Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies » Won't stop chewing everything outside

Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
PennysMom
Site Regular

Question Won't stop chewing everything outside

First, Hi everyone...i'm a new puppy mom...my husband and i just got penny 5 days ago...she is 9 weeks old she's a pit terrier lab mix. she's doing awesome with the potty training and sit so far and doing alright with her crate training (she's a smart puppy and i'm a proud mom). We are still working on the biting of the feet and pant legs, so any help there, and also chewing on everything out side when she's in the back yard..we've tried to keep her on a leash in the back yard and walk with us and she freaks out but will do just fine on a leash when we go for a walk and she just chews plants, grass, eats rocks, pebbles, everything. Distracting her, telling her no, squirting her with water, telling her to sit, come, picking her up then putting her back down, and nothing is working and when she's out back and chewing, she gets even more hyper than she already is as a puppy and then won't go potty. She knows how to go to the door sit in front of it to go outside and i don't want to discourage that but i dont' want her just outside chewing and playing and not going potty. please help, she seems so smart, i just need to know the right way to handle it for her to learn.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penny.jpg (20.2 KB, 25 views)
PennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Shells_k
Been Around A While

What a cutie pie!

Just my personal opinion, but until she is fully potty trained, don't let her play in the back yard. Take her out there ONLY to potty, do your praise/treats, and bring her right back inside so she understands that when she goes outside, she is to potty.

That is how I potty trained my three anyways. Good luck and I am sure you will got a lot more suggestions.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
LoveMyLabs
Been Around A While

I agree with shells. In the begining, until potty training is complete, a pup should only go out back to potty. Maybe take her to a dog park, in the front yard, or somewhere else to play. Somewhere without rocks, pebbles, or many plants. Some dogs really have issues with eating things they aren't supposed to or they like they way it feels or tastes. The key is to find something they really, really like and use that to get them to stop the unwanted behavior. It might be a toy, a ball, scent work, agility, water, food, etc. You just have to figure out what really makes the pup happy and willing to listen.
Tony, Kim, Gunner & Tira.
LoveMyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

"Leave it" might be one of her first commands to learn. The potty thing is all about praising when they did right and comes near naturally. All of my rescues - except for the 14 year old who cannot see nor hear - know the pee-poo command and do it near immediately. Congrats on the little one! I sure don't have the patience for a pupper. I can cater to these old guys day in/day out but puppies - no thank you!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
hcromley
Been Around A While

your pup is adorable and welcome to the site
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
elsasmom
Been Around A While

welcome to the forums

Your puppy is adorable. I look forward to seeing pictures of this one as she grows up.
I agree with LML that you need to distract Penny from chewing the wrong things by giving her something wonderful to chew instead.
My dog was (and still is) an enthusiastic chewer. I had to really watch that she had appropriate chew toys available at all times when she was at large in the house.
Good luck with that pretty pup
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Smile

That is, without doubt one of THE cutest puppies I have ever seen! What a doll!
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Your puppy is a real cutie! I just wanted to reach into my monitor and give her a big hug!!!

I feel that until she is house broken, she should be allowed very limited playtime in the backyard and when she IS allowed, she should always be on a short leash.

Allow me to explain: While I was house training Chip, (9-14 weeks old) I took him out to the same spot in the yard to do his business every time. After he "did his business", (because i have a rather large yard), I took him for an on-leash walk around the outside boarder of the yard. After two laps around the yard we would stop and play with his favorite toy for a few minutes. Then we returned to the house.

This served three purposes.
1. It showed him that as soon as we went out into the yard the first thing we did was "go potty".

2. As a reward for going potty, we got to have fun sniffing, walking and play with a fun toy.

3. As we continually walked by the potty area, he smelled that potty on the ground and quickly realized: "Hey, this is the bathroom!"

As a side benefit, he was also learning going potty was something I wanted him to do out side, he was learning his boarders, and he also learned that the backyard was a really fun place to be.

As for the chewing:
We all know that young puppies use thier mouth to explore EVERYTHING. This is how they learn about the world.

All puppies chew and they usually dont know that its wrong! So it is important that at this age we watch them ALL of the time. I suggest that you use a leash around the house for a few weeks. Because a leash is on the pup, you should never leave her alone as the leash could get caught on something and she could be injured.

Timing is Very Important when trying to correct unwanted behaivor. In this case, when she reachs toward AND MAKES CONTACT with an object that you dont want her to touch, give a light correction and tell her "NO - Leave It", A small correction should work fine depending on the personality of the dog. When you have her attention, give her a toy that she is allowed to chew and give her LAVISH praise for chewing IT. Repeat as nessassary. After she responds to the "No - Leave it" command all of the time you can drop the "NO" and just use "Leave IT" ...

Set your dog up for seccess. If you cant watch the dog, put her in her crate while you are not watching. Be sure to provide some high quality chew toys like a Kong, a nyla-bone or other high-quality rubber toys. During teathing, you can also role and wet towel up and freeze it. The cold will help sooth the teathing pain.

Once she is only chewing on toys IN the house, you can move this training OUTside. Apply the same training. Remove as many items from the yard as you can. When she gets an item you dont want her to chew on, correct her and replace it with a chew toy.

The key to stopping unwanted chewing is to be calm, consistant and patient. You have to "out will" the dog sometimes. Remember, if she wins, your house could be eaten in a very short time.

You dont need to be mean or dominating, just be firm, consistant and fair.

Last edited by BetterDog4U : 08-05-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling error
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
PennysMom
Site Regular

Thank you all for your help and advice...we just enrolled her in puppy school starting next week and got the book the dog whisper...i'm defintly going to take home a lot of the advice you all have given and give it a try.
PennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennysMom View Post
Thank you all for your help and advice...we just enrolled her in puppy school starting next week and got the book the dog whisper...i'm defintly going to take home a lot of the advice you all have given and give it a try.
Another very good book is: "What Color is Your Dog" by Joel Silverman
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies