Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Please, help re feeding Lexcee?????

Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Unhappy Please, help re feeding Lexcee?????

I really need some help. Lexcee had her surgery on Friday and up to now she is doing very well except in one area. She has always been a fussy eater, but now I am at my wits end as to what to do. She will not eat, I have tried so many healthy dog foods dry & wet, even tried making my own but she will not eat any. I know she is not sick because if I give her a treat she will gobble it up so I guess my question is how long is it safe to let her not eat and not cater to her (give her treats). I know that "they will eat when they are ready", but is there anything I can give her to help induce her to eat?

She is a healthy 9 pounds now and the vet says she is a healthy puppy. She is drinking well too. Is there anything I can give her to help or should I just stand firm. I feel so guilty and I do not want her to get sick. Also now her poops are off. She used to go in the morning and late afternoon and she has not gone at all today. It has been about 3 days since she ate a good meal.

All suggestions would be appreciated. A worried mommy
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I would cut out all treats until she eats a good meal. i know its hard to do but it is for the best.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I would cut out all treats until she eats a good meal. i know its hard to do but it is for the best.
I agree. I would call the vet to see if he can give you an appatite stimulant. They taste nasty usually but they work. You can also get some vita gel, it tastes good and you only need to give I think like a teaspoons worth for a whole days nutrition. That is all I know to do. I hope this helps and I hope our little girl gets to eating better for you. Good luck and let us know.
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Talk to your vet about giving Lexcee some Pepsid AC (regular strength). I believe the capsules come in 10 mg, for Lexcee you could give her 1/4 a tablet twice a day. Or you can buy generic famatodine (again, regular strength), its the same thing.
Lexcee's tummy might be upset from surgery and the anethesia.

Poor girl, I hope she feels better quickly!

Last edited by Shells_k : 01-14-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
lucy was off her food for almost a week after being spayed.

she managed on scrambled eggs, chicken and rice, plain yoghurt and porridge made with denkavit milk substitute

hope she gets well soon

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

I would get back with your vet. I see no problem with a dog going a few days without eating, but this is close to a week. Bribing a dog to eat with rich food seldom is the right answer. Nor is the medication some other dog was given in a different case.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #7
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Ya Hoo she finally ate a meal tonight. I stuck by my guns and did not give her any treats. It was not a large one but she did eat. Thank you so much for all of your advice. I was going to wait until Thursday morning and then call the vet, but thank god she has come to her senses.
I know it was mostly my fault for allowing her to get spoiled and trust me I have learned my lesson. It goes to show that when they say that a dog will eat when they are hungry they are really right.

Thanks again for all your advice and good thoughts, keep your fingers crossed she keeps it up lol.

Susan A happy mommy
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition