Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Thinking of Changing Food....

Old 12-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Faith
Site Regular

Thinking of Changing Food....

Hey everyone. Just a question to those of you who feed your dog Orijen. Right now I feed my guys Eagle Pack Holistic but I was thinking of switching to Orijen Senior. I was told that the high protein can be dangerous to old dogs especially if their kidneys aren't 100%. I've had blood work done on all 7 dogs, and their kidneys are good. So to all you people who feed Orijen.... are your dogs doing good on it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

My Goof Troop

http://www.k9mania.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14119
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Orijen Senior:
Protein 42.0% (min.)
Carbohydrate 18.0% (max.)
Fat 14.0% (min.)
Moisture 10.0% (max.)
Fiber 3.5% (max.)
Calcium 1.5% (min.)
Phosphorus 1.1% (min.)
Omega-6 1.5% (min.)
Omega-3 0.7% (min.)
Glucosamine 800 mg/kg (min.)
Chondroitin 150 mg/kg (min

I think it is very high in protine..And I was reading reviews on it, they have changed their formula and added more protine. I also read it gave many dogs 'the runs' and a few people said their dogs loved it.

Core Wellness Reduced Fat:
Crude Protein min. 33%
Crude Fat min. 9%
Crude Fat max. 10%
Crude Fiber max. 8.5%
Moisture max. 10%
Calcium max. 1.9%
Phosphorus max. 1.3%
Carbohydrates 35.52%

Less protine, more carbs in this. I think this is better choice. Or see below: Wellness Core Super 5 mix...

I looked up Canidae Senior Platinum, one of my 'top dog food list is Canidae' (i change out my dog food every 2-3 months so I try a lot of diff dog foods...) But their senior formula is VERY high in grains.

Wellness is another good one, Super 5 Healthy Weight:
Crude Protein Not Less Than 17.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 6.0%
Crude Fat Not More Than 10.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 8.0%
Moisture Not More Than 11.0%
Calcium Not Less Than 1.00%
Phosphorus Not Less Than 0.85%
Vitamin E Not Less Than 400 IU/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 2.30%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 0.40%
Glucosamine Hydrochloride* Not Less Than 400 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate* Not Less Than 300 mg/kg
Beta-Carotene* Not Less Than 5 mg/kg
Lycopene* Not Less Than 0.25 mg/kg
Taurine* Not Less Than 0.09%
Carbohydrates 49.4%

From what I have read, its not the amount of protine, its the type. Chicken and Turkey are easier to digest than red meats. Also going for more carbohydrates will make your dogs more hyper because it is a fuel that burns fast and strong, vs slower 'burning' fuels such as beef and oatmeal.

Have you ever tried making homemade meals? I do this now, I go to the store and buy 4 chicken breasts for 3 bucks, a box of brown rice, oatmeal, cans of veggies when they are on sale 3 for $1 and stock up. I give them 50/50 homemade food and dry food. For senior dogs, this will soften the food up and provide great nutrition, and is gentel on theit stomach. I also bought some whole turkeys for 6 bucks, and froze them and are cooking those...when you are paying 3-4 bucks a pound for commercial food, you can actually safe a lot of money making half and half commercial and homemade.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Faith
Site Regular

Thank you so much Shara. I have tried the Wellness Senior, and they just didn't seem to like it to much. I do home cook also, and it's pretty close to what you make too. I just like to change it up for them, I think they probably get pretty sick and tired of eating the same thing all the time. I know I sure would.

Thanks so much again for your advice.

My Goof Troop

http://www.k9mania.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14119
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
Thank you so much Shara. I have tried the Wellness Senior, and they just didn't seem to like it to much. I do home cook also, and it's pretty close to what you make too. I just like to change it up for them, I think they probably get pretty sick and tired of eating the same thing all the time. I know I sure would.

Thanks so much again for your advice.
I have heard good and bad things about Orijen, like Shara said, the most prominent one being the runs..

I personally feed Taste of the Wild..and have found it to be amazing! Solid poops that don't stink as bad, and it's all natural.. It comes in 3 different formulas, so every time I have to buy a new bag, I get them a different formula to keep them interested!

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
gsdmama
Been Around A While

my dogs love avoderm. the avocado oil is great of their dry skin. Elsa had dry skin so bad it was terrible and she was always itching. i switched her to the avoderm and they both been on it since 2007. their coats look shiny.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

I dont use Ovaderm but my friend nextdoor does for her dog and from what I know, her dog loves it and has been doing well on it.
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

We tried Orijen a while back, and it was to rich for the dobermans, but was fine with the others. Instead of feeding different food to different dogs, we switched them all to Diamond Naturals and evrybody is fine. No more runnies!
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
1dogbreeds
Site Regular

yes
you have heard right , high protein is not going to be good for old dog's , because protein food is harder to digest as compared to carbs and fat.
Dogs rule! Which is your favorite dog training method?
1dogbreeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
pdroukas
New Around Here

new food

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dogbreeds View Post
yes
you have heard right , high protein is not going to be good for old dog's , because protein food is harder to digest as compared to carbs and fat.
so what are you feeing your dog?
pdroukas is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition