Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Feeding Canned Pumpkin Regularly?

Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Feeding Canned Pumpkin Regularly?

Hello, recently i had a problem with my female having very watery stools so i was recommended canned pumpkin to mix in with her food, well needles to say she loves it. I also have some 6 week old puppies that are liking it too, mixed in with their wet food. So I'm curious if anyone thinks that this would be a problem to feed them canned pumpkin regularly? Or is it ok? It seems healthy enough but I'm just wondering if anyone knows something i don't and if it is not good to feed it regularly.
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I only feed canned pumpkin when there is a problem. If you can afford it, adding a little bit is good for them since it has good vitamins and is acting like an appetizer.

If you take the dog off the canned pumpkin and the dog goes back to having bathroom issues I would take her to the vet, there might be a problem with her digestive system that the canned pumpkin is "covering up."
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

Dogs don't digest even cooked vegetables very well. I doubt they are getting much out of it except the fiber. It doesn't hurt anything, but I would want to know the cause of the problem. I would have the vet check a stool sample for parasites.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
No parasites, she has been check, the explanation for the watery stools was the fact that she is a nursing mom, the vet said sometimes their bodies over compensate by pushing everything/food through their system very fast I guess, which is why she has watery stools. Although I have noticed a difference when I use other foods. I normally feed chicken soup for dog lovers, which was changed to chicken soup for puppy lovers while she was pregnant and she is still on it now, she never had the watery stool until after giving birth, and yes e pumpkin does help with it, but sometimes if I use the wellness brand of food or pro plan it seems the wateriness will go away some. It's almost like the food is causing it, but it was never an issue until after her giving birth. Anyone have an opinion? She has been check for parasites and some other stuff too, but she was given a clean bill of health. I don't suspect any illness either because she is very active and there is not chnge in behavior or appetite or anything that would lead me to believe that there was a real issue. So I do trust and believe the Vet about it just being a post partum thing.

What about the puppies? They don't have lose stool, but they seem to like the pumpkin, think it's for them?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Labman
Been Around A While

Well, the pumpkin is harmless. If it helps getting her through pregnancy and nursing and then the problem goes away, how bad can it be?

I have a real ''dog food and nothing else'' bias, but there are exceptions.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I agree the pumpkin wont hurt them but... I would rather find the cause of the problem. I am not really buying the she is nursing so it is causing the diarrhea. I have had several litters plus i know other breeders that have had many litters and none of them have had watery stools from nursing. And anyways at 6 weeks your pups should be doine nursing and eating regular hard puppy food. Mom can be switched back to her normal food.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Thank you! I appreciate your insight. I think what I'm going to do though is stop the pumpkin, for now anyway, to see if her stools have gone back to normal because yrs she is pretty much done nursing at this point. I have read somewhere about the lose stool when nursing theory but you guys are right it is important to figure out what is up with the loose stool. I will keep you posted over the next days to see what happens without any pumpkin. Again, thank you everyone!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Furbilator
Been Around A While

All the pumpkin adds is more fibre and a bit of vitamins. Most vegetables for either humans or animals are eaten for those reasons (fibre and vitamins) anyway so why not continue. Unless it is too costly, there is absoultely nothing wrong with regularly feeding high fibre, natural and unprocessed foods like pumpkin. I feed Cassie a variety of foods in addition to her dry kibble and she is healthy as can be. When she was on 100% dog food she regularly turned up her nose at it, had bouts of vomiting and diarrehea, etc. When the dog food scare happened a few years ago I reevaluated the some of the dry and canned dog food out there and decided to supliment with a home made recipe of ground meat (poultry, beef, venison, etc.), whole grains (rice, oatmeal) and a variety of veggies and some table scraps (pasta, stew, meat bits, etc.). She happily hasn't turned her nose up once to her Cassie Casserole. I'm careful to avoid corn as it is undigestable to dogs but I usually just shred up veggies and add it to her casserole willy nilly. This time of year when pumpkins and other squashes are very abundant and cheap you can get pumpkin for a steal and whip up a few pumpkin cookies, add it to their meal as a straight veggie side dish or add it to a meatloaf like I do. Perfectly safe and healthy too.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Wow! Thank you so much Fubilator! I've stopped the pumpkin to see if she still had lose stool and she most of the time didn't but occasionally did have watery stool. So I think I may not feed it everyday now but maybe I will do it more often and I'd like the idea of trying other veggies. My dogs are big veggie and fruit lovers, so it does seem like a good idea to try whatever is in season and cheap to grind up and through in to her food. Thank you very much for your suggestions!

If you have any good recipes with fruit or veggies I'd love to hear them!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
Labman
Been Around A While

Properly processed, corn is digestable, http://www.ddgs.umn.edu/articles-com...ins%20in--.pdf

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition