Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » At wits ends with Tigger
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #21
6dogmom
Been Around A While
 
6dogmom's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,617
Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Just take a step back for a while. If you try to get him to follow commands while frustrated he will not listen guaranteed. So when you feel yourself getting to that frustration just stop and take a step back for a while. When you feel more calm try again.
Remember that no matter how many commands our dogs know, training is a life long task. Some days will be great successes and some days will be horrible failures. Just stay calm and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
The last thing you want to do is change your command words. That is what he knows, so stick with it.
Good Luck.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
lavenderlil
Been Around A While

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: u.k
Posts: 179
tiger

Is he not at the last chalenging phase,16-20 + months.? Check for your breed.If he is at this stage just treat him the way you did as a puppy,firm but just.It passes and eventually you end up with a healthy well ajusted adult dog.Never leave your dog for long periods of time as they miss you and become bored and distructive.Some people think they are great dog owners if they take a rescue dog but work long hours and would you really like a pup to have to spend every working day of yours at a dog shelter.
Please spare me the pain.

Lavender Lil
lavenderlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #23
turfgirl
Been Around A While
 
turfgirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlil View Post
Is he not at the last chalenging phase,16-20 + months.? Check for your breed.If he is at this stage just treat him the way you did as a puppy,firm but just.It passes and eventually you end up with a healthy well ajusted adult dog.Never leave your dog for long periods of time as they miss you and become bored and distructive.Some people think they are great dog owners if they take a rescue dog but work long hours and would you really like a pup to have to spend every working day of yours at a dog shelter.
Please spare me the pain.

Lavender Lil
Will someone please explain the last part of this post? I read through the whole thread and cannot for the life of me figure out where working long hours, and the pup in a dog shelter come in. Sorry, just don't get it lol Hugs Susan and Lexcee (as smart as she is she does not get it either)
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
Shara
Been Around A While
 
Shara's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 3,030
Send a message via MSN to Shara
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgirl View Post
Will someone please explain the last part of this post? I read through the whole thread and cannot for the life of me figure out where working long hours, and the pup in a dog shelter come in. Sorry, just don't get it lol Hugs Susan and Lexcee (as smart as she is she does not get it either)
Same, the ending 'spare me the pain' got me

I dont work, since being laid off, and theres no hiring here, so I spend maybe TOO much time with my dogs...lol.

He might be in his last span of the difficult days, but he is fixed, and I have been training him since 6 weeks old. I never really knew there was a difficult age stage 16-20 months, if thats true, I will be so glad when hes 20months old haha.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
ann_hawes
Been Around A While
 
ann_hawes's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kokomo, Indiana USA
Posts: 1,949
I didn't see the post except where you quoted it. lol
Maybe it means that the only people who should own dogs should be independently wealthy?
I don't get the shelter part either.
And I surely don't know what it has to do with Tigger.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #26
turfgirl
Been Around A While
 
turfgirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Thank goodness, I was thinking I was either dumb, old, or just could not read lol. I thought about it later and decided that I think it was just a "dig" and I am so glad that no one took the bait esp Shara. I guess some people just have meaness in their hearts even at this time of year.

Shara I work (way too much lol) and still spend too much time with Lexcee. You are doing a great job with Tigger, who is just going through a tough time right now. Hugs Susan & Lexcee
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #27
6dogmom
Been Around A While
 
6dogmom's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,617
Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Yeah, don't worry about that other post Shara, I sometimes don't have enough time to spend with mine either. But that definitly doesn't mean they belong at a shelter. Tooo many dogs are being given up now. I have also seen tons of strays lately too. It breaks my heart to think that someones opinion would be to just give up your dog.
Where theres a will theres a way.
Tigs will come around, don't worry. Especially males I think like to challenge us owners, but think of it that way, a challenge. Just continue to do what you do and sooner hopefully not later he will respond.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #28
Momto3
Been Around A While
 
Momto3's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dogmom View Post
Yeah, don't worry about that other post Shara, I sometimes don't have enough time to spend with mine either. But that definitly doesn't mean they belong at a shelter. Tooo many dogs are being given up now. I have also seen tons of strays lately too. It breaks my heart to think that someones opinion would be to just give up your dog.
Where theres a will theres a way.
Tigs will come around, don't worry. Especially males I think like to challenge us owners, but think of it that way, a challenge. Just continue to do what you do and sooner hopefully not later he will respond.
Ditto from me! The only thing is I did have a neighbor who had a boxer who told me they get the juvenile nasties around 18 months unless neutered but then you don't have a boxer... With my cockers I have near total recall on the ones who can hear. But they all have their moments when they just cannot be bothered with anything I say unless it's something like SUPPER!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
Weesha1717
Been Around A While
 
Weesha1717's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,471
Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgirl View Post
Any ideas of how to get Lexcee to allow me to put drops in her ears. She has a mild yeast infection and does not want to come near me when she sees the drops. I have tried treats and she learned very quickly the treat is not worth it and I try to hold her in my lap but she just wriggels her way out. I sometimes have to wait for someone else to be her to hold her while I put the drops in, but that is difficult if they have to be put in 3 times a day lol. any ideas would be appreciated. Hugs Susan and Lexcee well I am not letting her read this so that she cannot get any ideas of how to avoid the drops lol

I am putting drops in Spunkys ear also, he has a yeast infection to. I put the two drops in and hold down his ear (kinda flap it over). Let it drip in fo a couple seconds, then when he does shake his head it spreads across the entire ear = ) They are no fun =(

*Everytime he gets drops in his ears he gets a treat, so he assosicates the drops to treat after..that worked for us =)
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #30
turfgirl
Been Around A While
 
turfgirl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,907
Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weesha1717 View Post
I am putting drops in Spunkys ear also, he has a yeast infection to. I put the two drops in and hold down his ear (kinda flap it over). Let it drip in fo a couple seconds, then when he does shake his head it spreads across the entire ear = ) They are no fun =(

*Everytime he gets drops in his ears he gets a treat, so he assosicates the drops to treat after..that worked for us =)
I have tried that again for the last few days and plus I have been more firm with her sitting in my lap facing forward and it has gotten a little easier. Do you know how long it takes for the infection to clear? None of my dogs have ever had this before lol. Hugs Susan & Lexcee
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.