Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
yorkie
Been Around A While

Need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Omg Roran has started to some major no no's.
Fist of all he has started ripping the house apart when i leave for just a short while. The pen i have for him dosent work anymore he just knocks it over. With that i think i will just tie it down to my oak table.

Now the biggest problem is that i can not leave him alone in the backyard anymore without him sounding like someone is killing him in cold blood.
I dont understand why he is doing this and i need help.
It sucks cuz i cant even bring him anywhere anymore cuz of his screeming...
Greg thinks that he has abandonment problems, and i have no idea how to fiz that... guys i need you on this one... its becoming a huge problem
yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Alright, lets take this little by little. First off, remind us how old Roran is? Has anything around the house changed? Routines changed? Are you completely sure there is nothing physically wrong with him? Physical ailments can sometimes be causes of strange behaviors.

This sounds like seperation anxiety, but it's strange because it is usually very apparent, it doesn't just pop out of nowhere.

Hmm, from what you post a good step would be to get a lot of mental stimulation and physical stimulation. Gotta get that energy out. If it's been raining or snowing and you've been keeping him inside a lot, could be that he has cabin fever.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Step 1
Get him a kennel, not a pen and put him in it every time you leave the house.
Step 2
When putting him in the kennel, be as calm and quiet as possible. Calm and quiet should be the rule every time you leave the house. If possible, leave a kong filled with treats to distract him that you are gone. If you have an old nightgown that you no longer want, rub it all over yourself and give it to him before you leave. Your scented nightgown will soothe him and calm some of the anxiety he may be feeling when you leave the house.
Step 3
Ignore his whimpers and whines while in the kennel
Step 4
Teach him 'quiet' command and use it frequently if he barks or whines while outside. If he continues to bark or whine while outside, take him inside the house and put him directly into the kennel until he calms down. No treats, no praise, no pats, no eyecontact, no nothing when he is bad. Lots of treats, lots of praise and lots of smiles and cuddles when he is good.
Step 5
Exercise him till his paws fall off . 99% of separation anxiety starts with animals that have too much residual energy and get all worked up when you leave.

I am a firm believer in kennel training as it saves a lot of heartache and damaged furniture. You can always sell the kennel later once he outgrows these behaviours. Often a lot of people just leave the kennel set up in the basement or spare room and the dog goes to it when ever they want, the door is no longer closed. They feel comforted in it.

Hope this helps,
Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
yorkie
Been Around A While

I will try that... thanks guys.

He will be 8 months on the 18th this month.
And when u asked if anything has changed, nothing has changed and hes healthy as can be.
The onlything that realy changed is that i got layed off work and i have been home alot more now.
Maybe he has gotten used to me being home so much. I am not to sure.
Even since i have had him, he allways has to be with me. and if i leave a room hes there, at night he has to be sleeping in the room next to the bed.
He has even started wimpering when i left him in the living room when i went down to my bedroom, and there were 4 ppl with him.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Definitely sounds like seperation anxiety and a mixture of a "theoretical" fear period. Follow the advice given to you on sep. anx. but also there are other things you need to do:

-To quiet him down, give him something with your scent on it. A sweater or a shirt is a good option.

- Try out pheromone plug ins, they are supposed to soothe restless dogs. Doesn't work in every case, but it's worth a try.

-Go through excercises that will increase him confidence. Such as having other people walk him, not only you. Leaving him in a room alone with a treat filled kong. Only a minute or so at first and slowly increasing the time. As discussed in another thread, allowing him to win at the Tug o war game can help boost him confidence.

- Do not give in to whimpering, crying, or barking.

-Provide plenty of mental stimulations, games that involve him using his head.

-Socialization with other dogs can help too. Just make sure that nothing goes wrong for fear that this might actually worsen him current condition.

- Crate train for now, this will avoid the home destruction in the mean time.

- When you arrive home, don't make your arrival such a big fuss. Ignore Roran for a couple minutes after you arrive, this way you avoid over exciting him.

I think that about covers it... Here are some threads that might contain info you might find useful:

http://www.k9mania.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10589

http://www.k9mania.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9309

http://www.k9mania.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7060

Sites you might find useful:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...n_anxiety.html

http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm

http://www.vetinfo.com/dsepanx.html

Well it's a lot of reading, but times like these call for much research wouldn't you say?

Best of wishes on your training!
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
yorkie
Been Around A While

Thanks so much for the help stephen... i will get right on that right away.
I know u say that to ignore him and i do... but when he is out side its hard to, He sounds like he is dieing and the neighbours complain, ive never heard a dog lash out like this its embarassing ! its nothing short of tourture for me and the neighbours with the sounds that come out of him.
And i am blaiming myself because i know that i have been giving into him alot and i know that has to stop.

thanks again for all the info
Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
Thanks so much for the help stephen... i will get right on that right away.
I know u say that to ignore him and i do... but when he is out side its hard to, He sounds like he is dieing and the neighbours complain, ive never heard a dog lash out like this its embarassing ! its nothing short of tourture for me and the neighbours with the sounds that come out of him.
And i am blaiming myself because i know that i have been giving into him alot and i know that has to stop.

thanks again for all the info
No problem, hope it helps. Do you think that a muzzle will help with the noise? I mean it's a quick fix up until you can teach him the "Quiet" command.
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Labman
Been Around A While

Be very, very careful about what you leave with a dog that shreds stuff. You could well return to a shredded nightgown and a dog that choked to death on part of it. I am appalled at how often I see such dangerous advice. Some dogs should never be left with stuff like that. While I am a big fan of crating dogs, I never leave much in the crate but a Nylabone. With dogs that don't settle into the crate, you might risk a frozen Kong stuffed with peanut butter. Some dogs will destroy Kongs too, but usually it takes long enough that you can discard damaged ones before they become dangerous.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Ehm... I think this thread is a bit old??? And post #8...maybe spam?
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly