Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Member Introductions » New to this forum w/ Lhasa Apso ?'s

Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
LhasaApsoFamily
New Around Here

New to this forum w/ Lhasa Apso ?'s

Any info on reputable breeders as pet owners not champions wanted.

Really considering breeding in the next two years. Wanting to purchase a female Lhasa Apso now to breed with our one year Tiger.

Have had had a hard time finding puppies in Utah. Found a akc group member for Utah that breeds champions and don't feel it is what I am wanting to do.

Got lots of info from her that has helped a lot. But I feel that I am just wanting to have an educational and loving experience for our children. Just want to have pure breed AKC Lhasa Apso puppies that others can have as pets at a decent price to enjoy with their families.

Any info for my situation would be great. We have found a litter due on Sunday that is in our city and we are excited about that.

Do any of you breed Lhasa Apsos? I would love to keep in contact with you and maybe ask you ?'s along the way.

Tami Bach
Tami Bach
LhasaApsoFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
I breed registered Ukc and Nkc American bulldogs. I just had my first litter over a year ago. I just successfully bred my male a female again and should have pups by mid august. If you need any help feel free to e-mail me.
My breeding goal is to change the way people keep and breed dogs. My pups are fully functional by the time they go home. They are housebroken and used to kids and other dogs. It is the new owners job just to keep up the training I have provided.
I can help with breeding info, as far as the breed itself maybe one of our other k9 members can help.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
LoveMyLabs
Been Around A While

I'm not sure this is where you want to be then. While there are people that have had litters that were not "champion" quality, I don't think anyone on here has ever intentionally bred "pet quality" puppies. Whether health certs were done or not...and whether or not the pedigrees were the best or not...there has always been a desire for a purpose, health or bettering the breed in some way.

Pet quality purebreds are not what a reputable breeder is about. Granted you can have CH parents and a Ch pedigree and still end up with pet quality pups...that is not the point of breeding though. If you are intent on breeding Lhasa Apso's then make sure you have the healthiest dogs possible by testing for any genetic problems the breed is predisposed to, offer a minimum 26 month genetic health guarantee, only sell on limited registration and on a spay/neuter agreement, and have good quality pedigrees with Ch's and titles within 3 generations of the parents (assuming the parents are not titled)....and make sure the parents are up to breed standards in every way (coat, color, eyes, height, weight, etc).

If you don't, then you are just a backyard breeder that, while caring for his/her dogs, is not doing anything good for the breed.

Just my .02 cents.
Tony, Kim, Gunner & Tira.
LoveMyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Labman
Been Around A While

Frankly I think it is high time somebody does try to breed quality pets. On another site somebody was worried about their yellow Lab being poorly bred because it had the pink, Dudley, nose. This was part of my reply, ''I have a lot of problems with breed standards. The Dudley nose is a good example. No you can't show your dog, but it may be healthier and better behaved than many show champions. I see thousands of Labs in the dog guide program. These are truly well breed dogs, intelligent, good temperament, healthy, great dogs all around. Many of them are quite flawed from a show standpoint including Dudley noses.''

Even with their careful breeding, the dog guide school's high standards leads to some dogs failing. They have a 6 year waiting list for their rejects that they give away. There is a market out there for fine dogs that aren't show winners.

I don't know about Lhasas, but many of the Lab breed standards such as the pink nose have little to do with the quality of the dog as a dog. I am sure you could breed fine pets without the constraints of show competition.

Last edited by Labman : 06-18-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Clean up typos
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I am in agreement, well sort of, with both LML and Labman. A reputable breeder isn't one who is breeding for the purpose of producing 'pet quality' dogs as that is the mark of a byb or on the larger scale, a puppy miller. I also believe that breeding strictly for show standards also does harm to the breeds as it only takes into consideration the look of the animal and not its overall health or physical skills, performance or intelligence. As an example, I have a lab with a slight pink or Dudley nose and although she could very easily outperform many of the labs in the show ring in skills competitions she would not be called a winner because of a silly idea that she must have a brown/black nose...because it is breed standard. Lucky that I found a breeder who is more interested in the dog's ability in the field doing what it was intended to be bred for - retrieving - and not for looks alone. And they still manage to get beautiful and healthy animals.

Considering the thousands of pet quality purebred and mutts waiting in shelters or worse being put to death because people aren't adopting but instead are choosing the lure of the purebred with papers. Perhaps you could show your family the beauty of nature at a zoo or farm and show them the generosity of giving an already existing pet a opportunity to find its place in a new home - sponsor a pet at the shelter, start adopting from other states and find them new homes, etc.

If you do choose to breed, breed the healthiest parents like 6dogmom suggested chosing only those with significant pedigrees and do not have abnormalities common to the breed.

Good luck and welcome,
Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
LhasaApsoFamily
New Around Here

I have a question..
"Whether health certs were done or not...and whether or not the pedigrees were the best or not...there has always been a desire for a purpose, health or bettering the breed in some way."

Is breeding quality healthy puppies for pets not a purpose in bettering the breed?
Tami Bach
Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by LhasaApsoFamily View Post
I have a question..
"Whether health certs were done or not...and whether or not the pedigrees were the best or not...there has always been a desire for a purpose, health or bettering the breed in some way."

Is breeding quality healthy puppies for pets not a purpose in bettering the breed?
No because there is no measurement to which to judge bettering the breed. By breeding 'pet quality' dogs you are just making more of them.

This is a good article about the reality of breeding quality dogs.

http://www.dogsincanada.com/reality-...is-really-like
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
LhasaApsoFamily
New Around Here

Thanks for your comments.

I have a question..

"If you do choose to breed, breed the healthiest parents like 6dogmom suggested chosing only those with significant pedigrees and do not have abnormalities common to the breed."

Our puppy is akc and the papers are on their way. How do I know if their pedigrees are significant? Do I do genetic testing for abnormalities or are they stated in the pedegree from their parents somehow?

We do go to the zoo and we have neighbors who live on farms and we visit there a lot.

So if you are not a breeder for show quality dogs where do you fit in of you are reputable in every other way? I don't feel we will be backyard breeders or a puppy mill.
Tami Bach
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
LhasaApsoFamily
New Around Here

Thanks so much for the article. It sounds like what we are expecting. I love that there is so much info to help people get more educated on this subject. The family we purchased our puppy from lives just around the corner from us. They grew up on farms and are very knowledgeable about breeding. The family has assured us they will help us get ready and along the way. Their teenage daughter wants to help too. We understand it is a time consuming commitment just as having children is. Thanks so much for the info.
Tami Bach
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
LhasaApsoFamily
New Around Here

Our last dog we did an adoption from the humane society and got an older dog. It was good for us because we were not interested in breeding and of course all dogs are spayed from there. She passed away 2 years later. Our children were younger then and she was easy going and fun to be with. We were so sad when she passed. Then over a year later our neighbor had puppies for sale and our kids really wanted to experience having a puppy and taking care of it. One of our children is allergic and this breed she is not allergic to. THe kids have done an excellent job caring for him and giving him time and care and he has seen the vet and is very healthy and happy. Now it has been a year since we got him and we are wanting to purchase a female and raise her. In two years if we feel comfortable with all the terms breeding requires then we plan to breed at least one litter and see how it goes for us. If it is horrible and we are not pleased we will get them fixed. And just enjoy our two pets. If it goes great and there is a demand for well breed puppies in our area then we will try again.

I think there are many out there that want to show dogs dedicate their puppies for that experience, stregnthen their blood line and that is great.

There is another large group of families that just want a healthy no genetic defects purebreed loving pet to love and care for and enjoy as a life time companion.
Tami Bach

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Member Introductions