Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » So gross....why?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
PennysMom
Site Regular

So gross....why?

I really have no idea what to do anymore. Penny has been doing great with training and has turned into a wonderful pup. The only major problem we are having right now is she just won't stop eating poop. Her poop, the other dogs at the park poop. She doesn't care, she'll eat it. We try and watch her every second when she's outside but she's fast and can grab it. We've tried sprays, feeding her pineapple and just nothing seems to work. She's on Blue puppy food, she's 7months old, and the vet says she seems to be fine with nutrition and stuff, just can't figure out why she won't stop, it's getting worse and worse. Please any suggestions on how to get her to stop this gross habit she now has.

Thank you
PennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

Am anxious to see the replies you get because I have never had luck getting my dogs to not eat poop. With multiples all I can do is be right behind them with the bag and pick it up immediately so no one else decides to snack.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
7months old is really young, and might grow out of this.

I have caught my dogs eatting poo before, when I do I scold them in a disgusted 'momma' voice. I never have had a lasting problem with it.

If all else fails...to me if I was having this problem...I would get me some gloves, go outside with the dog, pick up some #2 and put it in the dogs mouth saying 'no' over and over. Put it on the ground and rub her nose in it, saying 'no'

Behaviors like this are really disgusting, I know, but it seems all dogs at some point do this, maybe only once but if it is as serious as you think it is, this is what I would do. Even in the dog parks, bring your gloves and do that exercise with the other dog poo. Make it as unpleasent as you can.

But the trick to this is, is to also show her that picking it up off the ground is a big no no, with you there or not. Teaching her a simple 'leave it' wont really work because you are not going to be present everytime she is going to be around #2.

I would be stirn, no treats or anything associated with an exercise like this.

They do have tablets to add to food as well, since pinapple doesnt work.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

The best way to deal with this is something called the extinction technique.
The less they actually do it, the less they will feel the need to do it.

In the beginning you need to make sure that you pick up as quickly as possible, and after that ALWAYS watch Penny closely to make sure you are in the position to stop her before she can pick anything up. To stop her, teach her the "leave it" command and then praise her and treat her for leaveing it alone.

Make no mistake, it will take alot of time to break this habbit. But not nearly as long as if you wait until she is older. I have had friends work at this for a few years to acheive the goal, but along the way the frequency has dropped drasticly. In my case, Neka is down to once or twice every few months were it used to be once or twice a day. BTW, Ive been working with her for two years.

Last edited by BetterDog4U : 01-10-2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: spelling error
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Howler
Been Around A While

our old bichon frise used to do this and we could never break him of it, he would only ever eat our other dogs poo though, not just random poop when on walks (and as i typed that i just realised how bizzarre it sounds!)

every now and then charlie will take a munch of bensons poop (no one elses) though if you give him a verbal reprimand he will stop, though it doesnt ever prevent him from the initial attempt to eat it. weve just gotten into the habit of pooping the garden twice a day, he cant eat it if its not there lol and on walks he isnt interested at all.

i know you can get supplements to add to food and ive heard the pineapple addition to a diet can stop coprophagy as well.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm infestation.

For more information see http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Some believe that it is a two fold response common mainly in females ; the first is the 'clean den' idea where a dog will try to keep the area around the vulnerable pups or their human companions clean to prevent predators from knowing the location of a den. The other reason is scent masking, although this is generally found in dogs that eat other animal's (non-canine) feces, the dog tries to mask their scent to prey by eating their prey's waste.

Both ideas are debatable but worth considering in my opinion to help you treat this condition. Keeping the yard free of dog waste even to the point of treating areas you have just picked poop up with with detergents or negative scents like pepper has helped some dogs get over this habit. I would couple that with a commercially available food additive and add on the leave-it command.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
woppitt
Been Around A While

I have a similar problem with Daisy - she will either eat her own, or Poppy's poos. She doesnt do it all the time, she will go for months not doing it then all of a sudden start all over again!! Ive not yet found out why she does it, but what I do know is that she is really enjoying frozen, snowy poo at the moment!!! haha!!!!!!!!! I think that ice and snow are enhancing any scents ans she is going for them big-style, jeez, Im having to be hot on at the mo!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Clair, Poppy, Daisy-Boo and Cooper xxx

every dog must have his day -
this consists of eating, sleeping and sniffing things
woppitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm infestation.

For more information see http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html
Forbid works great! Coors never ate dog poo, but he couldn't get enough of the horses poo. He GULPED it like was starving to death! And considering his terrible allergies to corn his itching went crazy. I started putting Forbid in the horses feed, and Coors just got close to it put his nose near a pile and thats all it took. Evidently the poo even smelled bad to him and he would leave it alone. It didn't break him from it, because as soon as it smelled "normal" again he was right back at it. The Forbid then came back. But as long it was there, he wouldn't touch it.
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly