Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » Breed compatibility with children

Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

Breed compatibility with children

I stumbled across this article on another dog site. As the owner of a Giant Schnauzer who loves the company of children I was quite taken aback at the placing of the breed in the lowest category of compatibility with children.

I can sort of understand that a large GS puppy or juvenile could inadvertently hurt a small child with their boisterous play. Surely that is true of any breed? No right thinking person would leave a small child unsupervised with a dog.

What do owners of the various listed breeds think of this "ranking"?

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/charac...ible-with-kids
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Considering where they ranked labs and golden retrievers I'd say this ranking is totally bogus as these breeds are known to be the best around children. Now that may change in the future with irresponsible breeders, over breeding and poor crosses being made but overall they are still extremely good with children. Also they listed a puggle as a breed...it is a mutt not a breed and this mix hasn't proven itself long enough to have 'breed' specific characteristics.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

After reading Fubilator's post, I didn't even bother looking at it. I have already wasted too much time reading stupidity. Anybody, the ignorant, crackpots, the agenda driven, lord knows what else, with a few bucks can put up a website. I have been hanging out on different dog forums for close to 10 years, Xpertsite, Ask me, Point Ask, Pooch Lovers, K-9 Forum, The Puppy Pub, and some that are still in existence that I feel it would be wrong to mention here. I have seen many links to perfectly dreadful advice plus the suggestion that you Google for more information. One of the worst ones was somebody asking for help with an 8 week old Great Dane puppy that wouldn't move on lead. One highly active idiot Googled up instructions from a Robert Koehler fan. Drop a choke collar on it and drag it around until it does walk. They did point out puppies have a short attention span, so you should limit it to a half hour. Sheesh! The internet is a hazardous place to seek advice on subjects you know little about. On that same site on an electrical questions somebody believing they were qualified to give electrical advice said aluminum wasn't a conductor.

Getting back to topic. I like larger dogs with children. They see a toddler falling on them as just more play. I think all but the most poorly bred dogs will be good with children if exposed to them early, before 12 weeks. We changed churches a couple of years ago. We rejected one for a lack of children to socialize our puppies with.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Both of my breeds were level 2 with kids. And my dogs all adore children. I've seen 3 kids simultaneously sitting on cerb, yanking his ear, and the third stuck her finger right up his nostril. He was grinning through it all.
The doxies probably would've run from all that, but they do enjoy sitting on them and getting pets from kids. Brigit in particular is in love with my 10 year old cousin.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Shelties ranked number 3, probably because they are a herding breed that has a tendency to nip at kids that run.

I really dont think its fair to classify breeds like that because it really depends on the individual dogs temperment and the childrens interaction with dogs.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I really dont think its fair to classify breeds like that because it really depends on the individual dogs temperment and the childrens interaction with dogs.
I agree with Jessica. Individual temperment is a much more important factor when figuring overall compatibility with children. This so called "list" is a lot more like BSL in that it doesn't allow for the evaluation of each dog on an individual basis.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
A 'list for kids/bad for kids' is going to varry person to person, so going by someones website is just that, pure opinion.

I would trust my doxie around any child, and my border collie, who would be most likely to lick the kid to death vs herd-n-nip it. Each dog is going to be diffrent based on training/temperment/the kids in question.

I think Wolfwalker was just appauled someone would put a GS in the 'dangerous dog breeds for kids' since his does so well with kids. But I wouldnt worry about this, because again, people put up sites with opinions and facts that can be biased based on what point they want to make, aka...if they want to point out how dangerous X breed is with reports of nothing but about bad cases of that breed...ect...
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDog4U View Post
I agree with Jessica. Individual temperment is a much more important factor when figuring overall compatibility with children. This so called "list" is a lot more like BSL in that it doesn't allow for the evaluation of each dog on an individual basis.

Totally agree. I got/have had dogs who hated kids. All in the same breed.

Me and myself - go figure....I am older, had children of my own, blah blah....I should adore those little tykes you bring around but guess what? Leave your kids at home! I really prefer a DOG!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Me and myself - go figure....I am older, had children of my own, blah blah....I should adore those little tykes you bring around but guess what? Leave your kids at home! I really prefer a DOG! [/color][/size][/font][/quote]

Thank you for that! LOL I thought I was alone not adoring everyone's kids but rather enjoying the company of their pets more.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
That was cool, pits and bulldogs are in the #2 . I love how my guys act around kids. They all love the kids that come play. Couldn't believe that the clumber spaniels are #3. That's my second favorite breed even though I have never seen one for real.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds