Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Rachel Ray's dog friendly recipe has onions

Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Rachel Ray's dog friendly recipe has onions

Is Rachael Ray trying to kill dogs?

December 30, 2:12 PM
by Dan Olsen,

From Rachael Ray's website:I miss my girl Boo every minute of every day. Boo was more than a dog; she was a true companion. I can still hear her talking away, snorting and grunting in the background of my busy life. When she passed away suddenly, I became obsessed with finding her again...
We call our new girl Isaboo. Isabella was always my favorite name for a girl, and Boo was my favorite girl, so we combined the names and got "Isaboo." She started taste-testing my newest cookbook right away. We have another really good eater here! Arf-O! (Yum-O!)
The recipe is called, Isaboo's Butternut Squash Mac and Cheddar. Her site shows a picture of her dog eating the dish. However, here's the catch...the recipe contains onions. Onions for crying out loud, and it's in her section called Pet Friendly. Canine Killers would be a more appropriate title for that recipe.

Read the rest of the article to find out how onion toxicity effects your dog:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2213-Phoenix-Dogs-Examiner~y2008m12d30-Is-Rachael-Ray-trying-to-kill-dogs
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Alright that is a bit weird. I mean vets will disagree when it comes to garlic, but the onion is hardly ever disputed, its general concensus that it does no good to dogs. I took a look at the recipe, and it says 1/2 of a medium onion.... thats a lot! I'm not sure what to think...

ETA: Looked closely at the recipe...also calls for 2 cups of chicken broth, something sometimes high in sodium, not very healthy for dogs either.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition