Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » Best of Breeds

Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
ButterflySlave
New Around Here

Question Best of Breeds

My husband and I are previous Labrador owners and sadly, in 2008, we had to put our Shiloh down. (You may have actually heard of him as I posted about it in the Rainbow Bridge board). We currently don't own any dogs (or cats for that matter) and were curious about different breeds that may be best for us. We're looking for a small(ish) dog, obviously smaller than a Labrador. We live in a 1 bedroom (so small) apartment, and no yard, so outdoor visits would require leash play.

Are there dog breeds best suited for apartment life? We talked to a petshop, and they suggested a King Cavalier Spaniel, and we actually got interested in a specific dog, but we wanted to do our research first.

Does anyone own Cavalier Spaniels? Can tell me a bit about them?

Information for grooming requirements , sizes etc and stuff would be excellent, but if you let me know your favorite breed I can just as easily look them up.

Also, dogs known to have problems with getting along with children would have to be out of the question because we are going to be expanding the family at some point.
ButterflySlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Cavies CAN have some major health issues. You need to research the blood line before you buy one.

As for basic and specific breed info I suggest you look over the following links. Others here may have more for you.

http://animal.discovery.com/guides/d.../choosing.html

http://www.akc.org/breeds/

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-breeds/dog-breeds.aspx

I tell ppl that the most important thing is not to find a dog that fits your home, it is more important that it fits your life style!!!

All the best in your search for the perfect dog for you!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
pennycantu
Been Around A While

i personally love my italian greyhound mix. they are great for families with older kids or no kids. they love to cuddle and excel at litter box training. they are great for people with allergies too.
pennycantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
I am currently training a patterdale terrier. Oh, what a super breed. Max weight will be about 20 pounds. A short haired sturdy dog that will be able to keep up with a baby at some point and be able to handle roughness if need be. Very social and happy.
Only bad point is they are extremely high energy, but very trainable and eager to please. It's a working dog so that's to be expected.
Look them up they come in lots of different colors.
It's a fairly rare breed so if you need help let me know. It sounds like it would fit perfect into your lives.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
ButterflySlave
New Around Here

A patterdale terrier. I've been studying dogs since I was like 8 years old, and have heard VERY little about this breed. I have heard, however, that due to their strong, confident attitude, they have a high tendency for "Small Dog Syndrome". Something that my husband would not stand for. We also have heard a lot of stories as they don't make good apartment dogs because of their excessive desire for play and hunt. Though of course this is all what we've heard from others, many people whom only researched them, and not actually owned them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dogmom View Post
I am currently training a patterdale terrier. Oh, what a super breed. Max weight will be about 20 pounds. A short haired sturdy dog that will be able to keep up with a baby at some point and be able to handle roughness if need be. Very social and happy.
Only bad point is they are extremely high energy, but very trainable and eager to please. It's a working dog so that's to be expected.
Look them up they come in lots of different colors.
It's a fairly rare breed so if you need help let me know. It sounds like it would fit perfect into your lives.
ButterflySlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflySlave View Post
A patterdale terrier. I've been studying dogs since I was like 8 years old, and have heard VERY little about this breed. I have heard, however, that due to their strong, confident attitude, they have a high tendency for "Small Dog Syndrome". Something that my husband would not stand for. We also have heard a lot of stories as they don't make good apartment dogs because of their excessive desire for play and hunt. Though of course this is all what we've heard from others, many people whom only researched them, and not actually owned them.
They are definitly strong and confident, but the little guy I am training is so eager to please. He is super happy and friendly with everyone, they just got another one, a little girl ( i haven't seen her yet) but they say she's a little more reserved, but very calm. I think all small dogs have the tendency for small dog syndrome, it just depends on the environment. I can ask her for pictures of him if you like.
I have been training him for only three weeks and he is picking up on everything so great and he is only five months old. He heels fairly well, distractions are a thing, his auto sit is perfect, and we just learned down today and he picked up on it so quickly. I love how he looks at his mama, like "ok mama tell me what to do next" it's so cute.
I've been around quite a few cavaliers, all of them were very sweet and cute, but kindof shy. lower energy, needs lots of grooming. The dirt doesnt' just wipe out of the hair. We do have one that just finished agility. Sweet little dog.
I will keep thinking for you.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #7
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
If I was in an appartment I would have any of the 'toy' group of dogs, they are all small and smart, and were bred for companionship. http://www.akc.org/breeds/toy_group.cfm

Some might be a lil vocal for appartment life, but if raised and trained in that setting, I am sure they will be ok =)
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #8
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
I personally LOVE the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I own one I rescued about 4 years ago and I don't know that I will ever NOT own one. He is very sweet and loyal and happy. Not very fearful even though he was not treated well in the past. Mine in particular has a luxating patella that is common in most small breeds but has been healthy otherwise. They do have trouble sometimes with heart problems and a few other issues but if you get one who has been checked by a vet and bred properly they are WONDERFUL dogs. Heres a pic of my Leo! He does have itchy skin so I keep him clipped short in the summer but usually they require very little grooming, just a regular brush and bath is really all they need unless they have allergies like my Leo does...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nugdanleo 032.jpg (27.3 KB, 28 views)
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Momto3
Been Around A While

Leo's a dollbaby. Have always wanted a Cavvy but I'm sorta stuck on Cockers!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Leo's a dollbaby. Have always wanted a Cavvy but I'm sorta stuck on Cockers!
I know I'm partial to both, but I do have to say that a Cavie has all the cuteness and personality of a Cocker without the bad attitude LOL
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds