Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Help!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Help!

Ok I have a customer who has two poodles. One Standard Female Spayed. and one Mini Male going to be neutered next tuesday I believe. Well she brought them to me two to three days ago and since she picked them up Buttons the male puppy has been mounting and trying things with the female non stop and is getting very vocal with the family when he his stopped/kenneled/restrained. They thought he had something wrong with him and took him to the vet and the vet said that maybe something happend while they were groomed that clued him into the opposite sex for the first time like a female in heat or something but there were non and I haven't seen any in my shop for a long time... He has been put on sedatives until he gets neutered next week because he is sooooo stressed! I feel bad but I don't know what to tell the owner...

You guys heard of this before? A dog suddenly going berzerk about the other sex?
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

IMHO, I think it's just coincdence that it happened after a visit to you. It may very well be a hot female in THIER neigborhood that triggered it. Or maybe someone walked by thier house with an "inheat" female.

Just a thought, as I have never had this happen to me or one of my dogs.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
cockermom93
Been Around A While

I think it has to be a coincidence... there is just really nothing at my house that would prevoke a dog to start acting that way... I dunno but at least he is getting neutered and I hope that helps... he is only like 7-8months old I think so hopefully he won't stay that way from just doing it for a few days now.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
I agree with Michael, it could well be a "hot" female, but who is to say where it could be. It is not like you have the only dogs in the area. Don't worry it is not your fault, you are a great groomer and you handle them so well. The vet could be just grasping at straws so just keep smiling and preparing to come here and groom Lexcee, she will be ready to do again in about 4 weeks or so. Don't forget lol. Hugs Susan & Lexcee
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
cockermom93
Been Around A While

LOL I already have my bags packed... by the way I am bringing my mom and family too so we can become Canadians so we can pay more taxes for some awesome healthcare! LOL

Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Hey anytime, I will give up my bedroom for you and if you bring a nice tent you can all live on the roof top for the spring and summer. I might even put you all to work lol. Just keep Lexcee nice and trimmed lol. Hugs Susan and the anxious Lexcee
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
boy vets can be thick some times, when a bitch gets spayed their hormones get throne into turmoil and can indicate to a male that she is in season the same things happen when they throw a phantom pregnancy, it sounds to me the male puppy is just maturing and has senced the hormonal change and scent of the female and is reacting as if she has come into season, all my males used to howl and carry on when the girls came into season and they did the same when Lyka was spayed. I suggest dont panick or feel bad and may be the vet should of thought about this before scaring the owners half to death.
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Thanks dobes, I wondered if there was a similur smell/scent there! That clears alot up! Thanks alot.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobetaztic View Post
boy vets can be thick some times, when a bitch gets spayed their hormones get throne into turmoil and can indicate to a male that she is in season the same things happen when they throw a phantom pregnancy, it sounds to me the male puppy is just maturing and has senced the hormonal change and scent of the female and is reacting as if she has come into season, all my males used to howl and carry on when the girls came into season and they did the same when Lyka was spayed. I suggest dont panick or feel bad and may be the vet should of thought about this before scaring the owners half to death.
That definitely makes sence. But like you said CM, he's getting neutered so the problem should slowly dissapate
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly