Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » gordon setter

Old 11-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Howler
Been Around A While

gordon setter

Hello

Im looking to get a gordon setter in the next two years, ive seen a few at shows and have talked to breeders about them. they are an active exuberant breed and right up my street. grooming isnt an issue lol, but ive heard that they can be a bit touchy with other dogs sometimes.

does anyone have any advice or opinions on the breed?

Howler

p.s the decision was between a gordon or a leonberger lol (still secretly dreaming of a leo!!!!)
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I have always loved the setter breeds. Dont know too much about them other than they arte high energy
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I love both gordons and leonbergers.

Gordons as puppies are hyper as any gun dog breed will be, also will be a chew hound, so I would definatly crate train as a puppy. I was actually going to get a English Setter, and I met some breeders at shows and talked to them about the breed.

I would NOT take the word of a breeder at shows...they LOVE their breed and they most likely wont point out issues or problems with the breed unless YOU ask about them and know some information. Breeders LOVE their breed and want a GREAT reputation and nothing negative.

To me setters are smart, and want to please. But they have their quirks. To me if not exercised they will be highly hyper and destructive in their early years.

I LOVE Leonbergers. They do not drool like their cousins Newfoundlands/Mountain dogs/ St Bernards. They are very playfull despite their size. I was at a dog show and there was 5 Leos there...it was AMAZING to watch them play bow and wrestle...that was A LOT of weight being thrown around.

They are low-grooming. They are suppose to be all natural in the ring, no clipping/trimming allowed. But brushing daily is requred as they shed...alot!

The breeder I talked to said they need exercise. She had 100 acres of land they ran on...for a giant breed they do need exercise. They are also one of the longer lived of the giant breeds.

They make great therapy dogs. I love their nature, as mature adults they are laid back but also have a playful mode thats interesting. If you have the space for them and the $$$ for the food they are very neat dogs.

Leos make great watch/guard dogs according to the breeders I have talked to. If they are in your house and someone breaks in they will stand their ground and guard you/family. Most descriptions of the breed say they are non-agressive ect but they are a dog and will guard. (Reason I was interested in them)

Last edited by Shara : 11-15-2010 at 06:05 PM.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Howler
Been Around A While

shara nooo! id talked myself out of a leo lol. i met a woman who does water work (rescue) with them and i fell in love. it was their use as therapy and disability dogs that interested me to begin with, mums illness really brings home how much animals could make a difference in someones life.

im in no rush to get another dog at the moment and am doing my research into both chosen breeds. i have a friend who breeds red setters and of course she prefers them over the gordon lol. i love their size and exuberance, but every time i see i leonberger i want one of those as well!

help!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Yes I have met people who do water rescue/therapy...its amazing how common they are here in Texas, and how active they are in such activities!

If you like Setters, look into the Irish red and white setter as well. They are a "new akc" setter...kissing cousins to the Irish Setter.

"Despite its name, the Irish Red and White Setter is a distinct breed, not just a different colored version of the Irish Setter. Bred primarily for the field, they should be strong, powerful and athletic, with a keen and intelligent attitude. The coat’s base color is white with solid red patches."

I think they are almost "untouched" by the bad breeding practices. They havent been messed up by "beauty breeding" like other breeds.

I have not met one or talked to any breeders in person. I have talked to some online but its been a while. =)
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
JessicaR
Been Around A While

A kid in my sons 4-h class has an irish red and white beautiful dog! Very actice though and a little strong willed. But very friendly
Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Howler
Been Around A While

i dont mind the high activity levels, i like it lol. charlie is a complete nut unless he has enough exercise so im well used to it! i love the larger breeds, charlie is the smallest i would go again. ive come accross a few red and white and agree they are beautiful. i like the gordons because over here they arent so common in my part of the UK. its a long way off until i get one but im well into doing my research and making sure i make the right decision.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Its good you are doing lots of research first. Too many people just get a dog based on looks and dont make sure the activity or personality matches with their own.

I have been looking into other breeds myself, even though I will always love my shelties. Breeds i am considering are german shepherd, border collie, poodle, and samoyed. But it will be several years before I even think of getting a different breed.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Howler
Been Around A While

i was never fond of poodles until i started grooming, theres just something special about the standard poodle.

on different note ive just booked the dates for crufts 2011 off of work whoop! cant wait already!

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds