Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Does Your Dog Eat Food Fast Or Slow?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #21
aussie_cattle_dog
New Around Here

Bart is a guts... he bolts his food like there is no tomorrow, and then waits until Max is either intimidated or bullied into surrendering the rest of his food. Max is not motivated by food like Bart is, but he does his best to keep up with Bart!
aussie_cattle_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
Momto3
Been Around A While

Mine will snarf it down so bad I had to put warm water in Charlie's to keep him from throwing it right back up. No free-feeding here either cause they'd sure be cocker piggies in no time at all.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #23
Furbilator
Been Around A While

When another dog is present Cassie will eat quickly but normally she eats at a reasonable pace. I couldn't free feed her because many labs are garbolators, meaning they will eat until they are ready to explode and generally become overweight easily. Cassie is usually very excited to get her meal because she is always fed after she has come home from a walk, hike or training session so it is like the reward after a good hunt and she's usually hungry. Doesn't hurt that she gets warm meatloaf (a.k.a. Cassie Casserole) for supper. Spoiled or what?
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
Furbilator
Been Around A While

[quote=PennysMom;87546]Penny has started eating her food fast since we switched her over to the better food. The past 2 nights though she's started puking around like 3 or 4 in the morning, she'll dry heave a bunch and then throw up a little bit. She doesn't throwup anything just clear mucus stuff, no food, nothing in it, her poop looks ok too and you can hear her stomach girgling like crazy and loud like 15 minutes before she pukes and then about half hour after and then she's fine. She's still her playful self like nothing happened. we took her to the vet today and they said she might just be drinking and eating ot fast and getting to much air in her system and then goes to lay down and sleep at night and it starts to work it's way out. We can do blood work for way expensive if she doesn't stop.

QUOTE]

Some have found the air in the tummy problem is eliminated by raising the water and food bowls up higher so that the dog isn't eating at floor height. Also, if you feed only once per day consider feeding at least twice a day so that there isn't a massive lump of food in her system still digesting throughout the night. Smaller meals more frequently may also reduce the gulping as the dog is satisfied and knows that there will be another chow session in a couple of hours.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennysMom View Post
Penny has started eating her food fast since we switched her over to the better food. The past 2 nights though she's started puking around like 3 or 4 in the morning, she'll dry heave a bunch and then throw up a little bit. She doesn't throwup anything just clear mucus stuff, no food, nothing in it, her poop looks ok too and you can hear her stomach girgling like crazy and loud like 15 minutes before she pukes and then about half hour after and then she's fine. She's still her playful self like nothing happened. we took her to the vet today and they said she might just be drinking and eating ot fast and getting to much air in her system and then goes to lay down and sleep at night and it starts to work it's way out. We can do blood work for way expensive if she doesn't stop.
Gizmo used to have this problem, actually the vet had a fancy name for it, but it's pretty much just like morning sickness...it came on all of a sudden too..even just a handful of kibble before bed, even sometimes i just put his kong in his crate with frozen peanutbutter in it, and it's enough to make his tummy not feel so on the edge and make him want to throw up..hope that helps.

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
Some have found the air in the tummy problem is eliminated by raising the water and food bowls up higher so that the dog isn't eating at floor height. Also, if you feed only once per day consider feeding at least twice a day so that there isn't a massive lump of food in her system still digesting throughout the night. Smaller meals more frequently may also reduce the gulping as the dog is satisfied and knows that there will be another chow session in a couple of hours.
I do believe Penny has a smaller breed dog, so I guess this could be a caution note for those that might consider this and have larger breeds. But raised food bowls may increase the risk of GDV according to a study: "During the study, 21 (2.4%) and 20 (2.7%) of the large and giant breed dogs, respectively, had at least 1 episode of GDV per year of observation and 29.6% of these dogs died. Increasing age, increasing thorax depth/width ratio, having a first degree relative with a history of GDV, a faster speed of eating, and using a raised feed bowl, were associated with an increased incidence of GDV."

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/update2.htm

However the suggestion of feeding multiple times a day is a good one, and I use it for my pooch. He gets two meals a day instead of one and he doesn't have much problems with digestion. Also if gulping air is a problem putting something in the food bowl to slow down the eating could help. A tennis ball usually works well. Another suggestion I've heard is spreading the kibble on a cookie sheet so that the dog can't really grab mouth fulls.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #27
Labman
Been Around A While

The Purdue study has been around for a while and sort of picked apart. You really need to look carefully at any study and how carefully the variables are controlled. Since dogs that are prone to bloat are usually the ones that have their food bowl raised, it only figures dogs with raised food bowls have more bloat problems. I would have expected more from Purdue.

I do agree slowing the dog by putting the food on a cookie sheet is a good idea. That is why I suggested it in post #17.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #28
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
The Purdue study has been around for a while and sort of picked apart. You really need to look carefully at any study and how carefully the variables are controlled. Since dogs that are prone to bloat are usually the ones that have their food bowl raised, it only figures dogs with raised food bowls have more bloat problems. I would have expected more from Purdue.
What a day it will be when there finally is a study that satisfies you.lol. Thing is that while what you say may be true, the study also involved some breeds considered large but that don't normally would get their food bowls raised. Some of these breeds include but are not limited to: Collie, Rottie, and Wiemaraner.
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 10-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #29
Labman
Been Around A While

What will really be a day is when you learn to apply critical thinking skills instead of bolting down everything new that comes along like you were a Lab.

I have great respect for many studies, more so than many here that think their personal experience is more valid than studies that have stood the test of time, been confirmed by newer studies, and meet the test of reflecting and explaining common, real world behaviors.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #30
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
What will really be a day is when you learn to apply critical thinking skills instead of bolting down everything new that comes along like you were a Lab.
If only you knew the first thing about critical thinking skills and the REAL art if debating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
I have great respect for many studies...
The only "studies" you like are the ones that agree with your opinions.

Eh, I'm done with this conversation, if it were possible to have an intelligible debate with you I would. But your rhetoric consists of nothing more than a pompous and condescending attitude....heh so much for CTS!

PS: My apologies to the OP and K9.
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition