Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds » Italian Greyhound Breeders??

Old 10-16-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Unregistered

Italian Greyhound Breeders??

Does anyone know of any Italian greyhound Breeders?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
greyhoundsr4life
New Around Here

Talking Sorry, I wish I did!

Sorry, I wish I did! I would love an Italian Greyhound, they are SOOOO cute! problem is that I already have 4 boisterous dogs and I am frightened that they would break a delicate Italian Grey's legs!
Maybe one day?! xx
greyhoundsr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
pennycantu
Been Around A While

depending on where you live you can go online and search for local breeders. depending on what you want to pay, you can have them shipped or flown to you.
pennycantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
bex
New Around Here

There may be some on breedadog.com. That is where I found my dog!!
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
mbolism
New Around Here

Hi, I'm the president of the IG club here in Michigan!
I have SIX iggies (see pic in the other i.g. thread- there's a pic of them there and lots of info I added).
I've been doing rescue with the IGCA (Italian Greyhound Club of America) for over three years. Here's the link:
http://www.italiangreyhound.org

I would recommend NOT getting an i.g. from a breeder unless they are members of the IGCA and listed on their site. I have THREE years of horror stories from people who got iggies from bad or disreputable breeders. Many of those same i.g.'s have ended up in rescue because of health issues the owners couldn't afford to fix...or the breeder (again, bad ones) sell the dog then never care about anything that happens to it for the rest of their lives
I've spent the last three years also educating people about the right places to get a dog.
You know, also, you can look up the rescue on the IGCA site too, and contact the local rescue rep in your area.
For one thing, breeders (even the bad ones) charge several hundred dollars for an i.g., whereas thru IGCA rescue, the adoption fee is $250. That includes spay/neuter, dental if they need one, and all their shots and HW test if necessary. So basically you're getting a dog who's 'good to go' for less than $300. The other nice things about rescue are that you can specify if you want an i.g. who has a certain temperament, if they need to be kid- or big-dog friendly, etc. While they're in foster care (I'm a foster mom) we work to make sure they're potty trained- either housebroken or litter box trained. Personally, I train all my dogs to do both! Best of both worlds!!!
And yes, we DO get puppies in IG rescue, or pregnant females come in now and then as well.

Anyway, if you go on the IGCA site (link above) you can look on the menu for all kinds of stuff- breed info, rescue info, etc. Let me know if you have any problems or have any other questions. I can also prob. refer you to some good breeders as well. I'm in Michigan, but all the reputable breeders here know breeders all over the country, so I'm sure we can help you find one if you want to go that route. Just don't buy one spur of the moment from anywhere online...I can guarantee you one thing...you don't have any guarantees! You won't necessarily know what you're getting til' you get it, and by then it's too late. There are just so many scammers and bad breeders out there, I hate to see or hear of anyone being taken in by them.
Let me know if you need any more info. I'd be more than happy to help!

p.s. greyhoundsr4life: I also have a siberian husky, a husky malamute mix, and I have a ton of friends who have dobes, standard poodles, you name it, and they have i.g's as well. They do way better than you think they would with big dogs! They're fast, they are great at getting out of the way...In our national i.g. rescue, we've adopted iggies out to homes with pitbulls, german shepards, full size greyhounds... the key is that the larger breed has to NOT have a bad prey drive. If they do, they may think the i.g. is a "bunny" or other small animal (not a dog!) and try to kill it. Sadly, I know people that's happened to as well, and it was tragic. It's not so much about the size of your other dogs, but how their temperament is. Hope that helps!
mbolism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #6
mbolism
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundsr4life View Post
Sorry, I wish I did! I would love an Italian Greyhound, they are SOOOO cute! problem is that I already have 4 boisterous dogs and I am frightened that they would break a delicate Italian Grey's legs!
Maybe one day?! xx
This one's for you! My littlest (7 lbs) iggy, Rusty, laying with my husky-malamute mix ((74 lbs) Brevig.
mbolism is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Dog Breeds