Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Unleashing dogs in public..

Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Question Unleashing dogs in public..

I truly would like to know what goes thru peeps minds when they unleash their dog in public. I had a dog 15 yrs and can recall only twice my dog accidentally came off her leash, both times stopping my heart in fear.

i jog in a park and occasionally have been charged by unleashed dogs. They have never bitten me cause i come to a complete stop and motionless. To those that don't know that trick usually get bitten and then you got problems..

When i jog it is usually to relieve stress and sometimes while running i can have angry thoughts in my mind. If i see an unleashed dog i have to clear out my head fast. Dogs have a sixth sense that can pick up that negative energy from someone and perceive it as a threat to their master who i might be approaching rapidly.

So i would like to understand from some of you, who probably unleash their dog, why they do it. I'm sure you believe in good reasons. I want to start a debate that might change some opinions of some dog owners that i might save a few pets who get lost forever or get into regrettable trouble, Thanks..
doc2boc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
My dogs never get unleasehed in Public. I would never want them to take off forever or get hit by a car Also, I know that many people do not appreciate a run away dog jumping on them. I sure don't appreciate a dog jumping on me or frigtining my dogs. I can't wait till I go on my vacation this summer, to Florida where they have unleashed Beaches, where it is allowed in a secure area.
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
mommieofmany
Site Regular

Unhappy

My dogs are never off-leash in public, allthough they are VERY obedient, you never know what is going to happen!! We go to the park, petsmart, EVERYWHERE, and I myself have never had any problems with off-leash pets, BUT, I have large dogs. So as far as other dogs attacking mine, they would be more hessitant, I would think. LOL
mommieofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

The only time my dog is off leash is when he's "helping" me get the mail, or bring in the trash cans. SOmetimes I'll let him off leash for the last 2 houses or so on our night walks, when no one else is outside, and there aren't any squirrels for him to chase. But never where there are people or cars, that's entirely too dangerous.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Lightbulb

^^^^^^what does everyone think of this pet owner?
Are they playing it safe??

Off topic. How come squirrels always sleep at nite?
What about cats.

I jog early in the morning before dawn. I think I come across peeps like you. An when the dog comes after me, I just stop.
Case closed.
Funny they always say something like, its alright, its ok, he's friendly..

I really can forgive it but I dont get mad and I just look at them with a stern face and say sumtin like..

are you sure its ok? for who?
suppose I'm not friendly?

Never saw them again at that time..

one old lady always showed up and didnt learn or care.
she'd say to me, oh go run someplace else>>peeps

Last edited by doc2boc : 04-10-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Suz23
Been Around A While

Depends what you mean by 'in public' here thatcan mean in a park where we are most certainly allowed to unleash our dogs, on the beach etc etc

My dog is often unleashed in what I would class as public places. Safe places, I dont let her off walking along a road. But I could she wouldnt break a recal or a heel close cue.

I have no issuses letting her off in public places shes well trained and well cued and would NEVER launch herself at a jogger, a dog, a child etc etc - she knows better she would look to ask first and respond depending on the given cue - none of which would ever be 'go chase the jogger'

So no I have no problem with dogs being off leash in public places - if they are well trained. But lets be honest and untrained dog is a menace in any pleace leashed or not.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Thumbs up

Sounds like a great dog and good owner

There was this pro dog trainer always in the park walking her two sheppards. These dogs marched together in order. Told her once she should wear a shirt that said she was a trainer. She was losing great advertising.

The point is stupid people (or not animal smarts) see a dog off a leash and they assume an automatic that their little poochie is as good as yours. Of course they are but come on.

Maybe you could put a little shirt on your dog that says- Mommy trained me well.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Smile

I don't think I would even unleash mine in a dog park. You never know what any dog including your own may do. Dog instincts kick in and with big groups running together anything could happen.
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Suz23
Been Around A While

Haha im lucky - for my dog best place to be is round MY feet. She never goes far. I have known her desperate to go play to the point shes whimpering she WILL NOT make a move towards them unless allowed- I wouldnt have her off lead if I didnt think I had her under control.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Exclamation

I use to use a 15 foot retractable leash for my dog. That was the amount of free room given to her. A leash is a guarentee,not luck that something will not go wrong. Wouldn't chance something, really cared about, to luck..

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory