Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news » Becareful About Your Identity

Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Exclamation Becareful About Your Identity

I want to remind everyone, but especially our young members, you need to not put up too much information on the site. You even need to be careful about your private discussions. Too much can lead bad people reading posts to targeting you. Please be careful. We all know that there could be people monitoring the forum so that they have enough information to pretend to be someone to make contact and not for a friendly chat; it could be for a scam or something much more serious. Please don't put up posts that ask too much information. I care about each and everyone of you. Those of us over 18 have a duty to protect our young members. I appreciate your help in keeping everyone safe
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
molliesmum
Been Around A While

I agree. We are getting quite a few 'I am ticked of with my parents' threads. I understand that young adults get angry with their parents every once in a while. Please try to remember, there are sick people out there that are willing to lend a friendly ear, and their motives are not always as they appear to be.

Please be careful.

Maria. x
molliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
gsdmama
Been Around A While

I agree that we all need to be careful no matter what age we are. I have many friends that are in law enforcement and I hear and see things that are disturbing that people normally don't hear about.

So we all need to be very careful.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Yeah, I know sometimes we feel confortable enough with those that we have known for a while, but like I said in the other thread, anyone can be looking at this info. We shouldn't be afraid to say "I can't share that info with you/on here" nor should we be offended if someone tells us that. Its all for our safety.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Parents should take on the responsibility of monitoring the sites that their kids access or websites such as: MySpace, Facebook, AIM, etc. as well as their e-mail and Instant messaging. It is too much for me to try to monitor so I don't even allow my kids any of that. They used to have e-mail and it got abused, so I canceled their e-mail accounts. Now, they just rely on texting, which by the way, I randomly check also.

I've even advised my kids that if they receive any pictures of their friends, they should not pass it on as you never know what may pop up on the internet, modified, etc.
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
caninejan
Been Around A While

Thank you for posting this warning!!!! This is a very valid concern. I would never want to find out someone got into serious trouble using a forum such as this!
caninejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonFowner View Post
Parents should take on the responsibility of monitoring the sites that their kids access or websites such as: MySpace, Facebook, AIM, etc. as well as their e-mail and Instant messaging. It is too much for me to try to monitor so I don't even allow my kids any of that. They used to have e-mail and it got abused, so I canceled their e-mail accounts. Now, they just rely on texting, which by the way, I randomly check also.

I've even advised my kids that if they receive any pictures of their friends, they should not pass it on as you never know what may pop up on the internet, modified, etc.
My mom has parental controls and im not even allowed on myspace/facebook. I don't see what is wrong with AIM. I think parents need to watch there kids but I think going overboard with not being able to email and IM is absurd. My mom wouldnt let me on this one dog site until I was 14. Then she decided to let me have some freedom. It is up to the kid to have enough brains not to give out the info.

It is moreless like school. The parents tell there kids not to buy into peer pressure, Say no to drugs and beer and s*x. It is up to the child then to have enough sense. They are taught early what can happen if you do drugs and drink. They know that they can be thrown into juvie and so forth. They might be kids but they should know better and they have been warned. It is then there fault if they try a drug or drink a beer. They have to pay the price.

Same goes for being online. If there isnt some trust within the parent and the child then the child will not want to listen. My mom was like that and it caused me to react in a mean way and lots of resentment. I know there are creeps on there. I know that myspace is bad, I don't go on there. If I can listen to my mom and stay off of the sites that are super bad, she trusts me that who I choose to Instant message is okay and that I won't give out information willingly to people.

I've trusted some people with my adress and number. Those people i've known over a year. Some I seen through webcam, some through voice chat. Some through photos. I test a person before I trust them a little bit. I know a crimminals and bad persons weakness. I watched crime shows. If I find something suspisious, I confront them. I get there answer I look into it. Nobody can tell the same story 2ice if it is a lie. So, I test them again with the same question later on down the road.

I would like to point out though that, these big freak parade people don't just target kids. They attack people of any age. I've seen reports of college students and people in there 40's getting attacked and killed by online perverts. Some people seem to think that because they are an adult that they no longer have to worry about perverts.
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
caninejan
Been Around A While

Your point re: any age is at risk...true. Good point.
I'm happy that you are careful, unfortunately, not everyone is.
It's very easy for someone to prey on those with bad family situations or those with poor self esteem. I think that goes for any age, yes?
caninejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry8740 View Post
My mom has parental controls and im not even allowed on myspace/facebook. I don't see what is wrong with AIM. I think parents need to watch there kids but I think going overboard with not being able to email and IM is absurd. My mom wouldnt let me on this one dog site until I was 14. Then she decided to let me have some freedom. It is up to the kid to have enough brains not to give out the info.

It is moreless like school. The parents tell there kids not to buy into peer pressure, Say no to drugs and beer and s*x. It is up to the child then to have enough sense. They are taught early what can happen if you do drugs and drink. They know that they can be thrown into juvie and so forth. They might be kids but they should know better and they have been warned. It is then there fault if they try a drug or drink a beer. They have to pay the price.

Same goes for being online. If there isnt some trust within the parent and the child then the child will not want to listen. My mom was like that and it caused me to react in a mean way and lots of resentment. I know there are creeps on there. I know that myspace is bad, I don't go on there. If I can listen to my mom and stay off of the sites that are super bad, she trusts me that who I choose to Instant message is okay and that I won't give out information willingly to people.

I've trusted some people with my adress and number. Those people i've known over a year. Some I seen through webcam, some through voice chat. Some through photos. I test a person before I trust them a little bit. I know a crimminals and bad persons weakness. I watched crime shows. If I find something suspisious, I confront them. I get there answer I look into it. Nobody can tell the same story 2ice if it is a lie. So, I test them again with the same question later on down the road.

I would like to point out though that, these big freak parade people don't just target kids. They attack people of any age. I've seen reports of college students and people in there 40's getting attacked and killed by online perverts. Some people seem to think that because they are an adult that they no longer have to worry about perverts.
I trust my kids. It's the others I don't trust. As a parent, it is my responsibilty to know who they are in contact with and who contacts them. For a parent to give ALL freedom to a minor under 18 is not being a very responsible parent in my opinion. As they get older, they will earn a certain amount of freedom with what they do in their lives, but as an early teen, along comes ignorance and naivety. It is my job as a parent to monitor and regulate. My kids have not complained and are perfectly happy with what they are able to do today.

Because of the technology our kids have access to today have caused us parents to be over cautious. In fact, my son's HS is having a parent talk tonight on how to be aware and protect your teen while using the internet. Not sure I will make the parent talk.
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonFowner View Post
I trust my kids. It's the others I don't trust. As a parent, it is my responsibilty to know who they are in contact with and who contacts them. For a parent to give ALL freedom to a minor under 18 is not being a very responsible parent in my opinion. As they get older, they will earn a certain amount of freedom with what they do in their lives, but as an early teen, along comes ignorance and naivety. It is my job as a parent to monitor and regulate. My kids have not complained and are perfectly happy with what they are able to do today.

Because of the technology our kids have access to today have caused us parents to be over cautious. In fact, my son's HS is having a parent talk tonight on how to be aware and protect your teen while using the internet. Not sure I will make the parent talk.
My mom is strict. She don't want to be responsible for my actions. I am not allowed to go into a store or even outside without her being present. I am not even allowed hang with friends because my mom said it is a disaster waiting to happen.

She use to moniter my internet use and sometimes she does if I backtalk her or she feels like I am hiding something. She quit checking my AIM friends about a year ago. In order to get that freedom I had to show her I was trustworthy.

I think it is all a matter of common sense. Like I said above, the parent tells the child the risks like in school. If the child does not abide, then its up to the parent to do something. I am for giving things a try instead of hard core strictness. My mom is one of the strictest people I know. She wouldnt even let me have make up until 4 months ago and she still chooses my clothing. It has to be a certain length, she dont want my belly or privites showing. For pants, I am not allowed shorts in public and the pants cannot be tight or baggy. So for her to let me have the blessing of talking to whoever with trust, is a little piece of freedom.

I know you cannot trust others but you cant trust others in your own town, real life. The door swings both ways!!

Anyway, back on topic... I think it is good to remind people not to trust and not to forget. Even adults too. Anyone or any age or race or sex can be a victim. Wheather or not it is robbery, assult, rape, kidnapping, using your ID to put there crime waves on you, anyone can be a victim.
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news