Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Owner Health » AAA's survey shows that dog passengers are safety risk

Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
grizzle
Been Around A While

It all comes down to how much your willing to pay for your safety and the safety of your passengers. Death tolls are through the roof because of these little tin cans that get GREAT gas millage. I would rather be alive than save a few bucks. The one's to bash are the manufacturer for not making these large vehicals more fuel efficient. They can and should with no fault to the avg. person for driving them. Cool or not they save lives
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Labman
Been Around A While

Actually small cars have a good safety record. If you really wanted to save lives, you would make the unneeded trucks unaffordable by making them bear their full costs to society.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Actually small cars have a good safety record. If you really wanted to save lives, you would make the unneeded trucks unaffordable by making them bear their full costs to society.
Honestly, what are you smoking Labman? There are so many of these hateful people like you who drive around all superior because they are driving a vehicle that gets maybe 5mpg more than mine but do all the things and so many more that makes them MORE environmentatlly unfriendly. What is the real cost on society is people who think there is only one way....their way. Consider that there are people with diverse needs that perhaps you have never considered outside your safe little bubble.

You must live in a large city that doesn't have any contact with agricultural community or less than perfect road conditions because you would understand that in an agricultural community and with harsh weather these trucks and SUVs DO have a purpose. Why are you so heLL bent on making farmers, business people or the many others who need larger more powerful vehicles be penalized further beyond the cost of purchasing (which is understandably more than a little car) and operating their vehicles? Let me see you deliver bales of hay to the middle of a field to feed your cattle in a Smart car. Should I show you a picture of the one and only Smart car in my community in winter? Last year I saw it twice being towed out or pushed out of a very small snow drift.

My old FireFly wasn't much bigger than a Smart car and I know that I didn't feel at all safe on the highways or even on the city streets. When a semi-truck would pass my car the car would rock and in some weather conditions I was hard pressed to keep it on the road it was so light. I know that if I had ever been in an accident with the thing, I was done for. You try being a lone woman on a highway in the middle of winter, heck, even in summer and not feeling safe in your car or you will end up in the ditch because you hit a snow drift. Yes, great gas mileage but I'll trade that for a vehicle that will get me through the many road conditions that arrise daily.

I'm sure there are many people who drive big vehicles not really needing them, however there are just as many, if not more people who drive their cars to the corner store instead of walking, who go through the drive through and idle their car for that one cup of overpriced coffee and who do a lot of stupid other and possibly worse environmentally and socially irresponsible things. Go after them, cite social costs to them, and perhaps look in the mirror and ask yourself "am I doing it right all the time too?". Going after a particular group of people because they chose to own a vehicle that they quite possibly need is just plain ignorant, by all definitions of the word.

Sorry, but coming from an agricultural community I see the implications that attitudes like this have to our already struggling farmers and small business owners. There is no need to further penalize them and whittle away the ever smaller profits under the guise of being 'environmentally friendly'. There are other ways of being socially responsible and environmentally friendly.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
k9mania
Administrator

Back to the original point I just spoke to a vet who was hit in her van by a car going 120 miles an hour. The dogs were in their seat belts but the impact through one of their collars all the way to the front. If the had not been secured, no matter what the size of the vehicle, she and the dogs would have been killed or seriously injured.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #15
grizzle
Been Around A While

You got it furbs...and your right k9. We all need to make sure our pets are secure when in our rides just like our kids and ourselves.

Be happy to take you on head to head labman. I drive a dodge 3500 superduty 4x4..
Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I can't see where mpg would affect the safety of an unsecured dog in a moving vehicle.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
grizzle
Been Around A While

MPG...NO..size of vehicle...YES..They kind of go hand in hand..
Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #18
k9mania
Administrator

We have two different debates going on here. I agree with both Labman and Furbilator. Dependent on the situation, they both make good points. Many small cars do have good safety records, as do large vehicles. The point is that no matter what vehicle without your dog restrained in some way, they are not truly as safe as can be. During an accident, they will be thrown somewhere.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #19
Brent
New Around Here

Jeez

I drive a Jeep. It's good on gas, is 4 wheel drive and I still look cool.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
hcromley
Been Around A While

Im trying to picture me , kyle both kids and Stoli in a smart car or small good milage car...haha that would b interesting. I love my SUV and in the midwest weather you need it or i owuld never get out of my driveway. On the other note my dogs are always secure in the vehicle just like my kids
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Owner Health