Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » 5 Most and Least Intelligent Breeds

Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Danielle
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyLabs View Post
I agree. You can't lump all dogs of one breed together and say "this is the smartest". It's not accurate.

Sure, some dogs have abilities that are bred into them that make them seem "smarter" than others. Other dogs have no real ingrained purpose but are just as smart as those that do.
Every dog is an individual outside of the breed.
Yup, fully agree.

But I think it was said in a more "trainability" way and I think it was an overall generalisation of breeds. Of course it would be impossible to be one hundred percent accurate with classifying breed trainability as you can not study each and every dog.

I know the Affies are one of, if not the hardest to train, but yet Ive seen one who is a champ in obedience! Go figure!

But I do agree that as a general rule of thumb, the list being 'borders', then 'poodles', etc, is fairly accurate.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
LoveMyLabs
Been Around A While

I've seen lists where Labs were in the top 5 (or 10 depending on the list). Usually you do see Borders (with their herding abilities and energy), Poodles (with their easy trainability and retrieving) in the top 5 or 10 as well.

I've seen Chi's near the top of the list. That blows my mind. No offense to Chi lovers. They just don't seem to bright most of the time. Again, each dog is different outside the breed norm.

It seems to me that most of the dogs listed in the top 5 or 10 usually have a purpose (herding, retrieving, service dog *usual breeds*, etc or those that are known for their agility or ease in training).
Tony, Kim, Gunner & Tira.
LoveMyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds