Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » How do I get him to STOP??!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Red face How do I get him to STOP??!!!

Okay, I trained my dog since he was 7 months old to ring a bell to let us know he has to go to the bathroon outside. Well, yesterday, he came across a lizard that hid right when he went outside. My dog saw it and chased it back and forth until it found refuge underneath a ladder that is on it's side right by the door he goes out of. My dog waited for it and heard it moving around so he pawed at the cement trying to get to the lizard. We do have several lizards where we live, so this wasn't the first time he's seen one and chased it.

Well, the issue is, he'd ring the bell every 5 minutes to go out to look for the lizard!! I didn't want to discount his bell ringing because what if he really had to go. What if he had an upset stomach or something? Well, I knew that wasn't the case because right when he would go out, he'd go right to the ladder. How do I get him to stop? If I don't respond, he comes to me, paws at me, licks me, whines, and then barks if I don't let him out. I keep telling him "Not now" which is what we tell him when we don't want him to play with the cat at that particular moment, usually because the cat is not in a playful mood. Now, when I let him out and he goes to the ladder, I tell him "no, go potty", then he'll leave it alone. Then he'll work his way over to another part of the house where he's seen a lizard go. He is driving me NUTS! Any advice? I want him to have fun and enjoy being a dog, but geez, I need a break. Last night, I even asked my son to take him out. He took him out the front door. The dog took a few steps and went back in the house, hence, no lizard there.

Yesterday, I had the whole house to myself, so I rented movies. I couldn't even finish a single movie from start to finish without the constant interruption of that darn bell! It took me literally 4 hours to finish a movie that was only 1 1/2 hours. Sorry for the long post.
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
That is frustrating. Maybe distraction inside the house would work. I don't know. Rocky learned how to open our sliding glass door so now we just lock it, but it would be difficult because you don't want to break the good hablt, you just want the bad one to go away. Maybe he will loose interest in a while. Maybe he's bored and needs some more stimulation, maybe cut a hole in a plastic container, like a milk jug and put something yummy in it to keep him occupied for a while. When I watch a movie in my house it's either after eight, because that's quiet time (no one is allowed to go outside nothing, we lay quiet until ten) or when I rent the movie I will buy a bag of bones just like people would buy popcorn, then right before the movie I give them all bones. Usually it works. Good Luck, I hope someone has some good advice for you.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

The last couple times I took him out tonight, he did go potty, walked around, sniffed, and eventually worked his way back to the ladder. When he did that, I told him "come, in the house", and he'd come. So, I'll try that for awhile until he loses interest.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
denmother
Been Around A While

i dont have any suggestions but i must say i find it really funny. i keep giggling. isnt it pavlovs dog in reverse? he rings a bell and you respond.
denmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Yes, definitely Pavlov's dog in reverse, except, I'm not salivating! I do it very relunctantly, but I can't help but love my little guy! He's bugging me right now as I type because he just rang the bell. If I don't respond right away, he'll go away and ring the bell again, then he'll come back, and go and ring it again. Okay, he rang it 3 times now, I am going to let him out again.

Okay, I'm back. Honestly, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I had a fenced yard, then I could leave him out there unattended and he can have all the time he wants, but unfortunately I don't and with coyotes in the area, someone has to be out there with him.

Last edited by BichonFowner : 05-06-2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Added 2nd paragraph
Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
lynnie
Site Regular

I'm sorry i shouldnt laugh, but the thought of a little bell ringing like that bought a little smile. I think your doing the only thing you can do and i'm sure in the end he will give up and be back to normal. Good luck. sorry i cant be more helpful
lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

It wasn't so bad today, but he did ring the bell more frequently than normal. I am hoping it will be less and less each day, and hopefully we'll be back to normal. I could only hope! Actually, he'll be getting neutered on Thursday, so maybe that will slow him WAY down. Wish me luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
buggis
Been Around A While

I am sorry. But, I find this story very funny!

Maybe you should buy him a pet lizard
buggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Monsterpuppy
Been Around A While

FWIW,

I would take him out on a leash, out the other door, every time he rings the bell, and not let him off the boring leash until he's done his dogly duty and seems completely uninterested in the area of contention. If he goes to the ladder, bring him back in. Also, you might want to move the ladder.
---------------------------------------------------------
Proper dog spoilage is an art form.

http://www.weaselpuppy.com
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-themed-gifts-and-awards
http://www.cafepress.com/weaselpuppy
Monsterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Just wanted to let everyone know, that things have calmed down a bit with that darn bell since my original post...thank goodness. We had a couple of calm days since he was recovering from being neutered. He hasn't forgotten to check out the lizard spot, but when he goes out, he'll do a quick peek, no lizard, he goes on his merry way. Sometimes, he won't check at all. So far, he is ringing the bell like normal now. Although he did discover a couple of mice running around one morning and got his face all in a gopher hole because he saw some plants moving in the ground. He still likes to go after the bunnies and squirrels if I don't stop him before her does it. I saw a bunny one morning and tried to get the dog in the house before he bolted after it. Well, too late and he ended up in some of our tall, dry, weeds of some sort. I called him back and he was limping and not coming very fast. He had all kinds of sticky, pokey things in his paws, face, legs, and body. Hopefully he learned from that....NOT! He's such a silly dog!

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic