Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Fat Tyra

Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Question Fat Tyra

Hey guys, I am in a pickle...Tyra is gaining weight and we cannot figure out what the deal is.

She is a true standard doxie, big boned, ect...and I am feeding her the same amount of food as Shara, who is 12 pounds, to see if that would help. Tyra is about 24-25 pounds (she should be 20-22). She is getting so fat, I am not sure what to do! 2-3 extra pounds on a small dog is a lot, especally on doxies...And I dont want to starve her!

We know she is not eatting dog poop, as I pick it up everyday. I have also added pineapple to their diets as a reassurance that she is not eatting that.

It is NOT possible she is stealing anyones foods, as they do not go to others bowls, and plus they eat their food fast, and I am always around when they eat.

I am going to get her some low fat dog food tomarrow, to see if that helps.

Any ideas what could be causing this. I hope its not thyroid or something...ugg...
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
sandyb
Been Around A While

Meredith, I can't help Tyra, but I sure as hell have the same problem!
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

It never hurts to check with the vet, but in most cases, the answer is less food. The low fat food may be good, keeping up the other nutrients, while keeping the calories down. I have heard bad reports on the coat.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

Never heard of the pineapple for discouraging poop eating. Does it work?

As far as the weight gain goes...all mine have different needs. Merlin is the tiniest but get gets half-again the amount of food the others do cause he burns it off. He's less than 20 pounds and I'm having an awful time trying to keep his hip bones from showing. Then there's Mozie at a whopping 35 pounds on less food! If you don't want to use the low-call food just replace some of her food with some unsalted green beans. It's what I've always done to get weight off a tubby little pooch.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I would just reduce the amount of food she gets. I dont like low fat dog food, because all they do is add more carbohydrates. Which doesnt seem to help much with weight loss, and does seem to make their coat bad.
A long time ago I put my one sheltie on low fat food and she started to shed like mad and was scratching a lot. So since then I just adjust their food by how their ribs feel. ( I check before every meal)
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

The pineapple is a common remedy for stool eating, but often nothing works except prompt clean up.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

More excercise! Run that doxie! That's funny, bc usually dogs down here loose weight in the summer cb of the heat and them not wanting to eat. I agree with adding the green beans. It helps them feel full, so you can cut back some of their food.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Never heard of the pineapple for discouraging poop eating. Does it work?

As far as the weight gain goes...all mine have different needs. Merlin is the tiniest but get gets half-again the amount of food the others do cause he burns it off. He's less than 20 pounds and I'm having an awful time trying to keep his hip bones from showing. Then there's Mozie at a whopping 35 pounds on less food! If you don't want to use the low-call food just replace some of her food with some unsalted green beans. It's what I've always done to get weight off a tubby little pooch.
Sharon, Pineapple does work in many cases, but clean up and quick removal is still the best solution.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Meredith, Have you ruled out physical issues with Tyra? Thiroide problems can cause weight gain.

Short of that, excersize and diet are your only solutions. Be very careful with increased walking. Overweight dogs (especially doxies) can suffer other issues. Its best to go slow and easy.

Also, Metabolism can effect weight. You can adjust the amount of food, and subsitute carrots and other vegies to fill her up if needed.

But before doing anything, check with your vet to be sure they agree with your course of action.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Hey guys.

Thank you for all the responces.

She is already eatting as much as a 12 pound doxie is, and is still fat, thats why I am starting to think its thyroids?

We walk her everyday and she plays fetch a lot, so she does run. I also put her in the pool to get her swimming some. Thats when you can tell she looks like a whale when wet.

I do clean up poop, like I said so I doubt that is the culprit.

I am doing everything yall have suggested for a while now (before I decided to post) and nothing is helping...

I am leaning towards thyroid problem????
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition