Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Will Work For F.A.I.L

Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Will Work For F.A.I.L

Ok so like 4 days till competition and Shara is failing big time, simply because there is a diff person in the ring than shes used to playing judge. She totally fails, seriously...I do not even want to go this weekend. I know going in she is going to do something epic ...epic failing that is.

She cant even consentrate to do a proper front or finish. When she haults on heelwork she goes and sits infront of me. Its like she is a puppy all over again and never been on a leash...

It is TERRIBLE

I am just lost for words...my trainer wants me to go anyways, and FAIL just so we know what to work on...UMMMMMMM TOO LATE FOR THAT...

Seriously. I am just so pissed. Not at Shara...I dont know what at ...all this work and its just

Geeze.

I never been so upset.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
Lola_Joy
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Lola_Joy Send a message via Yahoo to Lola_Joy
Do it for fun!

Isn't that the biggest joy in competing? Is the joy of the sport?

You have to have faith in your dog, rule #1.
SO, go out there and have a blast. ;3
Lola_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

I have spent too much time AND money to just go "have fun"? Yes thats what everyone has told me, but its not fun to spend all this time and effort for it all to fail...

I know what you are saying, girl, but...I am just upset that this is not going the way I thought it would...after all this work.
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Lola_Joy
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Lola_Joy Send a message via Yahoo to Lola_Joy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
I have spent too much time AND money to just go "have fun"? Yes thats what everyone has told me, but its not fun to spend all this time and effort for it all to fail...

I know what you are saying, girl, but...I am just upset that this is not going the way I thought it would...after all this work.

"...simply because there is a diff person in the ring than shes used to playing judge."

What do you mean by this?
Lola_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
One of the things you learn quickly in dog shows Shara is that you can't win every time. My first experience in the conformation ring with Bo we didn't get *anything* as wins or points are concerned, but we gained a ton of experience. I just tried to go out there and make it a positive experience for him and over time he learned what was expected from him. After a couple weekends of him being silly and nervous, he relaxed and was absolutely excellent.

Something that most experienced dog show people will tell you, in any sport, is that the first few shows off are a write off as far as winning or even qualifying goes. Most dogs and handlers are nervous and end up chalking up the first shows as experience. Just try to remain positive for Shara's sake and it will all come with time.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola_Joy View Post
"...simply because there is a diff person in the ring than shes used to playing judge."

What do you mean by this?

Ah, what I ment is someone else in the ring besides my trainer playing the judge roll, she desides to go ape-sht...LOL...I mean she litterally ran to him, and started jumping up and down on his legs, and when I went to go get her she would swing around his legs avoiding me...she was offleash heeling sooo...0% controll!
~Meredith
Old 07-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
Shara
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelGrl View Post
One of the things you learn quickly in dog shows Shara is that you can't win every time. My first experience in the conformation ring with Bo we didn't get *anything* as wins or points are concerned, but we gained a ton of experience. I just tried to go out there and make it a positive experience for him and over time he learned what was expected from him. After a couple weekends of him being silly and nervous, he relaxed and was absolutely excellent.

Something that most experienced dog show people will tell you, in any sport, is that the first few shows off are a write off as far as winning or even qualifying goes. Most dogs and handlers are nervous and end up chalking up the first shows as experience. Just try to remain positive for Shara's sake and it will all come with time.

I know what you mean...I just am so scared of embarassing myself...and all this effort for nothing...I am so stressed out too...ever since I sent in the papers for the show...and this is before I found out she flipps out when a new person is in the ring as the judge...and now this has just totally rocked her world to no end...its a major draw back, I cant belive we never noticed or practiced with other people before...=\

You are right though I should try and be positive...I cant wait for this weekend to be over though haha.
~Meredith
Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

You need to relax. The more upset you are, the more Shara will notice.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

How about trying it with different people for these 4 days? See if your trainer has some friends that would be willing to help out. I know 4 days may not be enough, but it might be just the edge she needs to get more used to it. It's crunch-time, you know? Work on her extra hard these 4 days and see if you can get anything to change, even if it's just one thing..and remember Shara is feeding off of your energy, so try to be as positive as possible. Take this first competition as a learning experience, so you can fix all the booboos for next time! Everything will be ok!

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I agree with the other posters that you need to relax and see the competition as a learning experience. The dog is possibly picking up on your stress and reacting in weird ways maybe ways that are intended to eliviate your stress. How does the dog know that you are further stressed by his antics? And may I gently and respectfully suggest that you take your ego out of the equation. I know you worked hard, spent lots of money and time and perhaps have a reasonable expectation of results but by focusing on the goal so much and being fearful that you will be embarassed only makes the situation worse.

I knew a guy who had raised champion field trial labs who fumed and fussed that his young lab, whom he had devoted lots of time, money and effort into, became 'stupid' during the trial and wouldn't retrieve a thing. His brother who was also a competitor and had raised as many champions took the same dog later in the week and laughed off the pups booboos where by the end of the competition the dog had relaxed and was performing much better. Yes, he lost out on the awards but the next time he was in competition the first brother relaxed and they did much better.

Like the others have suggested, continue to practise and use the competition as a learning experience for both of you.

Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly