Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » At wits ends with Tigger

Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
At wits ends with Tigger

I am getting beyond frustrated with Tigger. Today I had him in my room (a rare treat, he usually bounces on my bed lays down and almost "hugs the bed" hes so happy to be there) well I get in bed to use my lap top, and he jumps down, which is rare, so I call him to come.

He does the bloody 'Im gonna ignore you now' body posture. So I told him, get up here now, he knows "get up there" means to get up on anything I point to, be it a pause box for agility, sit up box for obedience, or get in the couch, bed...ect...

Again he did the 'screw you' look.

I do not know what to do. I really am fed up with him. Scale 1 to 10 im at a 20 with frustration. Hes 1 1/2 years old and I have been working him since he was a puppy. He knows too many things, tricks, ect...and then for him to fail so bad at recalls.

Should I change the word ? Has he associated come with "crap its end of play time" or something?

One of my friends say to get rid of him, thats just not an option. Thats how frustrated I am with him. A dog that hates to come to you. What good is that.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Sorry, there are people on here who know more than me that is for sure, but I do know that you should not give up on him yet. Maybe he is going through a phase or maybe there is a disruption in the routine in the household that is upsetting him. You know he has the capabilities to do everything you want so there must be something bothering him. I know you are patient, but just give him a little more an just keep loving him. Hugs Susan & Lexcee
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Sometimes I get a dog that will go as fast as possible in the other direction when I say the word "come". I do change the word, sometimes to "here!" , "cookie?" or whatever will work with that particular dog. The problem seems to happen when they begin to associate the word with something negative, even if it was someone telling the dog "come", meaning the romp is over, we're going home. Maybe a trainer here will have a better idea.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Sometimes I get a dog that will go as fast as possible in the other direction when I say the word "come". I do change the word, sometimes to "here!" , "cookie?" or whatever will work with that particular dog. The problem seems to happen when they begin to associate the word with something negative, even if it was someone telling the dog "come", meaning the romp is over, we're going home. Maybe a trainer here will have a better idea.
I think this is right, I think Come has become a negative thing for him, same with Shara and "stand" because my trainer heavily corrected her on it, changed it to 'pop up' and she has nailed stand for exam ever since.

I definatly think you are right.
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfgirl View Post
Sorry, there are people on here who know more than me that is for sure, but I do know that you should not give up on him yet. Maybe he is going through a phase or maybe there is a disruption in the routine in the household that is upsetting him. You know he has the capabilities to do everything you want so there must be something bothering him. I know you are patient, but just give him a little more an just keep loving him. Hugs Susan & Lexcee

Thank you Susan.

I really hit a brick wall mentally with Tig today. I still have to remember he is still young as well. Thank you for your words of encoragment and being so positive to us. <3
~Meredith
Old 12-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Changing the word is a good idea, but you also need to change the result. By this I mean this: the word must become a something that means GOOD things ONLY. When I use the word COME, the only thing that EVER happens is: The dogs get a treat, or they get lovin' ... The same thing with their name too!

Think about it this way: If I call you over to me, and 3 of 5 times I slap your face ... how many times do you think it would take before you realize that coming over to me was a bad thing? On the other hand, if you came over, and I gave you a $100 bill everytime, you would probably be asking me if there is anything you could bring with you!!!

From the posted in the past few weeks, I really suggest that you start over and re-invent your relationship with Tigger. For this weekend, dont put ANY demands on him and just hang out together. Play and have fun. Show Tig that you want to be buddies. Then begin to ask for behaivors and just reward for proper behavior.

If you remove the stress, he will relax. I really think it will help.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
Thank you Susan.

I really hit a brick wall mentally with Tig today. I still have to remember he is still young as well. Thank you for your words of encoragment and being so positive to us. <3
Hey kiddo, that is what we are here for. You guys were there for me, I just wish I could help more but I like Michael's suggestion it really makes sense. I am going to try it on Lexcee. Sometimes she does what Tigger does just looks at me like "SCREW YOU MOM".

There for you anytime I may not be an expert but can be there to help boost your spirits. Hugs Susan and yes the very stubborn Lexcee
Old 12-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
... but I like Michael's suggestion it really makes sense. I am going to try it on Lexcee. Sometimes she does what Tigger does just looks at me like "SCREW YOU MOM".
I've done this with Patchs 2 or 3 times in the past few months. It's like giving them a day off work. Sometimes you get further by not trying to move forward ...
- Michael -

Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDog4U View Post
I've done this with Patchs 2 or 3 times in the past few months. It's like giving them a day off work. Sometimes you get further by not trying to move forward ...
Any ideas of how to get Lexcee to allow me to put drops in her ears. She has a mild yeast infection and does not want to come near me when she sees the drops. I have tried treats and she learned very quickly the treat is not worth it and I try to hold her in my lap but she just wriggels her way out. I sometimes have to wait for someone else to be her to hold her while I put the drops in, but that is difficult if they have to be put in 3 times a day lol. any ideas would be appreciated. Hugs Susan and Lexcee well I am not letting her read this so that she cannot get any ideas of how to avoid the drops lol
Old 12-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Any ideas of how to get Lexcee to allow me to put drops in her ears. She has a mild yeast infection and does not want to come near me when she sees the drops. I have tried treats and she learned very quickly the treat is not worth it and I try to hold her in my lap but she just wriggels her way out. I sometimes have to wait for someone else to be her to hold her while I put the drops in, but that is difficult if they have to be put in 3 times a day lol. any ideas would be appreciated. Hugs Susan and Lexcee well I am not letting her read this so that she cannot get any ideas of how to avoid the drops lol
Have you tried to use an eyedropper instead of the bottle? The only other thing that imeadatly comes to mind is to put her on her side, give her a nice relaxing massage and then give the drops.
- Michael -

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly