Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Tyra the Tyrant

Old 10-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Tyra the Tyrant

Tyra bit Shara again, this time it was very violent. Dont know what to do.

I love them both but...it was terrible...I thought she seriously hurt Shara, she grabed her on the face, and it happened so fast I thought she might had gotten an eye...and that is my worst fear.

I would hate to, but I am seriously considering returning her, which would be awful considering all the money I have already put into her, not to mention part of my heart.

I cant have her seriously injuring another dog though.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I totally understand the eye thing. My husband's cat goes for the eyes when she's mad. She's goten one of the other cats, and Brigit the night she came home. IT scared the crap out of me. Maybe Tyra would be better off as a single dog. Some dogs are just like that.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Im sorry to hear that Tyra bit Shara again ... I have to agree with CerbiesMom. Some dogs just dont want to share personal space with other pets. It happens ... Its much better to rehome a dog that is clearly not comfortable around other pets. After all, Its going to be better for both dogs in the long run.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

I know exactly what yall are talking about... She is so defensive when either of the dogs OR cat come around a human. My trainer says she is laying 'claim' to the human she is with, then when one comes an invades her space, she attacks.

Well all our dogs and the cat sleep litterally on top of eachother in laps...and she is breaking all the rules/bonds. The wierd thing is she can be fine with them laying next to eachother, its just all sudden she snaps...

The thing is she has been rehomed so many times, I really am hoping my trainer will be able to help her...She has come a LONG ways from what she started out as...BUT getting to where shes 100% I dont want to sacrifice a dog or cats eye in the process....

Maybe I should make them all wear goggles...

=sigh=
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Think about the safety end of it. Maybe she would be better in a one dog home.
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

Dunno - it took Merlin a while before he lost his aggression towards the others and now he sleeps butt to butt with all the rest. I did forbid his sleeping with me for a while so now he asks permission to come to bed. All tolled - maybe 6 months before he started actually playing with the others. Merlin's never done any serious damage though. I have learned he must be kept apart from everyone else for food of any sort and I sure hope he gets over that problem. He still does not have the freedoms everyone else does.

If Tyra's that bad and already returned numerous times, she may need to go to an only home where she can be trained. jmho I certainly don't give up easily on my rescues but I did not hesitate to put Charlie down after he attacked me. That I won't have period!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Laying claim... it seems like a plausible idea but I'm not sure... still no idea why she does what she does?

Sometimes part of loving a dog that we've taken in is to realize when it would be in the dog's best interest to get a new home. Its hard but you can't risk the safety of others.

I think it would just be best to keep them separate until your trainer can find a way to rehabilitate her. Have you tried or wondered if maybe what she needs is the NILIF program?
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Shara
Been Around A While

I am ordering her a muzzle, my trainer suggested it...its going to be a hard thing to do but her attacks are so random. Litterally 1 full week no problems, thought she was 'fixed' then she bit the crap outta me Tuesday, and last night she attacked Tayla.

She HAS improved dramatically...I need to give her more time.
~Meredith
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Wow, why did she attack you? Thats so strange that these attacks are random. I think you already addressed this issue before but has a vet given her a full check up? It might be either some hormonal imbalance or a nervous problem. It just doesn't seem healthy. But you are right, a little more time could help if all she needs is a little more socialization.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Shara
Been Around A While

Steven, shes attacked me over 10 times since we got her, I even have scars on my hands/arm. Its always with another dog around, shes so nervous and cowardly acting, and like I have said before, she litterally follows me around like a lost puppy dog.

We think shes either guarding me, or claming. I dont think shes trying to be alpha. She knows I am boss, but when they start to fight and I go to break it up, I get bit.

She hasnt bitten anyone else, and if she did bite Mom or Dad I think she would be sent back ASAP. Thats why I am trying everything to address the issue.

Once I get the muzzle I plan on putting a lot of pressure on her with it on, and getting her to snap, that way I can correct it, and no one will get hurt.

I think I understand now why she was returned multiple times to the rescue center.
~Meredith

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly