Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Consumer reports - food

Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
Consumer reports - food

Consumer reports just did an investigation on the dog food and other things...here are a few links...what do you think of them?

http://www.consumerreports.org/healt...et-food-ov.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/healt...ood-labels.htm

And for more aditional links

http://blogs.dogster.com/vet_blog_in...-and-cat-food/
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
k9mania
Administrator

Remember to look at all different sites. So many people are specifically for dry or wet or against raw. I believe after lots of research that it depends on your ability to fix, purchase, and how the dog reacts to the foods. If you have a dog who is not putting on weight and needs to, try something different, same thing with allergies. If you have an obese dog, give less, exercise more, and maybe change the diet. It is true that commercial dog foods meet the standards but in most cases of our government standards they are the lowest common denominator, not on the dogs genetics, activity levels, etc.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Straygirl
New Around Here

Interesting. I am a firm believer that it all depends on the dog. Some dogs will do great on raw, others have stomachs that will never really tolerate it, some dogs have allergies, some don't, some do better on chicken, others on lamb or fish, etc, etc.

As far as the quality of the food affecting their health.......I look at it this way - My kids would probably be just fine, maybe overweight, but would probably be outwardly pretty healthy if they ate fast food all the time. Am I going to feed them fast food all the time? No way.

Growing up my parents fed our dogs Ol' Roy or the equivalent. Our dogs were healthy and lived long lives. Could they have been healthier, had more energy, had shinier coats, better breath, fewer loose stools? You betcha. We just were not educated enough about dog health and nutrition at the time to know it.
Straygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straygirl View Post
Interesting. I am a firm believer that it all depends on the dog. Some dogs will do great on raw, others have stomachs that will never really tolerate it, some dogs have allergies, some don't, some do better on chicken, others on lamb or fish, etc, etc.

As far as the quality of the food affecting their health.......I look at it this way - My kids would probably be just fine, maybe overweight, but would probably be outwardly pretty healthy if they ate fast food all the time. Am I going to feed them fast food all the time? No way.

Growing up my parents fed our dogs Ol' Roy or the equivalent. Our dogs were healthy and lived long lives. Could they have been healthier, had more energy, had shinier coats, better breath, fewer loose stools? You betcha. We just were not educated enough about dog health and nutrition at the time to know it.
Well put! My thoughts exactly.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I think that, just like people, dogs may need a different diet depending upon their needs. I had Cassie on Beneful dry kibble and Pedigree canned for a while but found that she was frequently off her food for no particular reason, her stools were always loose and highly coloured (greenish poo ) and she vomitted on occassion for no apparent reason. When the pet food scare happened I took a good look and smell (eew!) of her dog food and decided to make some changes. Luckily none of her food was involved in the recall.

I firmly believe that the higher quality dog food will cost you more money but save you money in the end (pun coming...). Her stools are firm, normal in colour and smaller because there is less garbage filler in the food and she hasn't vomitted after a meal since the change. I supplement the dog food with a homemade meatloaf because she was a fussy eater and, heck, I'd probably go off my food too if I was fed the same dry and unappealing stuff day in day out for years . We have always fed our dogs table scraps too but in very small amounts as an added treat... and we're Scottish so being thirfty and not throwing good food away is our motto . After all, dogs have been raised for thousands of years on what human's tossed their way.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
Well technically they are all from the website, she got the consumer links from dogster.

I think that they should stick to doing reports on products such as "best hair brush" "cages" "leashes, toys" and so on. Each food product affects dogs differently.

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #7
Labman
Been Around A While

While that isn't the sort of solid, well constructed, controlled study I like to base my decisions on, there certainly isn't even a study as good that has the opposite conclusion. The premium and alternative diets have nothing supporting them except speculation, junk science, fear mongering, distortions, and snob appeal.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition