Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health » Treating arthritis

Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Treating arthritis

Treating arthritis in dogs and cats

December 29, 4:49 PM
by Carol Alexander,

The inflammatory process known as arthritis is extremely uncomfortable, even crippling, to many pets. It is often age-related, and can be degenerative. Arthritis can also be brought on by infection and other forms of physical trauma. There are three main forms of this condition: bacterial arthritis, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
With any form of arthritis, one or more of the joints becomes inflamed and swollen, limiting the animalís mobility. You may notice symptoms of the condition when your pet has difficulty jumping up, running, or even walking easily. Diagnosis should be made by a veterinarian and treatment options discussed. Frequently, the conventional drug of choice is a corticosteroid, which can have side effects such as muscle weakness, ulcers, fatty deposits, and adrenal suppression. Steroids should not be used on a long-term basis, particularly without ongoing supervision of a veterinarian.
Alternative therapies for arthritis include Glucosamine, MSM, Chondrotin, flaxseed oil, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, and massage. There are also several compounds on the market that claim to treat arthritis in pets with great efficacy. An independent survey concluded that FlexPet with CM8 and Arthro-IonX, both commercially available through their web sites, have the greatest success rate. A company called PermaHEALTH, Inc. also offers a compound of CMO (Cerasomal cis-9-cetyl myristoleate) that has been used by humans and animals on either a short- or long-term basis.

See rest of article:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2079-NY-Pe...-dogs-and-cats
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Interesting article K9 They didn't mention heating, isn't that a huge comfort for dogs with arthritis? Thanks for sharing that
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
k9mania
Administrator

Heating can be bad because if you have inflammation it will make the pain better but the swelling worse. However, a good way to do it is to heat then ice. Ice shrinks the blood vessels. This is really good for muscle spasms as a result of arthritis.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
Heating can be bad because if you have inflammation it will make the pain better but the swelling worse. However, a good way to do it is to heat then ice. Ice shrinks the blood vessels. This is really good for muscle spasms as a result of arthritis.
Oh, alright that makes logical sense, but then why is it recommended to get heated pads for older dogs esp. those with arthritis?
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
k9mania
Administrator

Heat feels better for sure. Also the inflammation from arthritis where the bones are really rubbing or wearing down actually feel worse in cold like weather. I have that problem now with my shoulder. The muscles that are healing and not used to working need a bit of ice but my neck has arthritis very bad. So to get the muscle spasms from both to breakdown, I heat and then ice. At night, I take a hot bath and then ice a bit while I read. Ice is not that comfortable really except just after surgery and an injury. But drafty cold and cold ground can make arthritis pain flare up then heat may make it feel better but it increases the blood flow to make inflammation worse. Confusing.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
Heat feels better for sure. Also the inflammation from arthritis where the bones are really rubbing or wearing down actually feel worse in cold like weather. I have that problem now with my shoulder. The muscles that are healing and not used to working need a bit of ice but my neck has arthritis very bad. So to get the muscle spasms from both to breakdown, I heat and then ice. At night, I take a hot bath and then ice a bit while I read. Ice is not that comfortable really except just after surgery and an injury. But drafty cold and cold ground can make arthritis pain flare up then heat may make it feel better but it increases the blood flow to make inflammation worse. Confusing.
Confusing indeed!
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Senior Health