Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » Australian cattle dogs??

Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

It's fun when they argue with you. LOL. It's mostly the ignorant redneck-types that do the dockin on the ACD's. My aunts got one with no tail. She's still beautiful, she just has to butt-wiggle to show she's happy!
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Danielle
Been Around A While

LOL at the butt wiggle!

My horse does that if you scratch his butt, we call it the "Bum Rumba!" Too cute for words!

Awwwww I would cry if I saw a docked ACD! Im not anti docking, but this breed was never designed to have its tail lopped off, waaaaaah!
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
JessicaR
Been Around A While

that's weird that they dock them for working. I thought the tail acted as a rudder during quick turns which helps them avoid cattle?
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
hcromley
Been Around A While

i was gonna say my dad has had blue heelers for years and everyone hes gotten has had a docked tail all the blue heelers i have seen have been docked
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Yeah, there really are a lot over here in the US with no tails. I know my dog uses his big tail as a rudder when he's going after his squirrels, so I imagine it would help, not hinder, when working livestock.

But, the breed standard says nothing about docking the tails.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #16
JessicaR
Been Around A While

the breed standard says the tail should be of enough length to reach the hock. If it is docked it cant reach the hocks
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
Danielle
Been Around A While

Its just sad that it is so common over there. I feel sorry for the poor ACD's that are overseas.

They were never designed to be docked. Jessica is right, the tail is used as a rudder to steer when doing sharp turns and avoiding cattle. The flat head is also bred into them to deal with kicks from the cattles hooves....the hoof tends to slide right off the head.

(This could be a contributing reason as to why the Smithfield failed as a cattle dog - no tail).

I also worry a lot about ACD's in other countries because many foreigners dont know their history or genetic make up and arent prepared for what the ACD brings into your home. They are very unpredictable dogs and in the wrong hands (or uneducated hands) they can be quite dangerous. I always hear stories of ACD's attacking ppl in the USA, but it is rare over here as most aussies grew up with them and are aware of what an ACD actually is. Over here they are known as "The dog that bites the hand that feeds him", so ppl are quite cautious around them, my hubby never turns his back on Abbi, he has learnt that lesson on more than one occasion.

Its so sad to see their plight overseas.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #18
Monsterpuppy
Been Around A While

Where I live, we see a lot of mixes with bob tails. I honestly don't think they're docking them. Some of the puppies have stub tails and some have tails, even in the same litter. Not sure what's going on - maybe they're mixing with the australian shepherds? I'm too ignorant about the breed to know. Of course, there are ranchers in some places that dock border collies, so who knows what's going on? I like the tails on the medium sized traditional type cattle dogs. They balance them out and often have rings like a raccon, and the dogs definately use them. The smaller dogs they're calling "heelers" or "Queenslands" look very different. The medium sized version has tails, it's the smaller version that has the stubs. The larger version often has a white coat with patches of color, or even tricolor. The smaller version tends toward the solid "grizzled" blue or red with freckling on the legs, and the bentley mark.
---------------------------------------------------------
Proper dog spoilage is an art form.

http://www.weaselpuppy.com
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-themed-gifts-and-awards
http://www.cafepress.com/weaselpuppy
Monsterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Its just sad that it is so common over there. I feel sorry for the poor ACD's that are overseas.

They were never designed to be docked. Jessica is right, the tail is used as a rudder to steer when doing sharp turns and avoiding cattle. The flat head is also bred into them to deal with kicks from the cattles hooves....the hoof tends to slide right off the head.

(This could be a contributing reason as to why the Smithfield failed as a cattle dog - no tail).

I also worry a lot about ACD's in other countries because many foreigners dont know their history or genetic make up and arent prepared for what the ACD brings into your home. They are very unpredictable dogs and in the wrong hands (or uneducated hands) they can be quite dangerous. I always hear stories of ACD's attacking ppl in the USA, but it is rare over here as most aussies grew up with them and are aware of what an ACD actually is. Over here they are known as "The dog that bites the hand that feeds him", so ppl are quite cautious around them, my hubby never turns his back on Abbi, he has learnt that lesson on more than one occasion.

I wouldn't call it a plight, and from the ACD's that I have gotten a glance at, they have their tails long, I've actually only seen one red ACD that was docked. Could be a Cali thing, but then again they aren't all to common here as other breeds.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post

Wow, I love my Cerb. I guess he has enough mix in him to mellow him out a bit. He bit me one time as a pup, but a bunch of drunk kids were riling him up, and for some reason I was the one that got the bite. But never since. I'm planning on getting a pure ACD in the future, with a tail of course.

I've had several ppl comment to me on the fact that he lives indoors. Ppl think it can't be done. I laugh at them. I had a man argue with me once on a walk. I can't believe they're known as biters over there. That's just not what I've seen with the heelers I've met.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds