Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health » Senior dog paired with seniors

Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Senior dog paired with seniors

S.F. nonprofit finds new homes for elderly dogs

Meredith May, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, November 28, 2008

Estella is missing an eye. Ruthie has an inoperable tumor. Stimpy D has arthritis in his hips.
Geriatric dogs, they would have been euthanized if not for Muttville - a new San Francisco nonprofit that specializes in finding homes for senior dogs that still have a few good years left.

Founder Sherri Franklin has discovered a niche adoption market for old dogs among veterinarians, do-gooders and senior citizens.
People like 78-year-old Marcel Doubovitch of San Francisco, who called Muttville in tears after her husband of 40 years died.
Franklin matched Doubovitch with an elder Chihuahua that had been abused - left outdoors in a wooden soapbox for several years.
Now widow and canine are inseparable.
"I'm so happy!" Doubovitch said. "Before, I would think of my husband and cry. I don't now because she's such a love bug - absolutely something special. I love her dearly."
Senior dogs and senior people go well together, Franklin said, because the dogs are mellow and match the energy level of most seniors. They share a bond in the aging process, and it's common for adopters to select dogs that have the same ailments, she said.

see rest of article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAIA149NHG.DTL
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Sounds like a good NP program, gets two things done: helps dogs and helps these people. Glad to hear its up and running
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Momto3
Been Around A While

We've got "Seniors for Seniors" programs all over the place in Florida! Basically free elder dogs for elderly people. Even rescues here will adopt out an elder for free to a good home! I think it's an awesome program...my last three were adopted free to me cause it was thought they were over 10. hehehehe...one is about 5 or 6 - he just looked really rough after being homeless for who knows how long!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
i dont think we have a senior dogs for seniors programme here but i know that many rescue organisations are very good at matching energy levels between prospective owners and dogs so many older dogs do find homes. and a lot of independant rescue organisations now operate a non euthanisation programme so no dog is put to sleep just because it is difficult to home through age or illness.

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
I think this is a wonderful idea. I am all for it mainly because and elderly person is to old to be wanting to play like a puppy would and older people dont want to go on walks because of their pains and arthritis. Pairing them up with a dog that is old and have similar problems is great. The elderly person is getting joy/love without all the work of a younger dog and yet they also can choose the breed they want instead of choosing a young dog that isnt hyper active and might not be the breed they favor. It is a win-win situation. Plus the fact that dogs make elderly people increase their life span is also another plus to the program. I hope to see the program used throughout the US.

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health