Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » I tried something new!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
RescueSquad
Site Regular

Send a message via MSN to RescueSquad Send a message via Yahoo to RescueSquad
I tried something new!

I was at Sam's the other day and found a big can of chopped ocean clams. I bought it for the cats but they don't seem to care for them so I mixed some into the dog's home made food. The recipe this week is of calves liver and chicken breast. They LOVED it! So every day they get a tablespoon of chopped clams in their food bowl. Boy they are about killing each other to get to their crates at dinner time. There is a lot of sodium in the clam juice so I poured that out and rinsed the clams with water then stored the dish in the refrigerator. I think I'll use these clams once in a while just to give them a different taste. They do eat canned salmon and jack mackerl on occasion but this must have been a real treat for them.

Hugs
RescueSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #2
k9mania
Administrator

Once a week my dogs eat canned mackerel and sardines. They love it. I am on Omas Pride right now and they love it. It is ground turkey including organs, bones, etc. They eat that at night and canned and kibble in the day.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

My dogs get nothing but a complete and balanced dog chow. How do clams compare to the AAFCO requirments?
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Furbilator
Been Around A While

The omega three in fish doesn't hurt the dogs any, in fact it is great for the heart, skin and coat. However I don't know if clams have the same omega3 benefits. Just using it as a protein source there isn't any harm with a treat now and again. Just watch for intestinal upset and don't keep the clams for too long in the refrigerator as they can spoil quite quickly.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
RescueSquad
Site Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
My dogs get nothing but a complete and balanced dog chow. How do clams compare to the AAFCO requirments?
I've been feeding home cooked foods for years and the dogs couldn't be healthier. My vet tells me their blood panels are perfect and all my dogs are at the perfect weight.

AAFCO has it's place in regulating nutritional balances in professionally manufactured dog foods but I prefered to use a private canine nutritionist to make up my recipes. It was expensive yes, but now I know exactly what to feed and how much...

I have a collection of several recipes and they consist of either liver, chicken, salmon or jack mackerel in any combination with vegetables, oatmeal, fruit, cottage cheese and eggs. It's a complete balanced meal for my kids and they love it.

The clams were just a perk for a few days. They're all gone now and were enjoyed thoroughly!

I love cooking for the dogs and for my cats.

hugs to all
Judy and the Rescue Squad
Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
Labman
Been Around A While

http://www.avma.org/press/releases/0...made_diets.asp
Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #7
RescueSquad
Site Regular

Oh I agree table scraps contain way too many things that aren't good for a dog. Onions, salt and preservatives. That's why I used a nutritionist to plan my recipes.

This might interest you and it's just one of the many reasons I don't feed kibble. This does not pertain to all manufacturers but it does emcompass the majority.

http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/APIarticle

Hugs
Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
Labman
Been Around A While

I am sorry, but I don't buy into such allegtions.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
RescueSquad
Site Regular

Ok, no problem. Then we will just have to agree to disagree and move on.

Hugs

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition