Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » Yorkshire Terrier

Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
yorkie_pom_mom
New Around Here

Smile Yorkshire Terrier

Hi all, I have a two year old yorkshire terrier who is my cherished little darling. I have recently adopted/rescued a blind/deaf 13 year-old pomeranian. Piper-the yorkie and Amelia-the pom have not bonded at all. I am begining to think they will not. When I hold them both in my lap, Piper insists on not touching her in anyway. He has never ever been agressive with her, and when he does go up to her he bounces around trying to be noticed. But she can't hear him or see him, so in turn he feels ignored by her. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can help them bond just a little?
yorkie_pom_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
May209
Been Around A While

How long have you had the new one???? It may take some time because you are dealing with a disability that she doesn't understand yet.
May209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
yorkie_pom_mom
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by May209 View Post
How long have you had the new one???? It may take some time because you are dealing with a disability that she doesn't understand yet.
I have had Piper since he was a pup and I have had Amelia for 3 1/2 months. It is a new situation but not brand new. Amelia has been blind for a few years so I was told by the veterinarian but they are not sure if she was deaf at birth or if it was just part of the aging process. Piper seems very confused about being ignored, especially when it is me doing the ignoring. So, I can't imagine how he feels about her blowing his attempts at play off. My husband I adopted her so she could live out her days in a nice comfortable home where her every need would be catered to. I don't expect them to be lifelong pals, but I would like to see Piper comfortable with at least sitting beside her for more than a second.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Suz23
Been Around A While

Ok put a bell on Pipers collar - this way Amelia will know when hes very close and also hear him coming - this will prevent any shocks with him suprising her. While she cant see or hear him she can smell him so will know when hes about - but it will still be hard for her - dogs adjust to each other by seeing what the other is thinking with body language - Amelia cant do this so it will take more time for them to adjust. It could take 6 months to a year for her to settle so give it more time. I wouldnt have both on my lap at the same time for now - its asking for trouble. So make one on one time for both - and make sure they get time apart too.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
yorkie_pom_mom
New Around Here

Thanks for the great ideas, I love the idea about the bell. I think she can hear high pitched noises, I would just like to see them enjoy each other's company.

Lisa
Old 07-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Suz23
Been Around A While

Yep you might have to play around with the sound the bells make - but chances are she can hear certain pitches. Hopefully it will help -good luck and let us know how you get on.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds