Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » New food causes allergic reaction in my poor baby Zoey

Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
New food causes allergic reaction in my poor baby Zoey

So a few days ago I couldn't make it to my preferred pet food store because of my car being in the shop, so I had to go to the local supermarket for my dog food. I picked up a few cans of Pedigree it was lamb and vegetable I believe. Definitely was lamb though. So anyway my poor baby has had a bad bad reaction to it! She is broken out in hives and there pug wrinkle on her nose is swollen I statered giving her benadryl 1mg per pound and she has had some relief. I read 2mg per pound can be given so her next dose I will try the 2mg per pound and see if it helps more. She's itchy, I can tell, how long do you think it will be before we can get this allergen out of her system? Obviously it's memorial day and my vet isn't open, so any idea what else can give her some relief? Maybe a bath?
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

That is too bad. You could try stimulating her metabolism by exercise. It might help burn off the allergen quicker. I hope for the best.

Since nobody in town sells the type of Pro Plan we feed, we are very careful to keep ahead on dog food. Since I will off to the big city for chemotherapy Thursday, you have reminded me to check our supply.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Momto3
Been Around A While

Have been doing Benedryl knock-off for many years. It's basically 25mgs per 25 lbs so you're right on it. How long to take effect? 3 to 10 days. With Max my vet wanted to give the Bene three times per day. He was also on vitamin E, fish oil, and various for his autoimmune problems. Little guy was allergic to everything. Had to even take him off Heartguard cause the beef coating made him vomit.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Have been doing Benedryl knock-off for many years. It's basically 25mgs per 25 lbs so you're right on it. How long to take effect? 3 to 10 days. With Max my vet wanted to give the Bene three times per day. He was also on vitamin E, fish oil, and various for his autoimmune problems. Little guy was allergic to everything. Had to even take him off Heartguard cause the beef coating made him vomit.
Just curious what breed was he? I have pugs and they're known for their allergy problems. So 3 X a day you vet recommened. What size was he? how many pounds? just curious.
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
That is too bad. You could try stimulating her metabolism by exercise. It might help burn off the allergen quicker. I hope for the best.

Since nobody in town sells the type of Pro Plan we feed, we are very careful to keep ahead on dog food. Since I will off to the big city for chemotherapy Thursday, you have reminded me to check our supply.
Thank you for the excersice idea! Glad we could help remind you too! My grandmother had went through chemo, I know it can be rough. Just want to wish you the best!
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

So happy to say Zory has bounced back and her swelling is 95% gone. She's doing so much better, we switched to Blue Buffalo brand wet food and California Natural for dry and she's doing awesome now!! We have a hard time finding a food that works well for the three pugs. Everyone we try one it will be good fr two of the three but the other won't like it or will get diarrhea and in this case a severe allergic reaction.

Again thanks guys for the advice
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggie_momma View Post
Just curious what breed was he? I have pugs and they're known for their allergy problems. So 3 X a day you vet recommened. What size was he? how many pounds? just curious.
All of mine are Cocker Spaniels ranging in weight from 15 to 30 pounds. Maxwell was 25 pounds so the dosage worked well. Cockers are also known for allergies. Had one of my current pack in the vet for cherry eye problems and was surprised to hear him say cherry eye can be caused by allergies. Lo and behold...Mozart has allergies. He's now on Benedryl, and two different eye meds and his eye is fine.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

So they're kind of similar to my pugs in a sense. Very close in weight and they both have allergies then. thanks for your help. I hope the cherry eye gets better poor baby
~~~~~~~~~~
I <3 Pugs!!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
naturalfeddogs
New Around Here

Have you considered a raw diet? I had a dog years ago who had allergies that turned near fatal. Once I switched to raw I have NEVER had another allergy related problem. Not to mention lots of other great benefits I never knew about.
Jenny

Dogs fed unnatural diets are predisposed to unatural outcomes
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition