Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes » what side dishes do you make for your

Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
gsdmama
Been Around A While

what side dishes do you make for your

thanksgiving dinner. i do the usual. mashed potatoes and gravy, yams, cranberries, green beans but my own recipe. i don't like the one that is advertised on tv. a corn dish that is yum yum that my mother in law makes. stuffing. pilsbury crescent rolls.

my recipes are very simple and non complex. i don't like to make it fancy. i liked the way mom made hers and well it is hard to make it better.

as far as desserts i try to make it different. i am going to make the traditional pumpkin, apple and pecan but i am going to make them into tart size. single bites. and of course roasted nuts and fresh tangerines from the neighbors tree if they are ready.

i save the sees candy for christmas.

i will be glad to share cooking tips and recipes with you.

well i have to go now and clean the baseboards so i can paint them later this afternoon. just painting touch ups that i do before the holidays. it makes the house look clean. tomorrow i will be cleaning the windows inside and the sills and blinds.

Last edited by gsdmama : 11-18-2008 at 03:19 PM.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
hcromley
Been Around A While

well my mom still does thanksgiving so we all go over ther efor the holidays but bring an asian slaw its a big hit so now im asked to bring it every time i go anywhere theres gonna b food
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
Well my mom makes a basic thanksgiving dinner. Turkey, Potatoes (the real stuff not instant) chicken gravy, corn, stuffin', chocolate turkey candy, bread (she always gets the bob evens XD ) and her yams. I dont like yams though XD.

Anyway, while she does that i put the dog show on that comes after the parade and then I make star his dinner! I get his dry dog food put it in a cup and my mom squeezes turkey gravy over it then some chopped up turkey in the food. We mix that up. Then he always gets a little turkey cookie from the dog bakery. I doubt my mom will get one this year though, seeing how the weather is terrible here XD. Then I mix up a batch of his dog treats and add it into his dog food for a meal later on! =]
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
sandyb
Been Around A While

If you have all that yummy food for Thanksgiving what do you have at Christmas???
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

In our family I usually do the main part of the dinner. Turkey, sage stuffing, real mashed potatoes and gravy from the turkey drippings. My neice does candied yams w/ marshmellow topping and great cranberry sauce from scratch. My sister-in-law does a pumpkin, apple and a pecan pie and brings ice cream. My nephew makes green bean casirole and scalloped corn. My brother usually brings brown-n-serve rolls or crescent rolls and a few bottles of wine.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb View Post
If you have all that yummy food for Thanksgiving what do you have at Christmas???
for christmas i do a small turkey, prime rib,stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding,green beans,gravy,cranberries,corn casserole, see's candies, roasted nuts, fresh tangerines, pies, cakes, baklava, fudge.

for new year's eve appetizers and new year's day i do a ham and people bring side dishes.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
CrestieRsq
Site Regular

We have all the traditional goodies too...I am required at just about every family get together (both mine & my boyfriend's) to make a Jello dessert we dubbed Blue Goo....it's grape jello, pineapple, blueberry pie filling with a cream cheese/sour cream topping.
CrestieRsq
Crestie Manor: Pixie, Ricky-Roo (epi boy), Saryn-Dippity, & Sherman
Chi Haven: ChiChi, SammyJo & Daisy Mae too (honorary Cresties)
Xolo Show-Off: Hans Xolo
Newest Family Member: Frankie (the nekkid kitty)
The Ever-Changing Foster Lovebugs
Waiting at the Bridge: My Sweet Angel and The Prettiest Puff Boy in the World: Bandit (07/01/02-07/25/08)
CrestieRsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb View Post
My mom don't cook on Christmas she said its the one day of the year she aint doing anything. So we just eat cookies or whatever food we have lying around from Christmas eve, because that is when my brother & his wife come over and my mom has cheese and chrackers and little things like that. So you end up stuffing yourself on the candy in the stocking anyway XD

Now Easter....We have an international dinner
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

We do it big in our family for both holidays!!

Thanksgiving:
Dinner:
Big turkey, Mashed potatoes and gravy, corn peas and brussel sprouts, rolls w/ butter, green bean casserole (mm, I'm starving thinking of that), cole slaw, broccoli and cheese casserole, and the table usually has a dish of black olives, green olives, and pickles for snacking before dinner.. and cranberry sauce. Sparkling Cider, eggnog, and various sodas for drinking.

Dessert:
Apple, Pumpkin, or Blueberry pie with french vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
Coffee. =]

Christmas Eve:
We throw a little party and have 'Santa' come and make it a fun night..
My mom makes this stuff using those 'Hickory Farms' beefstick stuff, she cooks it up in the hickory farms sweet and sour sauce, and we eat that along with various finger foods like crackers and cheese, small finger sandwiches, 'drunken meatballs' or meatballs with a sauce made from beer..a vegetable tray with dip, and a fruit tray with dip..

Christmas:
A big honey glazed christmas ham with all the same sides as above really, except for cranberry sauce..lol..

My mom usually makes oreo cheesecake for Christmas dessert..
and we all get 'Peppermint Mocha' coffee..lol..

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

For New years we do the finger food stuff again, only usually different kinds, like we'll put out a tray of make your own finger sandwiches, and chips/pretzels and dip, veggies and dip, and my mom makes a chili...then we stay up all night and play poker (and drink) till midnight, and we all have a glass of champagne, share our resolutions, and laugh about the year before.

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes