how they learn from each other!! Do you wanna know how naughty Kipper is?? Well, he's in trouble so much my Quaker Parrot now Yells "Kipper!!!!!!" at the top of her lungs!!! She is so used to hearing us say his name! We never even taught her that!

ROFL. Well maybe your Parrot helps keep him in line now when youre not home

Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
. .))

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum