Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » Australian cattle dogs??

Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Australian cattle dogs??

at my sons 4-h training last night there was 2 acd's I think both of them full grown are about the size of my 14 1/4 inch sheltie and they had docked tails. I don't know much about acd's, but I thought they were bigger than shelties and they had tails?? Also they both had this extremely loud high pitched bark is that typical of an acd?

I am just curious about them since I have not been around a acd before.

and I got to meet a beautiful irish red and white setter named Maverick
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Ohhh the Irish must have been simply stunning!

Umm the only experience I have had with ACD's was one that used to be guard dog at my father's mechanic shop...Named Pancho. From what I remember (so long ago) they were actually a medium sized, Pancho never really barked so I wouldn't know about that. Not sure that the docked tail is in their standard either, Pancho didn't have a docked tail.

Just checked on AKC, they are actually supposed to have a tail and as for size:

Dogs 46-51 cms (approx. 18-20 ins) at withers
Bitches 43-48 cms (approx. 17-19 ins) at withers

So the ones you say were rather small. What color were they? Blue? Red?
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
JessicaR
Been Around A While

they had 1 of each, a red and a blue. the blue was very obviously a male I think the red was a female. the acd's I have seen on tv all had tails so I wasn't sure why theirs was docked. I couldn't go talk to the owners because anytime any one got near them the dogs started screaming in a very ear peircing pitch.

The Irish was beautiful!! he is only 6 moths old but he is a looker. The dad is training him to work in the field with his visla. I will have to try and get some pics Sunday
Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
they had 1 of each, a red and a blue. the blue was very obviously a male I think the red was a female. the acd's I have seen on tv all had tails so I wasn't sure why theirs was docked. I couldn't go talk to the owners because anytime any one got near them the dogs started screaming in a very ear peircing pitch.

The Irish was beautiful!! he is only 6 moths old but he is a looker. The dad is training him to work in the field with his visla. I will have to try and get some pics Sunday
Ya, pictures would be awesome Thats really weird that they would scream like that... is it an aggressive or frightened kind of a scream?
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Danielle
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
at my sons 4-h training last night there was 2 acd's I think both of them full grown are about the size of my 14 1/4 inch sheltie and they had docked tails. I don't know much about acd's, but I thought they were bigger than shelties and they had tails?? Also they both had this extremely loud high pitched bark is that typical of an acd?

I am just curious about them since I have not been around a acd before.

and I got to meet a beautiful irish red and white setter named Maverick

The ACD isnt a docked dog. You probably saw Smithfields. They are a natural bobtailed dog. They come in blue or red. The Smithies are a touch smaller than the typical ACD but are still a bit bigger than a sheltie. Google "Smithfield Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs" and you will find all your answers. They aren't related to the ACD regardless of how much they look alike. The only genetically similar heritage is the dingo influence.

They can have a high pitched bark depending on the reason for the bark.

My Smithy has a high pitched bark if she is warning me of danger, otherwise it is just a general deep bark.

Hope this helps.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
Monsterpuppy
Been Around A While

I can never keep the cattledogs/heelers straight. There seem to be several types of dog referred to as "cattle dogs" Queensland heelers, stumpy tails, Australian Cattle dogs, Blue and Red Heelers, etc. Different people catagorize them differently. Some will tell you the heelers and the cattle dogs are just different names for the same dog, some insist they're different, some throw Queensland heelers in the pot, some say they are different, some say they're all heelers, some don't. They seem to catagorize the littler ones as heelers. Sometimes they're bob-tailed. They bigger ones with tails are "cattle dogs" and then there is one owned by one of my flyball teammates that she insists is a stumpy-tail. I sort of have the impression that cattle dogs were a work in progress with several variations along the way, some of which were recognized by kennel clubs and bred for show and some which were farm bred.

The stumpy tail my teammates have has such a high-pitched bark that it seems supersonic, and is small enough to run as height dog. Maybe she's a smithfield.
---------------------------------------------------------
Proper dog spoilage is an art form.

http://www.weaselpuppy.com
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-themed-gifts-and-awards
http://www.cafepress.com/weaselpuppy
Monsterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
Danielle
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterpuppy View Post
I can never keep the cattledogs/heelers straight. There seem to be several types of dog referred to as "cattle dogs" Queensland heelers, stumpy tails, Australian Cattle dogs, Blue and Red Heelers, etc. Different people catagorize them differently. Some will tell you the heelers and the cattle dogs are just different names for the same dog, some insist they're different, some throw Queensland heelers in the pot, some say they are different, some say they're all heelers, some don't. They seem to catagorize the littler ones as heelers. Sometimes they're bob-tailed. They bigger ones with tails are "cattle dogs" and then there is one owned by one of my flyball teammates that she insists is a stumpy-tail. I sort of have the impression that cattle dogs were a work in progress with several variations along the way, some of which were recognized by kennel clubs and bred for show and some which were farm bred.

The stumpy tail my teammates have has such a high-pitched bark that it seems supersonic, and is small enough to run as height dog. Maybe she's a smithfield.

Hey Monsterpuppy!

I can see how you can get confused with it all, so let me break it down for ya.

The "Blue Heeler, Red Heeler, Queensland Blue Heeler, Australian Cattle Dog and Cattle Dog" are all the same thing. They come the just the red and blue merle colours. Lots of names for same dog, pretty silly eh?

But then you have the "Smithfield Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog" or "Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog" which is a totally different breed altogether although they look identical except for the bobtail.

So thats it, you either have a Cattle Dog or a Smithy.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
JessicaR
Been Around A While

ok maybe thats what they were. I couldnt talk to the owners due to the supersonic bark any time anyone got near them! I think it was a fear response from their body posture. They ended up having to take the red one out as she was the worst one.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

There are also a lot of docked tailed cattle dogs over here in the states, Dani. A lot of ranchers/farmers dock them bc they think it helps them work the livestock.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #10
Danielle
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
There are also a lot of docked tailed cattle dogs over here in the states, Dani. A lot of ranchers/farmers dock them bc they think it helps them work the livestock.

OMG! That never would be done here,

That breaks my heart, the ACD was never meant to be a docked breed.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds