Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » China "1 dog policy" culling, and oops cats for dinner

Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

China "1 dog policy" culling, and oops cats for dinner

Animal rights are on the agenda in China.
Even as a large dog cull by local authorities in the central Shaanxi province has claimed the lives of 37,000 canines so far in an effort to halt the spread of rabies, the central government is drafting the country’s first animal welfare law, which could ultimately impose criminal penalties for animal cruelty. Currently, only animals on China’s endangered species list are protected, and dog culls sometimes use brutal killing methods such as beatings or live burials, which draw corresponding public ire.
Pet ownership and awareness of animal rights have been on the rise among China’s middle class in recent years. When Beijing imposed a “one dog policy” and barred ownership of large dogs in 2006, mass protests among pet owners erupted, and President Hu Jintao ultimately stepped in to put an end to the crackdown on “illegal” dogs. Late last year, an investigative report found that stray cats from the eastern city of Nanjing were being rounded up, packed in crates and sent to south China, where they end up on the dinner table.

See rest of article at:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinajournal/20...icies-persist/
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Dare I say it, but the only thing that needs population control is the human. Too many countries are popping out children at a rate that exceeds the countries ability to feed, clothe, etc.

How can people be so cruel? Killing an animal, beit for food or population control need not be done cruelly. Although the thought of eating cats may be offensive to us Westerners, for me the thought of eating horsemeat is just as offensive and there are people who do eat it even in Canada - although Europe is the main eater of horsemeat.

In my opinion, as long as the animal is killed humanely and not tortured to death, then it is OK to use the meat to eat...well for them anyway...I'll pass.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
Dare I say it, but the only thing that needs population control is the human. Too many countries are popping out children at a rate that exceeds the countries ability to feed, clothe, etc.

How can people be so cruel? Killing an animal, beit for food or population control need not be done cruelly. Although the thought of eating cats may be offensive to us Westerners, for me the thought of eating horsemeat is just as offensive and there are people who do eat it even in Canada - although Europe is the main eater of horsemeat.

In my opinion, as long as the animal is killed humanely and not tortured to death, then it is OK to use the meat to eat...well for them anyway...I'll pass.

I don't think they understand humane and inhumane. I really don't. That or they prefer the inhumane way.
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory