Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Possible law against tail docking

Old 04-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Possible law against tail docking

Assembly Bill A7218 specifies that any person who cuts the tail of a dog for reasons other than to protect the life or health of the animal, or who promotes or sponsors events with dock-tailed dogs, would be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than $500, effective Aug. 1. This bill claims these dogs suffer chronic back and muscle pain, which we know is untrue.
If this bill were to pass, any person who harbors a dog with a docked tail would be considered in violation of the law. The American Kennel Club has stated that it will no longer hold events in New York if this bill is enacted.

See rest of article at:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...tegory=OPINION
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
pennycantu
Been Around A While

why not outlaw circumcisions of baby boys too? i'm sure it causes the baby great pain and discomfort but we still do it. maybe i'm cruel but i like the way a nicely done ear crop looks and i love doc'd tails. louisiana is usually the last state to obide by any rules so i guess i don't need to wory. I mean, we just outlawed cock fights like 5 months ago lol! (not laughing at the cock fights lauging at how behind la is)
pennycantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

The only problem I have with this bill is that it says nothing about ears. Other than that, I hope it passes and that other States follow suit.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
I agree that only vets should dock dogs but we have already suffered the banning and it seems no matter the truth when ministers get it in their heads something needs to be banned and has to do with dogs they do it.
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Labman
Been Around A While

Yes I have to agree ban cropping ears too. I am not sure I would include those organizing competitions. No mercy for the dog owners.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
pennycantu
Been Around A While

please someone explain to me why this is anymore wrong than peircing your child's ears or having your son circumcised at birth? as i said previously i personally like the way it looks. i've taken care of dogs with ear crops post op and never had issues with them showing symptoms of pain. I'm sorry if i'm the minority here. I'm against putting anything through pain just for show. however, my daughter's ears are pierced and if i had a son, he would be circumcised. if the day ever comes when i have a dog that due to breed standards may require a doc or crop, i would take no hesitation in providing it. sorry to offend.
pennycantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

The number one reason I stand against cosmetic docking and cropping is that I have asked multiple vets (I clearly recall discussing it with 6), and all have agreed that both procedures are painful for pups. One told me that he won't do either one anymore. A dogs' tail is a valuable communication tool, among other things. Ear cropping requires full anesthesia.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

http://www.mydd.com/story/2009/3/17/865/19362

An interesting article I just found re: docking and cropping

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
The only problem I have with this bill is that it says nothing about ears. Other than that, I hope it passes and that other States follow suit.
Agree with you 100%, Anne
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennycantu View Post
please someone explain to me why this is anymore wrong than peircing your child's ears or having your son circumcised at birth? as i said previously i personally like the way it looks. i've taken care of dogs with ear crops post op and never had issues with them showing symptoms of pain. I'm sorry if i'm the minority here. I'm against putting anything through pain just for show. however, my daughter's ears are pierced and if i had a son, he would be circumcised. if the day ever comes when i have a dog that due to breed standards may require a doc or crop, i would take no hesitation in providing it. sorry to offend.
Circumcism was believed to be a 'health' issue with boys (although that has been debunked as not necessary if proper hygiene is followed) and for the Jewish religion as part of their religion. As for ear piercing, well that is just some fashionista idea that should not be done IMHO. When the girl is old enough to take care of her body, then it should be considered but not as a infant.

I agree with Ann, the ear chopping needs to be included. Good for NY.

Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory