Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Newly adopted f GSD signs of agression....HELP!!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
cbuttel
New Around Here

Lightbulb Newly adopted f GSD signs of agression....HELP!!

Brought a humane society dog home last Friday-She had been recently spayed and was found eating from a dumpster---She was gr8 with me for over an hour so I brought her home!! Sunday,(yesterday) She attacked one of our otr adoptees, visciously---She is new to the house, but we cant have this kind of behavior---I am afraid what She would do, unsupervised!!! Is tis typical behavior??? What should I do??? She goes back tmw for heartworm treatment for 3 days and then back with us---She is only 2 yrs old and a beautiful GSD,,, I have had 4 otr GSDs over the past 20 yrs and none ever displayed temperment like this!!!! Please help with your advice!!!

Thank You,,

Chuck
cbuttel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

If she is physcally fine, it is most likely fear based. It is pretty common for a new dog entering into a strange home to become fearful.

My first suggestion is the NEVER leave her in a room unsupervised. And for a few weeks, I personally wouldn't even allow her off leash around the other dogs.

Secondly, I would advise that you seek some professional help to determine her exact state of discomfort. After spending some time, this professional should be able to give you some in site and some possible suggestions and also a course of action to cure it.

In the mean time, do everything you can to make her feel welcome and work on building her trust, respect and confidence in You and the other humans in the home. This may take some time. Ive sean it take weeks or even months.

All humans in the home MUST spend as much time as possible doing things like long walks, just hanging out and a lot of play times. Also, short, positive basic training sessions with lots of praise and rewards will also help a lot. Avoid correction and focus on only positive reinforcement.

Once you have built a mutual trust and respect with her, she will trust you to socialize her with the other dogs. When doing so, introuduce the most calm dog first and so on. Then start putting them together 1 or 2 at a time until you get them all together. BUT, remember, dogs are just like ppl. Some of them JUST dont like each other. In this case, they may never get along. Be prepared to rehome one if needed!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
cbuttel
New Around Here

tyvm---very insightful--Kinda what I wanted to hear!!!

Regards,

Chuck
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

Congratulations on the newby. Totally agree with Michael. My last one came into my home joining 4 others and he got pretty aggressive with them too. I used NILIF (nothing in life is free) with him and he's doing waaaay better. Took months but he's worth it!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
cbuttel
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
Congratulations on the newby. Totally agree with Michael. My last one came into my home joining 4 others and he got pretty aggressive with them too. I used NILIF (nothing in life is free) with him and he's doing waaaay better. Took months but he's worth it!
What is NILIF???
Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuttel View Post
What is NILIF???
Nothing In Life is Free. Basically they have to earn rights. Like sitting for supper, asking permission to come into your bed or on the furniture. I'm sure there's some web-based info on it as someone sent it to me before and I followed it pretty closely with Merlin and Maxwell before him. They both had extreme aggression issues with the pooches already in the house. Max was sooo aggressive towards other animals I always had to get first appointment at the vets until I used the program on him. He still had lip curls in the waiting room but he would not progress from between my feet without permission. http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm There ya go! It doesn't look like the same thing sent to me but you get the idea.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

A couple of thoughts...
She really hasn't had time to figure out what is expected of her.
When you say a violent attack, do you mean there was torn flesh on the other dog? Multiple puncture wounds? More than just ferocious noise? Just asking because sometimes what humans perceive as violent is nothing more than trash talk between dogs.
Is the other dog involved male or female? Small, large, same size?
Could the other dog have displayed aggressive behaviour that you just didn't see? And could she be resource guarding, with a human being the resource?
Guess that was more than a couple.

I would watch them carefully, but unless there's actual bloodshed or she has a really strong advantage over the other dog, I wouldn't interfere. If it continues or escalates, keep them separated until you can get a trainer involved.
Sounds like you have a good amount of experience with dogs, so use your experience and instincts too. It's really hard to know when you can only read about it.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I agree with Anne, a lot of the nasty sounds coming from the dogs is sound and fury meaning nothing although I like the term 'trash talk' LOL. It will take a while for all the dogs, new and old alike to reorganize themselves as far as who is who in the pecking order. New dogs will sometimes give off 'attitude' and the old dogs will either accept it or say in their own special way "not in my house buster". Either way just make sure it doesn't escalate into a real bloodlust fight and ensure that the new dog knows that you are the one that everyone, even Mr. Newbie, HAS to obey.

And yes, sometimes dogs just don't get along and rehoming may be necessary if the problems persist.

Good luck,
Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

When I brought Lucky home from right off the street,literaly, she was somewhat like that. But I could tell it was just fear. By the next couple of days she had settled down into the routine with Wrangler, Coors and Thumper and all has been well since. Give it some time. Give her a chance to settle in.
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly