Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Peeing on his owner!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Howler
Been Around A While

Peeing on his owner!!!

I was walking Charlie today and stopped to talk to this guy who has the most gorgeous malamute I have ever seen, he is huge with all these lovely markings around his eyes and the thickest coat ever.

Anyway we got to talking whilst charlie was doing his 'im a nice dog here is my belly routine' to Zeke (the malamute) and the guy was saying he was havong a few problems with him and that he was thinking h would have to get rid of him.

After a few minutes of me being very nosy and asking questions it turns out that Zeke keps jumping onto the sofa and peeing on his owner! I have never heard of a dog doing this before and couldnt think what it could be, the only reasons I could think of are a severe lack of respect from the dogs side or the fact that he really doesnt like the way the guy smells.

Background info on Zeke, he is about 18 months and has been fixed, the guy has had him from a pup and he seems well behaved on the lead and was very calm while my boy was doing his whole submissive routine. He is apparently completely toilet trained but he keeps doing the peeing thing. His owner says that he sometimes does it on the sofa when no one is sat on it but that he has now peed on him 4 times. And it wasnt in any way 'accidental'.

Does anyone have any ideas? The guy gave me his number so that I could let him know if I found anything out, but also so we can walk our pooches together sometime. I am a complete loss as to why he is doing it or how to stop it.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Hiking legs and marking is a sign of dominance. They are saying "THIS IS MINE" He shouldnt be allowed up on the sofa to begin with. If anything he can have his own bed or something close to the sofa, where the owner needs to teach him that that is his place to go. Marking is never because "they dont like the smell of something"

Malamutes are in general a very head heavy breed to my understanding. He needs to take measures to gain controll of him. People do not always understand that certain body postures and movements are a sign of dominance. Peeing/Marking is the up most top of the list sign of pure dominance. He might be 'sweet' and 'nice' but he thinks he is in controll.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
It strange because if it isn't accidental (e.g. he is actually rising his leg) then it means that he is marking....but he's been neutered... Although sometime the operation doesn't necessarily stop the undesired behaviors.

I would suggest that he be a bit more strict with his pooch. Not dominating or mean, simply that he has to lay sound ground rules and abide by them no matter how hard. A good start is the Nothing In Life Is Free program. Following those guidelines may help to a degree.

That pooch needs some more mental stimulation too, being a working breed he needs to have a job around the house, not only does this keep his mind busy and tire him out, but it will also reinforce the idea that the owner is the head of the family.

My last piece of advice is that this problem could occur if the owner comes home smelling like other dogs, of after having been around other dogs. This of course would mean that the Malamute is indeed marking but doing so to cover the scent of the other dogs.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

I like your answer Steven! One thing I might add is that I've noticed that just cause you have the snipping done doesn't mean an instant stop to the marking. All my boyz being rescues, they were snipped before I could bring them home and I'm finding that it can take up to a year for them to stop the marking thing. Prime example is Mozie whom I adopted in January of lasr year. He was just recently snipped prior to adoption and has only within the past few months stopped "annointing" my bedspread! Does it really take so long to get their hormones balanced out?! Monte spent well over a year in various forms of rescue so he was snipped way before I brought him home and he has never marked nor has Charlie. Go figure!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Brutus
New Around Here

Brutus just got "snipped" last Wed, and before that he had one incident. I pulled out my sofa bed in the living room ( I have a bedroom but use it as a office/storage space) and I put nice clean sheets & a comforter on, and sit down, and what does Brutus do? He jumped up & peed all over the bed. He doesn't lift his leg, but still he squatted and peed like it was ok & then jumped down & went on his bed. He is fully trained, not to go outside but on puppy pads because that is what my Toy Poodle uses and we had her before we got him so he got use to those. So Im not sure why he did it that day, but he hasnt done it since then... Hopefully he can get him out of the habit. We bought Brutus a 2nd hand love seat & he is allowed on that only. Maybe if the guy gave him his own piece of furniture he would stay off of his?
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Howler
Been Around A While

Hi Guys

thanks for all the feedback, I am meeting Ian and Zeke today, we are going to take all 3 boys down the woods and see if Charlie will go in the river so I will let him know what you all think. Lets hope he can get it fixed quick! I cant think of anything worse than beeing peed on by your own dog...

Howler and her yellow eyed monster
Old 05-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Labman
Been Around A While

Shara is right, the dog is letting the owner know who is in charge. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
snazyminis
Been Around A While

Make sure he has cleaned the sofa to get rid of any smell that is drawing the dog back to mark on that place.
snazyminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
snazyminis
Been Around A While

Marking like this can also be a sign of stress and the dog needing his familar scent around him.

My import male used to pee on the sofa if given the chance, but after a few weeks he had settled in well enough to stop doing it.
snazyminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Howler
Been Around A While

thanks for the advice, i only met this guy for the first time yesterday and all ready i have a long list of stuff he is going to have to change lol. Ive never had problems like this so i couldnt give him any advice.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly