Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training » Brigit is not Cerbie!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Brigit is not Cerbie!

Why has it taken me 3 years to arrive to this conclusion? Cerbie is a heeler/pointer, he's supposed to want to work with ppl. Brig is a doxie, she's supposed to want to run and kill things, independent of ppl. Plus I really think there's some terrier in there, so add a little more independent plus some more high-intensity engergy.

I look at Cerbie, and I can tell him what to do with my eyes most times. He and I are linked in a freaky close way. He knows as I start moving to get up where/what I'm going to do. And he's always right. And he always knows which snooze is the last one before I get out of bed.

Brigit will never be that. And I think I've always expected her to be. What kind of dummy am I? Brigit does what she wants, she's an independant woman that can't be bothered with the wants of ppl. But, I take Brigit outside for a walk, and she gives me absolute focus, which is nothing short of incredible. We were working on focus the other night, and a man walked behind her and made a fuss over her, and she held her down, and didn't lose eye contact with me. I know for a fact Cerb couldn't do that.

Since I've had this epiphany, I've changed the way I've been training/interacting in general with Brigit. And I've had fantastic results. My only real issues with her now are her barking, and the grab things and dash under the chair with them to destroy. But mostly the barking. Hopefully I can work my way around that one with some time.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
elsasmom
Been Around A While

I love those Ah hah moments when the obvious suddenly becomes obvious to me.
Thanks for sharing. We all have to accept that our dogs are individuals with totally different abilities and temperaments.
I would have loved to do agility, but Elsa isn't very driven. Her recent DNA results verified that she's mostly Basset and slow goes the Basset Hound that's not on a scent. All's well when I focus on HER talents and work with those. She was excellent as a therapy dog for 4 years. And Bridget has her own strong points too _Marie
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Yes, the AHA moment has occurred. And yes, despite the 3 years that at times have seemed like torture with Brigit, she's really not a bad dog. We just clash, she and I. I definitely know what to look for and what not to look for in my next dog (Like I'll have any sort of choice, these last 2 plus Jasmine and the pups just walked right into my life, no choice) I'd like to think that we're both teaching each other a lot. She was definitely sent to me as a lesson in patience and persistence, and hope. Even on days when she's drawn blood from me, or even when she got the neighbors bird, I've never lost the hope deep inside me that she's gonna end up a super dog.

If Max is any indicator, though, I still have several more years of crazy before she settles. Max is about 6-ish, and keeps up with all of the crazy at our house like he's a pup.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
Why has it taken me 3 years to arrive to this conclusion? Cerbie is a heeler/pointer, he's supposed to want to work with ppl. Brig is a doxie, she's supposed to want to run and kill things, independent of ppl. Plus I really think there's some terrier in there, so add a little more independent plus some more high-intensity engergy.

I look at Cerbie, and I can tell him what to do with my eyes most times. He and I are linked in a freaky close way. He knows as I start moving to get up where/what I'm going to do. And he's always right. And he always knows which snooze is the last one before I get out of bed.

Brigit will never be that. And I think I've always expected her to be. What kind of dummy am I? Brigit does what she wants, she's an independant woman that can't be bothered with the wants of ppl. But, I take Brigit outside for a walk, and she gives me absolute focus, which is nothing short of incredible. We were working on focus the other night, and a man walked behind her and made a fuss over her, and she held her down, and didn't lose eye contact with me. I know for a fact Cerb couldn't do that.

Since I've had this epiphany, I've changed the way I've been training/interacting in general with Brigit. And I've had fantastic results. My only real issues with her now are her barking, and the grab things and dash under the chair with them to destroy. But mostly the barking. Hopefully I can work my way around that one with some time.
I'm so happy for you, it definitely makes life a whole lot easier!!!

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Sounds promising! Keep up the good work =)

I could write a lot about Shara vs Tigger but that would be a long post haha!

I would try giving her a toy she would normally drag under the couch to destroy (I would get tougher toys she couldnt do that) and give her treats with her out on the floor. Reward when she has a toy out in the open vs you chasing her down and dragging the toy/her outta the couch lol. If you do that, its indirect "praise" or indirect "attention"

Some toys that I came across was Elk Antlers, they provide extra minerals and calcium and all of my dogs love theirs. They are slightly expensive, 9-15 + bucks each but they are like everlasting gobstoppers...they can last years. I would get one and try that?
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
Sounds promising! Keep up the good work =)

I could write a lot about Shara vs Tigger but that would be a long post haha!

I would try giving her a toy she would normally drag under the couch to destroy (I would get tougher toys she couldnt do that) and give her treats with her out on the floor. Reward when she has a toy out in the open vs you chasing her down and dragging the toy/her outta the couch lol. If you do that, its indirect "praise" or indirect "attention"

Some toys that I came across was Elk Antlers, they provide extra minerals and calcium and all of my dogs love theirs. They are slightly expensive, 9-15 + bucks each but they are like everlasting gobstoppers...they can last years. I would get one and try that?
Antlers involve way to much rage on her part. She can't have any "chewy" type things, or she'll go after one of the other dogs, or cats, or me. Eventually I'd like to work my way up there, but not even close to ready. I can mostly call her out now if she has something. It's getting way better. She's actually starting to bring me things she knows she shouldn't have. Yesterday she brought me 2 socks, a paper reciept, and a pencil. Very proud of her.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
sandyb
Been Around A While

Loved your story CerbiesMom. Good luck with Brigit's new training regime. Sometimes we're a bit slow to grasp things, but once we do there's no stopping us. Go for it!!!
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training