Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes » Cooking

Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
Red face Cooking

Okay...I know this is prob. one of the stupidist questions ever...but I really have no clue...How do preheat a microwave?

Its kind of embarassing asking this but im starving!!! My parents had to go to the hospitle for something and have been gone since early this morning and there is litterly no food at my house expect frozen stuff and I looked at the back of the pizza box and it said oven or microwave. So I dont know how to use an oven...my mom would flip if she found out i used it and I wasnt risking burning down the house so I decided to use the microwave. Under the microwave directions it says preheat microwave to 425 deg. Do they mean one of them microwave oven thingys?!? We dont have one of them just a microwave.

Again, sorry for the stupid question. Nobody in the house cooks its all fast food or restruant food. If my mom does cook it tastes not so good. I've tried watching ppl cook and they always tell me to shoo away. So I know about as much about cooking as I would having to give somebody brain surgery.
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
Well, I find it sad that a person your age don't know how to use an oven. Don't get me wrong, I don't think your dumb, I just blame your mother. All children should be taught how to work an oven and washing machine by 15 at the most. Those are everyday uses that we will need in our life. Cannot keep going out to eat because A. you would go broke and B. its bad for your body.

I am glad to hear that you didn't try the oven. Wait until your mom does get home and ask her to teach you!! Meanwhile, it won't hurt you to go without eating for a few hours. Answer to your question, no you cannot preheat a microwave!

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
eeyore
Been Around A While

You dont preheat a microwave.
i am surprised that you havent been taught even the basiscs of cooking.
my 2 are 12 and 14 and they both have been encouraged to learn cooking skills and really enjoy it.
Fast food is not healthy and has no taste in my opinion.
The more I see of the representatives of the people the more I admire my dogs. - Alphonse de Lamartine
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
boxerheaven
Been Around A While

this is not a daft question starry but the answer is you cant preheat a microwave, personally i wouldnt cook pizza in the microwave as it may go all soft and yak but if you must then put it on for about 8 mins see what its like and keep going up in 2 mins until its cooked like you want it to be.
hope this helps
boxerheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
starry8740
Been Around A While

thanks for the replies. I will ask my mom to show me how to use an oven. Last time I asked her she wouldnt tell me. Oh and dogsrme....I never been taught how to use a washing machine either. I would be so lost if I had to do laundry. I guess I really need to learn this stuff.

Well, I put the pizza away and I washed a potato and I put in the microwave. Didnt turn out good...I dont think it was cooked well enough. Oh well, you can't get sick from a potato can you?

Yeah, I know fast food is bad for you. We've been having fast for for 2 years now. My mom got sick of cooking, she hated it and we hated the food she cooked. So she just thought it would be easier to get fast food. I love fast food and it hasnt made me fat or anything. Really, I need to learn to cook. That will be hard to do when the cook in the house can't cook well. I would go broke if I ate out everyday. I have it easy now that my dad makes very good money at his job we dont have to worry but on my own, that would cost me tons!!

Still puzzles me why it says on the back of the box to preheat microwave!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

As all the others stated, you do not preheat a microwave. Perhaps you misread that it stated preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Sometimes the directions get all jumbled up together. My daughter is 12 years old and she does some basic cooking and bakes in the oven. Granted, in the beginning, she has left the oven on, on a few occasions, even over night, and thankfully, nothing happened, but she learned through trial and error.

You should give it a go and have your mom show you how to cook some simple stuff. You can always boil water or use an electric tea kettle and make some "Cup of Noodles" if she won't let you use the oven. Good luck and hope you get your meal cooked.
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
Starry, even if your mom won't show you ask a grandparent or aunt. If they won't teach you, use youtube. I am sure they have videos on how to cook or use a washer. In today's age there isn't any exuse to not learn how to do it.

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry8740 View Post
Well, I put the pizza away and I washed a potato and I put in the microwave. Didnt turn out good...I dont think it was cooked well enough. Oh well, you can't get sick from a potato can you?
Did you pierce the potato? You should not microwave a potato without piercing it with a fork. It helps let the steam out and prevents it from exploding. If all else fails, eat a bowl of cereal or a sandwich.

No, you can't get sick from a potato. I like to eat them raw when I am cutting them up for a meal. They are crunchy and good, in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
starry8740
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonFowner View Post
Did you pierce the potato? You should not microwave a potato without piercing it with a fork. It helps let the steam out and prevents it from exploding. If all else fails, eat a bowl of cereal or a sandwich.

No, you can't get sick from a potato. I like to eat them raw when I am cutting them up for a meal. They are crunchy and good, in my opinion.
Yeah, I put a slit in the potato. I would make a sandwich but there isnt any lunch meat or bread. There isn't soup or crackers or instant mashed potatoes!! Everything is eaten and my mom said shes not going grocrie shopping until someone will go with her because she hates that job and she always wants to go at like 7 am and I cant get up that early. She asked me to go yesterday morning but I fell back asleep. About all that is left is junk food and believe it or not im sick of junk food. Not to menchion that it dont even last in your body 10 mins later your hungry again.

okay good! Glad i cant get sick from the potato. I called my mom on the cell and she said she would bring tacos home for dinner. I cannot wait until she gets them. I don't know how to use the stove top either.

BTW i reread the directions on the box and it said microwave oven. What the heck is a microwave oven?!? Do they mean do half of the cooking in the microwave and the other have in the oven?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsrme View Post
Starry, even if your mom won't show you ask a grandparent or aunt. If they won't teach you, use youtube. I am sure they have videos on how to cook or use a washer. In today's age there isn't any exuse to not learn how to do it.
I recall when my daughter was asking to learn, it was actually more work for me to show her, supervise her, and have her do things by herself. It was inconvenient and sometimes I didn't want to either, but she is at a point now where she can bake a cake if she wants to, brownies, cookies, and she will boil water and make pasta and she knows how to use the microwave. Sometimes, she will ask me how long to warm something up in the microwave and for her to learn, she just needs to figure it out. I told her not to start on a long warming up time as it is easier to continue to heat if not heated rather than, over heating. Eventually, she figured it out.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes