Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum » Adopt a Shelter Dog

Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Adopt a Shelter Dog

I was reading a post on fb recently by a friend of mine who has been training dogs, cats and wild animals for movies and commericials for over 25 years. He said that many of the dogs used in his industry (including his dogs) have come from shelters and rescue groups.

60's dog star "Old Yeller" was bought for 3 dollars from a shelter; his real name was Spike." ... and Disney's original "Shaggy Dog" was bought for 2 dollars at a local dog pound."

So, spend some time at your local shelter ... you just may get a chance to scratch a future movie star behind the ears!!!

Here is one of my favorite videos. It features Joel's dog Duke, (one of his shelter dogs) in a Nessan car commerical (driving the car). You may also recognize Duke from the "Animal Planet" show called "Good Dog U"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCKSXvhbQU
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

one can find the most incredible critters in rescue shelters. I will never forget the very regal chocolate cocker spaniel up for adoption complete with his ribbons and stuff from a show career. He was an awesome dog - just too big for me. Hope he got a great home! My own "best find" is a little chocolate parti. Originally sold for $1k - I got him for $200 at not quite two years old. Drop dead gorgeous and soooooo sweet but a bit of a handful. He would have made a grrreat show dog (all flipping LOOK AT ME ATTITUDE) but he's all neutered and a couch potato now. Mine mine mine! I adore watching him run like the wind in the yard. He knows he's gorgeous and it shows.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I still think about the day I met Neka. I walked into the kennel room and she was laying in the run. She looked at me and sat up. As i walked down the isle toward her she moved to the front of the kennel and sat down. All of the other dogs were barking and raising hell, but she just sat there.

I looked at 3-4 dogs there, and she was the only one that would pay any attention to me in the outside play yard.

When I got her home (several days later) she was very shy, and it took her awhile to warm up to me. But when it happened, it was like someone "flipped the switch" ... In the last year and a half, (before her passing), she was stuck to my side and the only reason I ever had a leash on her was to keep from getting a ticket from the local law.

Patchs is becoming more and more the same way. If we are out in the backyard, and I even take 2 steps toward the house she is RIGHT beside me with that "were we goin' dad" look in her eye.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
saveawolf
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to saveawolf
yes i remember him. never fore get bozer i got him from death row.
ou can close your eyes to hide the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to hide the things you don't want to feel...x
saveawolf is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Rescue Forum