Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » why do dogs eat poo!!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
janice
Been Around A While

why do dogs eat poo!!

I have a question which im sure has been asked befor but why do some dogs eat each others poo

my 2 terrier mixes have recently started to pick up poo im sure if im not quick enough they'd eat it not had this befor with any of my rotties
Lightning Strikes Flyball Team
Owned by Kaiza,Tag,Leo,widget & charlie
Aiken Running Free xxx
janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm infestation.

The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

For more information see http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Furbilator
Been Around A While

ITA with Labman, you find it more common in females and some believe that it goes back to protecting the den and pups from predators. What ever the reason the best solution is regular pooper scooping and not allowing them to roam in areas that are soiled by other dogs.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
bootscar1
Been Around A While

I have one that does this also but when she was a pup and we went to get her the people who had the mom had all of them in the kitchen in a big pen and they would let them roam freely. When the little ones went poop the mom would come and clean it up. My dog does it and I've found out that one of her brothers also does it so maybe its a mom to pup thing. I've tried many products but have not had any success so now if we go into a dog park where she is unleashed I muzzle her. At home the place where they all go to the bathroom I supervise and also keep that area very clean. I've also heard that some dogs will grow out of it... good luck and if you find a solution that works let me know ... !
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
janice
Been Around A While

Thanks for you reply's the 2 terriers are 11 months they are wormed regular and are fed on a balanced diet so im hoping they will then grow out of it, they dont pick it up when out on walks they only seem to do it my garden after my rottie so i'll be ready with poop bag a bit quicker
Lightning Strikes Flyball Team
Owned by Kaiza,Tag,Leo,widget & charlie
Aiken Running Free xxx
janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
VeronicaA
New Around Here

The best product you can get to help your dog stop eating poo is, Forbid Coprophagia Treatment. You sprinkle it on the dogs food and it makes their poop smell and taste bad to them so they stop eating it. I use to put in on my cat's food so Cookie wouldn't eat her poop. It really works. Also you may want to change your dogs diet. Sometimes they eat poop b/c they are not getting enough nutrition in their current diet. Hope this helps!
VeronicaA is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly