Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete » Biking

Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Tuckerdad
Been Around A While

Biking

Hs anyone ever gone biking with their dog? If so how did it go?
Tuckerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
I have! Its loads of fun. I used a 16 ft leash and had it so that it would retract if Junior came close and let out leash if he got further (makes it easier to have control while you are biking). Other than that you always have to be careful when your dog is going to cross in front of you, if you think something is going to get in the way such as pole, and its going to cause you to loose balance and at the same time yank your dog let go of the leash, its always best to do that rather that both of you going at the opposite ends of the pole.

It takes a bit getting used to but after a time its can be lots of fun.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
k9mania
Administrator

I am a former mountain biker and road bike enthusiast. You should never put the dog's leash on the handlebars or in a place where they can tip you. Lots of broken collarbones
There is a great deal to put on the rear of your bike and it has a spring so that you and the dog can ride anywhere safely. The dog should always have a harness so that they do not get choked. Check out the http://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
I am a former mountain biker and road bike enthusiast. You should never put the dog's leash on the handlebars or in a place where they can tip you. Lots of broken collarbones
Oh yeah, good tip K9! Forgot to mention that too, I always ride with the lead on one hand, helps to soften the tugs and pulls...because any slight tug on the leash while its on the handlebars will send you off in another direction
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
oooooooooooooo.... this is my place. I love to bike. I can do five at a time. I put the leashes on the underside of the seat. I make sure that no dog can reach past the wheel.
When I do many I make sure the leashes are staggered, one on the left outside and left inside. One on the right outside and right inside.
Very fun and a great way to get out energy fast.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I have but not enough for either Cassie or myself to get used to the idea. She was usually pretty good at running along at heel on a leash and collar but on occassion she got too close to the wheel, especially when I was turning. I'll have to teach her the driving terms Gee and Haa - meaning left and right. LOL Wanted to get a harness hitch but because my bike is worth less than the harness hitch I figured I would wait. Besides, I much prefer hiking with my girl than biking. It is a great way to give high energy dog exercise though and give you a good workout to boot - or rather in the butt!
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Cerbie loves to go biking! We have a bungee leash, I forget what it's actually called, but it's made of bungee cords, so that there's not as much impact when he pulls. I did make sure he knew left, right, slow, and run fast before we really started riding far. I let Cerb out front to pull me, because he's the most hyper dog ever. He loves it, although all my neighbors are convinced that he's going to kill me one day. I tend to go more toward night/evenings, bc there are fewer squirrels and birds to distract us.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Tuckerdad
Been Around A While

Thanks! I am going to give it a try when I can order the Springer Bicycle jogger.
Tuckerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
gsdmama
Been Around A While

I have this on my bike and is way safer that trying to hold onto a lead and get pulled in another direction, lose your balance etc. It is attached to the seat and is way safer that the one that attaches to the frame of the bike where the bike can get pulled out from under you.

I love it and it didn't take long for my dogs to get use to it.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
squeekytoy
New Around Here

I have used the device called a springer for years. I have trained at least 4 dogs to use it and they all liked it. Since I am short, my bike frame is also short so I needed a skilled mechanical person to fit the springer attachment to the bike. I love how secure it is. And yes, I agree, lots of fun. Check my page for picture.
squeekytoy is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Canine Competive Athlete