Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » I feel bad, but we had a nice walk

Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
Labman
Been Around A While

Dogs vary and I am glad you had the courage to try a prong collar. Let's hope is is a step forward to a forever home. I am also very pleased at the lack of vicious flaming here.

Delilah is almost 6 months and her flat collar is too tight now and has no more adjustment in it. I will be moving up to a bigger one. So far, she is heeling well in it. I may not bother with anything more than another flat collar.

Aster was funny. After she retired as a dog guide at 10, I thought surely she wouldn't need anything more than a flat collar. Wrong, she pulled my arm off. Drop her slip collar on her and she walked along with a loose lead with very little or no corrections. Today there are those that flame the use of slip collars. I will not buy into guilt for using it. Abuse is how you use any training aid. You can flip a dog over with a flat collar or gently control it with a prong collar.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 AM   #12
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
As a dog trainer I have to be open to everything. Prong collars are not my first approach but it is important for dog and owner to come to some sort of compromise about training. I am a big believer in everything. There is not just one tool that will work on every dog.
In the 1980's a study was done:
100 dogs
50 with choke collars
50 with prong collars

the collars where used in every training aspect of the dogs life.
After the results when the dogs were inspected after death,
48 of all the choke collar dogs had some sort of minor or major neck damage.
1 of the dogs with the prong collar dogs had damage and it was found to be owner misuse. The prong collar was to big for the dog.
If you need any advise on these collars please contact me. I will help you fit your dog for the collar.
I am not opposed to any method. I own so many dogs that each have there own way. They have taught me, I have not taught them.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dogmom View Post
As a dog trainer I have to be open to everything. Prong collars are not my first approach but it is important for dog and owner to come to some sort of compromise about training. I am a big believer in everything. There is not just one tool that will work on every dog.
In the 1980's a study was done:
100 dogs
50 with choke collars
50 with prong collars

the collars where used in every training aspect of the dogs life.
After the results when the dogs were inspected after death,
48 of all the choke collar dogs had some sort of minor or major neck damage.
1 of the dogs with the prong collar dogs had damage and it was found to be owner misuse. The prong collar was to big for the dog.
If you need any advise on these collars please contact me. I will help you fit your dog for the collar.
I am not opposed to any method. I own so many dogs that each have there own way. They have taught me, I have not taught them.
Wow, you have a link to that study? Curious minds want to read.
Thanks for the offer. I got it down, and Jas is already doing so much better. I can use a regular collar through the house now without her killing my arm. Now she hits the end of the leash and sits! I'm so proud of her! And getting out for walks more is doing wonders for her.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly