Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Excitable Doxie Peeing in Obedience Trial Training

Old 06-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Excitable Doxie Peeing in Obedience Trial Training

Anyone know how to fix this? Shara keeps flipping over on her stand for exam on the first try and pees. The second time a person pats her down she does fine, but the first time she always flips and pees.

Anyone know of ANYTHING to help this? Since she only has 1 shot not 2 to land her stand for exam.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Labman
Been Around A While

Like many other problems, obedience training it a good start. As you praise the dog for following your commands, it will build its confidence.

Play tug of war with the dog and lose. However at the end of the game, take the rope or toy and put it up, less the dog becomes confused about who is top dog. Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Finally, make sure it has a den to live in. If you are not using a crate, buy one. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

I have also found letting the dog relieve itself ahead of time helps too.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Thank you, but ummm dont know if you understand my problem.

Doxies are prone to flipping and peeing, a breed thing...She is highly trained and ready for obedience trials, just her stand for exam is really lacking, and has been for months.

Its an excitement pee responce, not lack of confidence I am thinking.

It doesnt matter if she pottys before going in, she is so excited to meet or see someone new come pet her she flips and pees in submission/excitement. She will squeeze it out, regardless of potty before.

When she goes into the ring, she only has 1 chance to do the stand for exam, but she flips and pees...second time by the same person, she 'knows' that person and she wont do it. We have been working this problem for months and no fix...was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this specific problem in doxies.
~Meredith
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 06-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

We have tried everything from putting a carbord block under her so when she moves, her belly hits it and corrects her.

Remove it and walk in the ring, do stand for exam, flip and pee.

Its so irritating and embarassing.

BLAH!
~Meredith
Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Momto3
Been Around A While

Would it be possible for her to meet the judges before going into the ring? I've never done a show thing before so please excuse if that's a stupid question! I can see where it would be embarrassing...
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

it's submissive behavior and would be considered a serious fault in a show ring.
You could try distracting her a moment before and during.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Practise with friends that haven't met her using them as replacement judges. The more frequently you practise the more used to the process she becomes and less exciteable she will be = less peeing. Do not react to the peeing in any way, in fact stand her up again and go through the proper position repeatedly ignoring the peeing. She will eventually 'get it' that the peeing isn't getting her any reaction and is just causing her to have to repeat the process over and over again. Don't let the replacement judges comment or touch her unless or until she is standing in the proper position. As soon as she starts to roll over, step in, correct her position, command that she stay and repeat. You will have to reward her in a quiet, not exciteable way too so that she doesn't anticipate the praise and start to pee in anticipated excitement.

Hope that makes sense.

Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
k9mania
Administrator

I agree with both Ann and Furbilator. You need to practice the actual act with people she does not know. Many people do this to get their dogs to relax when being measured for height in flyball and agility. Practice makes perfect under similar conditions. No reaction for peeing.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
Shara
Been Around A While

We had a mock obedience trial today, and Shara did GREAT! She even got applause and cheers from the class members and my teacher who shouted "WOOHOOO GOOD JOB" at the end of the whole exercise.

It has taken a lot of work to get her to not flip and pee on the stand for exam...Something I will have to CONSTANTLY train for because it is her weakness.

She did lag behind a TID bit on the off leash heel work but I am going to be working Shara till the trial in July to get her really good. I have been splitting a lot of time with Tigger...It is hard to train two dogs at the same time...esp two very diffrent breeds.

Thank you for all the advice it has been working!
~Meredith
Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Good job! I can't imagine getting either of my weiners to do anything around ppl. Max is scared, and Brigit wants to be best friends with everyone. you should be proud of yourself as well as your pups
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly